Girl Scout leader admits stealing cash from troop cookie funds

lisajl

DIS Veteran
Mar 7, 2:58 PM EST

Girl Scout leader admits stealing cash from troop cookie funds

DELAWARE, Ohio (AP) -- A former Girl Scout leader admitted she stole about $5,000 that her troop raised through cookie sales and other fundraisers to pay personal expenses, including her cell phone bill.

Teresa Wickline, 42, faces up to one year in prison after her guilty plea to theft Monday in Delaware County Common Pleas Court. The judge could choose to sentence her to probation.

A financial report in January 2006 showed that Troop 225 had $8 in its checking account when more than $5,000 had been raised since 2001.

Parents of girls in the troop contacted the Girl Scouts Seal of Ohio Council, which investigated and alerted authorities after discovering that checks written from the account had bounced.

"A Girl Scout troop leader is a trusted person on par with a parent," Prosecutor Dave Yost said. "A violation of trust always makes a crime more serious and a violation of trust of this magnitude, it boggles the mind."

Wickline, of Lewis Center, north of Columbus, faces a $2,500 fine at sentencing April 11, when a judge also would address whether she must pay the money back, said Traci Beck, spokeswoman for the prosecutor's office.

---

Information from: The Columbus Dispatch, http://www.dispatch.com

Sadly, that doesn't shock me!

Doesn't surprise me at all. It happened in my DSis's town by a leader that I know (she always was trash). The parent's felt bad for the woman. Figured she needed the money more then the girls did so they disbanded the troop and refused to press charges. I know I'm supposed to be forgiving but stealing from innocent kids really gets to me.:sad2:

I guess it does me. This is my hometown and where I am currently living.
It's just sad...we have definately lost our hometown/everyone knows everyone and trusts everyone feel.

Doesn't surprise me at all. It happened in my DSis's town by a leader that I know (she always was trash). The parent's felt bad for the woman. Figured she needed the money more then the girls did so they disbanded the troop and refused to press charges. I know I'm supposed to be forgiving but stealing from innocent kids really gets to me.:sad2:

I hate to tell those parents but that thief stole money from the Girl Scout organization itself and deserving kids not just from their daughters. I *know* I would have pressed charges.

agnes!

I hope they make her pay it back. What would it prove if she didn't?

I guess it does me. This is my hometown and where I am currently living.
It's just sad...we have definately lost our hometown/everyone knows everyone and trusts everyone feel.

So sorry about that loss of a neighborly feeling. Nothing like getting stabbed in the back by people you know. Just try to remember all the good things that happen where you live, all the nice people...like *you* :teeth: !

agnes!

This is a really SORE subject with me.

I was in one troop where the leader left money on the table in an unlocked house in full view while she ran an errand...and surprise, someone came in and took the money. I had already left the troop and started another one but it still made me mad; the reason I left is this woman tried to make ME look like I was incompetent to run me off. At least the community could see for themselves who the REAL problem was but I felt SO bad for the girls...

And then the other one...I ended up taking a year off when my brownies bridged to juniors, and the troop that DD10 ended up in...well, after I ALMOST agreed to step in as co-leader this year, it was revealed to me by a third party that one of the troop moms still owed $400 in cookie money from the year before and no one wanted to report it.
:mad:

Long story short, we're done with scouts.
:sad2:

I am not surprised either, but she is the exception to the rule.

Since 2001? I think that Council should reexamine how and when they audit the troops' records and troops also should take action to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Sadly, I'm not surprised. I've read similar stories that involved PTA members. A few years ago, there was a local story where one mom stole $30K from PTA, it was all over the news.:sad2: :sad2:

So sad.....:( We had one of those in my Sorority, which is and supports other charities. Keeping money intended for accessible playgrounds was one of my favorites. She even served as her chapter's Treasurer and it was during that tenure that she was exposed and she was driven out. It makes me sick, since people like her give a black-eye to superb service organizations.

Last year it happened to our troop. The woman took cookies and the money. GS COuncil will go after them and prosecute. They don't mess around. THey called me after it happend to us and got all the info I had on this woman. I was really upset. This year I decided not to be a group leader. I was such a wreck last year when it happened that i just couldnt do it again this year. I hate GS cookies now!!! It is unimaginable that a parent would do that to children. It's really sick.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter