Girl Scout Campout at the Fort

Christina Blanco

Earning My Ears
Next February, we are taking our GS Brownie troop to campout at Fort Wilderness. Im looking for some great ideas to do with the girls in the campground and in the Magic Kingdom, including great meal options. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Fun!

For meal ideas, I would hit up Pinterest, but here are some meals that work for a camping stove (no open fire at FW, sadly).

Grilled burgers/hot dogs, Mac and cheese
Walking tacos (Fritos with chili and toppings, and can be served right in the little frito bag. Using canned chili makes it a lot easier)
Quesadillas (canned chicken, shredded cheese, tortillas)
You can even make camping packets on the grill if you want...put some ground beef, tater tots, veggies, butter and seasonings in aluminum foil, and cook for about an hour.

There is a "nature trail" to the wilderness lodge. Also, I wonder if they would do a group thing with the horses if you called ahead? It was pricey but a nice ride.

How many girls do you have and are they all over the age of 7 or 9? Archery lessons are available for ages 7+ but it's limited to 10. Horseback riding is for ages 9+ but there are pony rides for younger kids. Bikes, canoes, fishing poles, boats, and limited sports equipment are available for rent. You could do wagon rides, visit the campfire sing-a-long, watch the Electric Water Pageant and Wishes from the beach. There's hiking trails and swimming pools available too.

Assuming you are tent camping at the group campsites - Bring things (balls (volleyball, basketball), frisbees, bubbles, crafts like tie-dye tshirts etc) for them to do at the campsite while you are cooking/relaxing at camp. The group camping area is really nice and big for them to have fun! The firepit setup in the group campground is ideal. If you can bring their own bikes, they would love to be able to ride them around. Wagon ride, campfire singalong, swimming pool. You can also look at some of the GS badge guides - it's the perfect setting to do some of the Brownie badges! I don't know about you, but it isn't very often that I have the girls in an outdoor setting together to tackle some of those badges! One note - Try not to stress out about getting a lot scheduled for them to do. Getting from place to place takes time at FW, especially with a group. So, make it fun and give yourself plenty of time for transportation. That will be part of the fun anyway! They will love walking around FW.

You can get takeaway food from Trails End Restaurant at FW. If you want to eat together at a sit-down meal, Trails End is a really yummy and affordable buffet for breakfast or lunch. My 10 year-old and 4 year-old loved it! At the MK, Pinnochio's Restaurant overlooking It's a Small World is a favorite place for counter service. Also, Gaston's Tavern is a fun place to go have a snack.

Go easy on yourself for breakfasts. Get them yogurts, granola bars, cereal, etc. Also, if anyone has a mini-fridge, you can bring that to your campsite. We did in March for our family. (Again, I am assuming you are tent camping, not staying in the cabins.) Also, bring plenty of bottled water with you. I bought gallon jugs of water from Big Lots and then fill up water bottles to bring to the parks. Oh, the ice machine at the group campground only takes quarters, so bring quarters if you need ice and/or to use the laundry room.

Last edited:
(no open fire at FW, sadly)
Actually, the group campsites have firepits. I am not sure if Disney builds the fire for you - you'd have to check that out with FW. We were in the 1900 loop directly across from the group campsites. The group campsites had fires in the firepit every night we were there for spring break.
We brought our own portable, covered firepit and lit campfires 2 nights out of 7.

Actually, the group campsites have firepits. I am not sure if Disney builds the fire for you - you'd have to check that out with FW. We were in the 1900 loop directly across from the group campsites. The group campsites had fires in the firepit every night we were there for spring break.
We brought our own portable, covered firepit and lit campfires 2 nights out of 7.

How many girls do you have and are they all over the age of 7 or 9? Archery lessons are available for ages 7+ but it's limited to 10. Horseback riding is for ages 9+ but there are pony rides for younger kids. Bikes, canoes, fishing poles, boats, and limited sports equipment are available for rent. You could do wagon rides, visit the campfire sing-a-long, watch the Electric Water Pageant and Wishes from the beach. There's hiking trails and swimming pools available too.
Yes

Yes, all of our girls are over the age of 7 :) hadn't thought of archery! Thanks for the great tips!!!

Thank
Assuming you are tent camping at the group campsites - Bring things (balls (volleyball, basketball), frisbees, bubbles, crafts like tie-dye tshirts etc) for them to do at the campsite while you are cooking/relaxing at camp. The group camping area is really nice and big for them to have fun! The firepit setup in the group campground is ideal. If you can bring their own bikes, they would love to be able to ride them around. Wagon ride, campfire singalong, swimming pool. You can also look at some of the GS badge guides - it's the perfect setting to do some of the Brownie badges! I don't know about you, but it isn't very often that I have the girls in an outdoor setting together to tackle some of those badges! One note - Try not to stress out about getting a lot scheduled for them to do. Getting from place to place takes time at FW, especially with a group. So, make it fun and give yourself plenty of time for transportation. That will be part of the fun anyway! They will love walking around FW.

You can get takeaway food from Trails End Restaurant at FW. If you want to eat together at a sit-down meal, Trails End is a really yummy and affordable buffet for breakfast or lunch. My 10 year-old and 4 year-old loved it! At the MK, Pinnochio's Restaurant overlooking It's a Small World is a favorite place for counter service. Also, Gaston's Tavern is a fun place to go have a snack.

Go easy on yourself for breakfasts. Get them yogurts, granola bars, cereal, etc. Also, if anyone has a mini-fridge, you can bring that to your campsite. We did in March for our family. (Again, I am assuming you are tent camping, not staying in the cabins.) Also, bring plenty of bottled water with you. I bought gallon jugs of water from Big Lots and then fill up water bottles to bring to the parks. Oh, the ice machine at the group campground only takes quarters, so bring quarters if you need ice and/or to use the laundry room.
you for all the great info!!! We are planning to tent camp but we are looking into getting individual sites near the campfire sing-a-long but am considering the group area. By sure what'd be best

1) Chaperone to a Brownie Troup at The Fort?
2) Kind of like herding cats !!!
3) We wish you REALLY good fortune.
4) I thought I was brave, but I have no guts for such a task.

Thank

you for all the great info!!! We are planning to tent camp but we are looking into getting individual sites near the campfire sing-a-long but am considering the group area. By sure what'd be best

You're probably going to have an easier time if you go the group site way. There's no guarantee that you'd have campsites by each other, plus there's the road that makes up the loop. Probably better to keep everybody corralled together.

Do any of you know if there are any letterboxing or geocaching opportunities in Ft. Wilderness or on Disney property?

This is geocaching picture.... Doesn't really looking anything in Fort....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 7

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter