Girl Scout Badge activities and WDW

fan_of_wdw

Mouseketeer
For a complete, up-to-date, looooong list, go farther down the thread! 7/8/03

Hi there... I am a DH with a 10 year old Junior GS DD. I am also an assitant leader to her troop. I am always on the look out for activities that will help my daughter (and her troop) get credit toward GS badges.

Right now, as we preparing for our Oct. 3rd trip, I am trolling for things in the badge book that we have to do to get ready for the trip.

What I wanted to ask is if anybody has a list (either mental or written) of activities at WDW that match up directly with Jr. badge activities? I figure there are two categories here, one for activities related to preparing for the trip, and another for things happening at the parks (should be a ton of stuff at EP and AK).

So I'll start with some ideas I have:

PREPARATION

"Walking for Fitness"
#3 - Best Foot Forward - getting new walking shoes for the trip
#5 - Be Prepared - putting together a firstaid kit
#6 - Fast Food - Pack a well-balanced snack

"Math Whiz"
#4 - Calculate Your Flight Time - depending how far you are from WDW, you may need a globe for this!

"Traveler"
#1 - Stay Safe on the Road - have an emergency plan at the park
#2 - Promote a Place - send off for the video!

"On My Way"
#1 - Create a Travel Postcard -
#2 - What Would You Do? - share details about tickets and reservations
#3 - Travel Bug -
#7 - I'd Take... -
#9 - Travel Safe - have an emergency plan at the park
#10 - Pack Up! -

THERE
"Traveler"
#4 Document the Days - photo journal
#3 Culturally Curious - talk to some of the international CM (EP/AK)

"Earth Connection"
#6 - Saving Animals and Plants - Conservation Station? AK
#7 - Adapt or Perish - ?

"Science Slueth"
#1 What's Vibration Got to Do with It? - Sounds Dangerous! hands on section (MGM)

"Oil Up"
Ellen and Bill Nye have got help with this one somehow! EP

"Discovering Technology"
#10 - Then and Now - Carousel of Progress? MK
Need some help here... what should we look for in Innoventions? EP

"Dance"
#5 - Dance Around the World - Your GS can definitely find some inspiration for this one in World Showcase!

"Collecting Hobbies"
Pin trading, of course!
#1 - Building Your Colleciton -
#2 - Share your collection with others -
#7 - Go on a Treasure Hunt -
#9 - Collecting Globally -

"Theater"
#9 - Theater Around the World - Does the Japan area do a Kabuki play or Bunraku puppets?
#10 - See It Live! - Beauty and the Beast, Hunchback, Tarzan Rocks, etc. Take your pick!

"Consumer Power"
#7 - Tie-Ins - Duh! Its Disney, for heavens sake!

"Celebrating People"
#10 - It's a Plearsure - Learn greetings from CM around the World Showcase

"Water Wonders"
#4 - Life Underwater - The Living Sea or Shark Reef at Typhoon Lagoon

"Write All About It"
#1 - Write from the Start- Keep a journal of your WDW trip.
#3 - Memoirs Are Memories - If you don't keep a journal, describe your trip after you get home!

"World Neighbors"
#10 - Clothing All Over the World - Checking out all the CM's clothing is a sure bet
World Shocase at EP - what should we look for?

"Drawing and Painting"
#5 - In Shape - Sit in on a character drawing lesson at DisneyQuest... all the characters are based on basic shapes!

"Humans and Habitats" and "Food Power"
The Land at EP - again, what should we look for?

I realize that some of these require some preparation or some guidance by a parent/adult to make sure that an activity is completed, and not just a near miss. But it doesn't take much to make a "leaning moment".

Do the childrens activities around World Showcase EP match any GS badge activities?

What else at Epcot and Animal Kingdom (and even MGM) matches up to GS badge activities?

What goes on at World of Sports that a girl could use towards all the sport badges?

The safety section of the Test Track should help with Car Care badge, but nothing quite jives.

And don't worry, we will still have lots of time for FUN! But if it is easy, convenient, and fun to do a badge activity, we will!

Thanks!

Would you like a job wih a troop in Virginia?:teeth: Wow!! Some great ideas here!!! I don't have the time now to address these but I will try to get back to your thread tonight after the kiddies are in bed! Your dd is a very lucky young lady to have a Dad so involved in Girl Scouting!!

Dream, I'm starting to think we should get Gerry to tour the country giving troop inspirational seminars!!!

I want him too!!!!!

There was a good idea from Mystery Machine over on the GS hula thread too!

Why don't you give the local council a call? They might have some materials or even an interest patch your daughter might earn.

Girl Scouts of Citrus Council
341 N. Mills Ave.
Orlando, FL 32803
(407) 896-4475

Well, its summer time again, so I figured I would give this thread a bump, as well as an update!

Our trip in October was terrific, and we did NOT spend the whole trip working on badge!

We ended up doing 5 activities towards the "Collecting Hobbies" badge, by way of pin trading... as well as two activites to finish "Walking for Fitness" (#5 & 6), and the vibration/sound activity to finish up the "Science Slueth" badge.

For "Collection Hobbies" , for #2 - "Share Your Collection with Others", DD got her pin bag sorted out and organized before leaving for WDW.

An evening excursion to the Contempory for an official Disney Pin meet helped with #3 - "Meet Other Collectors". She started out in the children's special trading area, but soon migrated over with the adults... on the boat back to Wilderness Lodge she confessed that trading with adults is WAY more fun!

We took our bags to Pin Central at EPCOT, and found a young Japanese woman who spoke nary a word of English. She had pin bags loaded with DL Tokyo, Disney Store Japan, and Disney Sea pins (all somewhat hard to find under normal circumstance!). The young lady saw that my DD collected Ariel pins, and the trading started in ernest! #9 - "Collecting Globally".

On our last day, we sought out Scoop, the "expert", at the MK Exposition Hall. There were quite a few adults there ready to start trading with Scoop, but he defered to my DD, and did a talk and show on how pins are made. She got a "Magical Moments" certificate afterwards, and to Scoops suprise, many of the adults wanted one too! Scoop was terrific, and gifted my DD a couple of nice Minnie Mouse pins. #4 - "Be the Expert". Side note... while waiting for Scoop, there was a small Girl Scout display in the Exibition hall that we were looking at, and an older lady approached us (she was waiting for Scoop also), and showed us her old Girl Scout sash... on the back side of which she keeps her pins!

The whole trip, DD was on the prowl for Minnie Mouse and Ariel pins, as well as the elusive "lanyard" pins... #7 - "Go on a Treasure Hunt"

I have compiled a more complete list than is posted above.

Please send an email to Gerry@NorvellDesigns.com and I will send you a nicely formated document, ready to print!

Or cut & paste the full list below:

Junior Girl Scout Activities at
Walt Disney World

Unlike most theme parks, Walt Disney World (WDW) provides a very rich learning environment. Many of these will be found at EPCOT and Animal Kingdom. This is not intended to be a check list of everything for a Girl Scout to do or look for on one trip to the World. It is recommended that a JGS pick one or two badges to work on in depth, or maybe a way to satisfy that one more activity to finish a badge. If nothing else, your trip to Walt Disney World could provide some inspiration to work on a new badge once you are back home.

Some of these activities require some preparation. Some guidance by a parent/adult may be needed to make sure that an activity is completed, and not just a near miss. The Badgebook needs to be consulted on each activity to ensure the requirements are met… many of these may be only partially completed at the park, and may need some follow up at home (write down observations, thoughts, feelings, etc.).

If a badge below does not have a numbered activity listed, then the WDW attraction is of just general interest to the badge, or requires more preparation or planning.

AEROSPACE or SKY SEARCH
Mission: SPACE (opening fall of 2003) at EPCOT

ART TO WEAR
#5 – Pattern Maker – make matching shirts for the whole family prior to going

BOOKS
Read on the road trip to WDW!

CAMERA SHOTS
#3 – Be a Sports Photographer – catch the action at the World of Sports
#4 – Landscape – lots to shoot for this

CAR CARE
The queue at Test Track a lot about safety testing of cars. (EP)

CELEBRATING PEOPLE
#10 – It's a Pleasure – Learn greetings from Cast Members around the World Showcase (EP) (with the help of the Passport).

COLLECTING HOBBIES (Pin trading, of course)
#2 – Share your collection with others – Get your pins organized for presentation
#3 – Meeting Other Collectors – you can’t trade if you don’t meet!
#4 – Be an Expert - Meet "Scoop", a pin expert, at the Exhibition Hall at MK
#7 – Go on a Treasure Hunt – Trade for the pins that you need to fill in your collection
#9 – Collecting Globally – Specifically trade for some international pins (Paris, Tokyo, DisneySea)

CONSUMER POWER
#7 – Tie-Ins – Duh! Its Disney, for heaven's sake!

DANCE
#5 – Dance Around the World – Your GS can definitely find some inspiration for this one in World Showcase at EPCOT or at the Polynesian Luau!
#6 – Lines & Squares - You may have an opportunity to do this at the Fort Wilderness Campground.

DISCOVERING TECHNOLOGY
#9 – The Future Is Here – Innoventions may have much to offer (EP).
#10 – Then and Now – Carousel of Progress for technology (MK) or Spaceship Earth for communications (EP)

DRAWING AND PAINTING
#1 – Media Savvy – At ImageWorks at EPCOT, transform a picture of yourself, then send it to someone over the Internet.
#5 – In Shape – Sit in on a character drawing lesson at DisneyQuest (DTD)... all the characters are based on basic shapes!
#7 – It’s How You Look at It – Explore perspective by way of 3-D images in Honey, I Shrunk the Audience (EP), or MuppetVision 3-D (MGM).

EARTH CONNECTION
#6 – Saving Animals and Plants – Rafiki’s Planet Watch (AK)
#10 – Earth as an Ecosystem - Rafiki’s Planet Watch (AK) & ) & Kali River Rapids ride (AK) &
Living With The Land (EP)

ECO-ACTION
#10 – Women’s Work – Check out the Eco-Heroes exhibit at Rafiki’s Planet Watch (AK)

FINDING YOUR WAY
Have your GS carry the map, navigate the parks, and understand the legends.

FOLK ARTS
#7 – Folk Arts Around the Globe – you can do a bit of this throughout World Showcase (EP)

FOOD POWER
The Land at EPCOT for several activities.

GLOBAL AWARENESS
Visit World Showcase at EPCOT

GLOBE TROTTING
#6 – Map It Out – Get some ideas in the World Showcase (EP)

HEALTHIER YOU
Check out the Wonders of Life pavilion (EP).

HIGHWAY TO HEALTH
#5 - Eating on the Run - gee, we don't do *that* at Disney!

HORSE FAN
#4 – Horses Through History – Visit the Tri-Circle-D Ranch museum at Fort Wilderness
Fort Wilderness Trail Ride

HUMANS AND HABITATS
#4 - Your life would be different if....-
#7 - Break Bread - Go to World Showcase and eat!
#8 - The World Close to Home – Eat some more!
The Land and World Showcase at EPCOT

MATH WHIZ
#4 – Calculate Your Flight Time – depending how far you are from WDW, you may need a globe for this!

MODEL CITIZEN
#3 - Global Citizen – Talk to international Cast Members and compare life in US to life in their country
#8 - Red, White and Blue – The Wilderness Lodge has a flag family each day

MUSIC FAN
#2 - Listening to something new – World Showcase (EP) & street musicians at AK
#6 - Folk songs from Afar – World Showcase (EP) & street musicians at AK
#7 - Careers in music – Talk to some of the CM's after a performance.
#9 - Nature's call! – Animal Kingdom, even Rain Forest Café!

OIL UP
#2 – Fossil Facts - Universe of Energy pavilion / Ellen's Energy Adventure (EP)

ON MY WAY
#1 – Create a Travel Postcard -
#2 – What Would You Do? – share details about tickets and reservations
#3 – Travel Bug -
#7 – I'd Take... –
#9 – Travel Safe – have an emergency plan at the park
#10 – Pack Up! -

PLANTS AND ANIMALS
At Animal Kingdom, complete the Safari Stations (the ones where you have to do different activities and collect stamps) to finish this one.

PRINTS AND GRAPHICS
Make matching shirts for the whole family using some of the techniques from this badge (stamp, stencil, silk screen)

ROCKS ROCK
#9 – Fossil Fun – Learn more about fossils on trails near Dinosaur! Attraction (AK).

SCIENCE DISCOVERY
#6 - Become a Scientist - At Conservation Station (AK), talk to a veterinarian, or at scientist at Living Sea (EP)
#9 – See What? – Try "Journey into Imagination" with Figment (EP) for some neat optical illusions, and the Haunted Mansion also (MK)!

SCIENCE SLEUTH
#1 What's Vibration Got to Do with It? – Sounds Dangerous! hands on section after show (MGM)

SMALL CRAFT
Canoes, sailboats, and motor boats are available at Fort Wilderness Campground.

THEATER
#9 – Theater Around the World – Does the Japan area at EPCOT do a Kabuki play or Bunraku puppets?
#10 – See It Live! – Beauty and the Beast (MGM), Tarzan Rocks (AK), Festival of the Lion King (AK), etc. Take your pick!

TRAVELER
#1 – Stay Safe on the Road – have an emergency plan at the park
#2 – Promote a Place – send off for the video!
#3 – Culturally Curious – talk to some of the international CM (EP/AK)
#4 – Document the Days – photo journal

VISUAL ARTS
#10 – Putting It In Perspective – See an example of "forced perspective" at MGM (view down the street at the skyscrapers).

WALKING FOR FITNESS
#3 – Best Foot Forward – getting new walking shoes for the trip
#5 – Be Prepared – putting together a first aid kit for the park
#6 – Fast Food – Pack a well-balanced snack for the park

WATER WONDERS
#4 – Life Underwater – The Living Sea (EP) or Shark Reef at Typhoon Lagoon

WILDLIFE
At Animal Kingdom, ask some questions of the Cast Member's that hang out in places like the bat area and the aviaries.

WRITE ALL ABOUT IT
#1 – Write from the Start– Keep a journal of your WDW trip.
#3 – Memoirs Are Memories – If you don't keep a journal, describe your trip after you get home! Or write about a "Magical Moment"… you will know it, when it happens!

WORLD NEIGHBORS
#10 – Clothing All Over the World – Checking out all the Cast Member's clothing is a sure bet at World Showcase in EPCOT

Abbreviations:
AK - Animal Kingdom
CM - Cast Member (Disney Employee)
DTD - Downtown Disney
EP - EPCOT
MGM - MGM Studios
MK - Magic Kingdom
WDW - Walt Disney World

Last updated July 6, 2003
Prepared by Gerry Norvell, Asst. Leader, Troop 2463, Circle T Council, Fort Worth, Texas.

good grief!!! In all the planning, making reservations, FUND RAISING beyond belief, and everything else going with taking my troop to WDW for 5 days next June (And 4 more on DCL) it really never occured to me to tie in so many unique opportunites! Although my girls are Senior Girl Scouts, it gave me alot to think about! Thanks so much!!

I am a Brownie Leader in Cross Timbers Council.
Although we just bridged from Daisy's we will be Juniors in a few years and I will definitely keep this list.
My family goes do WDW once a year and usually twice. That would be combining my favorites of WDW, kids and scouts.
Thanks!

Thanks for the great list, Gerry. I just e-mailed it to our troop leader!

I wondered why interest had waned! Ha! My little girl scout is 21, and graduates from college in another 3 months! :yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter