Girls clothing

I feel your pain. I see so many kids my dd's ages (8 and 9) that look like mini teenagers (or worse!). I've had very good luck with Gymboree, polos from GAP or RLPolo. I've also used kellys kids, wooden soldier and straussberg kids online.

Wait until she's just between childrens and juniors sizes. :rolleyes2

Pants are too long, tops are too low cut. My DD is starting to develop, and it's so hard to find a bra that isn't heavily padded at that size. I know women who are smaller on top want to look bigger, but an 11 year old doesn't!

That goes along with the "everyone is wearing them" thing. DD11 does have some of these bras and at first I wasn't so sure about them but they do provide more coverage then her old sports bras and she was getting self conscious about that so we bought the padded bras. I did find some at Kohl's that were 'lightly lined". They weren't padded but they had more fabric then a sports bra but they were cut like a regular bra.

We have had good luck at Justice for pants for DD. They come in varying stages of rise--you can buy the low rise but they have normal ones too. Kohl's used to be our number one choice but their girls clothing has gotten a lot worse the past couple years. We had really good luck at Target last year for shorts, lots of bermuda shorts that weren't low rise. For shirts, Aeropostile has been a great place to shop. Their prices are GREAT and they are stylish without being hoochie. Most of the time we can find shirts there for around $5, often less then that even.

I just needed to add that we went to Target yesterday to buy DD7 a bathing suit. What is it with the little skimpy bikinis for the little ones. I refuse to buy my DD a triangle top bikini. Luckily, she understands that those clothes are just not appropriate for her.

My dd is 10 and boy she hates shopping.:lmao:

We shop all over. I just bought her a T Shirt at JCPenny's yesterday. I think they had Polo's, it is hard to remember.
You have to do your homework and go into every store every year. You just never know what you will find.

Sporting good stores are great for plain shorts and shirts.:thumbsup2

I just needed to add that we went to Target yesterday to buy DD7 a bathing suit. What is it with the little skimpy bikinis for the little ones. I refuse to buy my DD a triangle top bikini. Luckily, she understands that those clothes are just not appropriate for her.

I ended up going to a sporting goods store and bought an expensive "Speedo" one piece.
I think it was "Dick's Sporting Goods". Pretty suits, yes they were 60...however they were well made and since we have a pool now I wanted her to have a good suit.

For fear of giving up my source... I will share my favorite online/catalog shopping place for my dd it is miniboden. The clothes are funky but appropriate and we don't see every other child wearing it when we go to a party. She loves that. They have the cutest dresses too! I buy her pants at the gap or old navy because they have slims. For basic solid tees and polos I usually do miniboden(love their colors!) or just landsend- I shop there for bathing suits too. If you are shopping at the mall good luck- that is where the clothes are just not tween friendly imho. (you can find stuff at khols and macy's though) Thankfully as long as it is not pink dd will wear it.

I ended up going to a sporting goods store and bought an expensive "Speedo" one piece.
I think it was "Dick's Sporting Goods". Pretty suits, yes they were 60...however they were well made and since we have a pool now I wanted her to have a good suit.
Check Costco in the future- they always have speedos for kids for around $20. I got dd 2 last year and they were great suits.

Check Costco in the future- they always have speedos for kids for around $20. I got dd 2 last year and they were great suits.

Well...I had to buy this 2 months ago when no one had suits. DD had a swim thing at school she had to do.

But for 20, I am going to check out Costco this year since she will need a few more suits.:thumbsup2

On the bathing suits... come on now- I was a target too and floored by what they had. My dd won't wear a bikini and they only had 3 one pieces to choose from. The one "conservative one" was the only one that was almost sold out- with only 2 sizes left. While there were tons of the others. I like lands end but I can't get a tankini for dd because she wears a slim(only one in the family by the way....:scared: ) and the size she needs to cover her falls off her waist. I do like their tugless tanks though. And she'll wear those too!

Kohl's carries Speedo suits too and being Kohl's they are always on sale.

Gymboree- thank goodness they go to size 12 now! I also shop at LL Bean (hard to be hoochie when you're wearing outdoors wear!) and Target. My older dd is 6 and very tall and thin. I can see the problems coming when she hits the tween years.

Gymboree- thank goodness they go to size 12 now! I also shop at LL Bean (hard to be hoochie when you're wearing outdoors wear!) and Target. My older dd is 6 and very tall and thin. I can see the problems coming when she hits the tween years.

My DD11 would DIE if I bought Gymboree clothing for her now--just a heads up. She doesn't like the hoochie clothing but the cutisie stuff from Gymboree would be worse.

Lands End intoduced a tankini in slim, my friend just ordered one for her daughter, you may want to check.

We hate the "lil hooker" look too, and call many of the suits "**** danger" suits, not that there is a **** there, but you know.

My daughter 9 just discovered Justice, and we are happy with them, she feels stylin' and I was impressed with the prices on the sales rack.

You have to pick and choose and try on, that is the basic deal. I will allow some t-shirts with sayings, but they have to be g-rated, like I love cats or somthing like that, again then she feels like she is in style, but I am not concerned about the underlying message. Oh and no writing on the butt, except for gymnastics shorts, because they only come that way, seriously, and they say the name of the gym, but we only wear them to work out at the gym.

Mother of two daughters here . . . I understand your complaints perfectly! I buy things from Lands End; yes, they're expensive, so I buy fewer outfits and do laundry more frequently. I like the Children's Place for my younger daughter, but my older one's sized-out of their things now.

I will not lower my standards and allow the smart-a$$ tee-shirts or the short-short skirts. My daugthers are worth more than that.

Well...I had to buy this 2 months ago when no one had suits. DD had a swim thing at school she had to do.

But for 20, I am going to check out Costco this year since she will need a few more suits.:thumbsup2

I just bought my 11 year old 2 Speedos at Sam's Club. A really cute one piece and a 2 piece that was NOT a skimpy bikini. They were about $12 each. I know Costco has them for about the same price as well.

You have to pick and choose and try on, that is the basic deal. I will allow some t-shirts with sayings, but they have to be g-rated, like I love cats or somthing like that, again then she feels like she is in style, but I am not concerned about the underlying message. Oh and no writing on the butt, except for gymnastics shorts, because they only come that way, seriously, and they say the name of the gym, but we only wear them to work out at the gym.

While reading this thread, I kept on wondering why wouldn't want any sayings on a t-shirt.
I mean, there are the hoochie ones, but I have shirts saying "the one and only Minnie Mouse" and so on, I mean, there is nothing wrong with that, right? Not even for kids?
:confused3

While reading this thread, I kept on wondering why wouldn't want any sayings on a t-shirt.
I mean, there are the hoochie ones, but I have shirts saying "the one and only Minnie Mouse" and so on, I mean, there is nothing wrong with that, right? Not even for kids?

The "cute" ones aren't a problem for most of us...it's the ones that are, shall we say, more "advanced" that cause the problem. And, unfortunately, they are out there for sale for young girls. I'm often shocked by what I see on the racks! Stuff I wouldn't even wear, much less allow on my daughter! And we're talking the regular stores in the mall, Target, etc.

Dd is 10.5 yrs old and we buy most of her clothes at Justice. I too am not a big fan od t-shirts with sayings. She does have 2, one that says Talking is Not a Crime (which is very fitting) and one that says Everyone Loves a Brown Eyed Girl. Oh yeah I got her one from Ltd2 that says Little Girl Big Dreams (I love that one.)

Our problem is that dd is extremely petite. She is wearing a 7 slim for the length, but the waist is still big and I do buy her shirts a little bigger hoping that they will last longer. I have a problem trying to find clothes that make her look like she is 10.5, not 6. I do find that Justice does have some nice shirts and we like their jeans.

Luckily she goes to catholic school and is at the gym all the time since she is a competitive gymnast, so she is usually in a school uniform or a leo and sweats or shorts. I just need a few outfits for when she is off from the gym or school (also a few outfits for our disney trips!)

For bathing suits, we have had some luck at Old Navy, also at Target. I usually buy her the tankini style suits (easier for peeing). I agree with most in regards to the bathing suits, what are these places thinking with the triangle style tops - do not like on my child at all!

We were at the mall and a boy was wearing a t-shirt that said 'My sister is a witch". He was about 9 or so, his sister and mom were with him. It is these kinds of shirts that I wouldn't buy. Even my DS11 commented that he would never wear something like that.

A lot of the girls shirts say things like "eye candy", etc. No, never in a million years would I let my 11 year old wear something like that, although a lot of girls at school do. She has a couple t-shirts with sayings on them, one is "life's too short to clean my room". That is ok especially since in her case it is TRUE.

FYI, Children's Place has some really cute polos on sale for $9.99. I don't know if they're too young looking for a 9yo, but they're fairly plain.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter