Girls' hair brads - any pictures?

coleland

Mouseketeer
I've been reading a lot about how people make reservations on the ship and get approached on the beaches for braids - does anyone have a picture of their daughter that they would share so I can get an idea just how much braiding is involved? Thanks :)

I don't have a pic--but think like Bo Derek in 10 with her braids--that's if you get the whole head done.

In non-DCL cruises of the past--I have seen different variations--depending on how much of your head you would like done.

Both of my DD's got their hair braided on the ship. They had the front half of their head done. It was a total of 24 braids. I remember this because it cost $1.00 per braid and I paid $24.00 each for them. It took about 45 minutes to do. If you decide to do it, do it the first day or two. The people on the islands REALLY bug you about letting them do it. You cannot walk 10 feet without someone asking you to braid their hair. It looks really cute.

If you choose to have the braiding done on the ship, is making an appointment part of the "ressie rush"? Will it be listed where to go to make such an appointment?

You'll have your first navigator waiting for you in your cabin, and it will be listed there. Mine from 4/24 says appointments were taken in Preludes, Deck 4 forward from 5:30-6:30 the first evening.

I believe the cornrow braids are $2 apiece, and loose braids are $1 a piece. The cornrows can either go the length of the head, or stop at about the place that you would put a standard headband. The second option is called "headband" or "crown" style. When you book, they'll ask you which kind you want.

Some people have said that their child had a lot of pain with the braiding (they do pull it tight), or that their child had a lot of hair breakage (seems to be worse with fine hair). My DD did say that they pulled, but she didn't cry or complain. We left them in about 2-3 weeks, and she didn't have much more hair come out than would normally be there in a brushing.

If you do this, TAKE SUNSCREEN for the child's scalp. I highly recommend the coppertone sport spray, because it it easy to apply to the parts. And think about what color beads you want. If your child has a beautiful red gown for formal night, you wouldn't want her to have purple and pink beads in her hair!

DD#1 had a "crown" braid last year and it was 13 braids, $26. It was very cute and lasted a month! This year she has a musical 2 weeks after we return so we'll have to take them out earlier, but she's still doing it.
Robin M.

My daughter and I had ours done on castaway cay..no reservation..they weren't that busy.

Hubby had to take them both out within hours, as they were so tight we couldn't stand it. My daughter said..they aren't suppose to be like this..so tight. She had had braiding before.

You can have one or two just hanging off to the side in the front of the face..that is what a lot of the little girls were having done, or the whole head..up to you.

We tried to get our dd's hair braided on the ship but they were full so we waited until St. Maarten and had it done at Orient Beach. I have a few pics of her on here:

http://community.webshots.com/user/hydster

If you click on either the last link called 5-1 to 5-8 there is a pic of my dd with our cabin attendant and you can see her "headband" if you are interested. She had 23 braids done to the top of her crown and we got ripped off in the end and paid 46 for her to have it done when the girl originally told me 30. But she looked cute and lesson learned. She kept it in for 10 days!

HTH

Heidi

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter