Ginger for motion sickness??

mouseketeer_times_2

Dreaming of Disney
I read on the DIS to take Ginger for motion sickness. Does anyone know what form of ginger? I saw ginger root at Walmart and wondered if that was what I needed or if it was in a different form. :confused3

TIA!

I've used some type of drops that are almost like cough drops. I got them at the drug store. I think ginger works in any form to settle your stomach. I'm not sure that it can be used to prevent motion sickness though. Have just never head that. Good luck.

I just read in our local paper in the "People's Pharmacy Q & A" column that ginger does work for motion sickness especially seasickness. I think they said something about a drop or tablet that you can get at a Health food store. Let us know if and where you find it and how it works as we are going on the Disney cruise next year.

Thanks!!

Mary

While in Hawaii, we took ginger tablets the day before our catamaran tour as well as drank ginger ale and it did seem to help with the motion sickness a lot. We were hitting some huge waves and I didn't get motion sick at all!

When we went on a cruise earlier this year, I got a rX for one of those patches you wear behind your ear...it worked for the first day and a half or so, but after that...EEK! They didn't work so well for me :crazy2:

Mythbusters did a segment on this...they used a placebo, ginger pills, prescription meds, over the counter meds, and that bracelet thing. The only thing that worked was the ginger pills.

I haven't taken it for motion sickness, but I have when I had an upset stomach and it was gone within a half hour.

You can get the pills either at health food stores or even at Walmart. Crystalized ginger (that's found in the Asian section of the grocery store) works as well.

mouseketeer_times_2 said:
I read on the DIS to take Ginger for motion sickness. Does anyone know what form of ginger? I saw ginger root at Walmart and wondered if that was what I needed or if it was in a different form. :confused3

TIA!

That is what my family used for our last trip. We bought the ginger root tablets at Walmart. They worked wonders for us. They also worked when we went on a dinner cruise in Michigan this summer. My husband is very susceptible to motion sickness. He was able to ride quite a few rides that he wouldn't even normally attempt with no problems. I usually get a little queasy on some that I ride all the time and didn't have that problem this time. We took one at night and one in the morning starting the day before our trip until we returned home. My daughter also used them for the state fair this year.

ETA: I had read any form of ginger would work and the ginger root tablets was the first thing that I found. Other forms included ginger candy and ginger cookies.

Ginger works great for motion sickness in any form. My dad sails all the time and says it works the best of anything.

I used it this summer on a 9 day car trip all over New England with my son's boy scout troop. I was in the backseat the whole time and never had a problem. I took pills/tablets my husband got at the whole foods store. I highly recommend them.

ENJOY

I too have heard that the ginger tablets work well. My question is, how many tablets do you take ? :confused:

I like the crystallized ginger you get in the asian or health food section of the grocery store. Works like a charm, and I love the taste!
As far as the ginger tablets, it'll probably say on the bottle, no?

:wave: I can get VERY seasick during big waves and have used most treatments. Just my experience, but when I used ginger on a cruise during some rough seas I did not get so nauseated that I had to puke :faint: but I did not feel like eating anything at all - and half my enjoyable cruise experiences include the food! :goodvibes So I went back to taking Bonine, and could eat again. You might want to take a couple different remedies along and try one at a time and then if it doesn't work for you you'll already have something else to try.

Nothing worse than being seasick! :rolleyes2

Kinda makes sense. Am I the only one who remembers their mom bringing in flat ginger ale to drink when you were sick? I wanted the bubbles but loved the taste. I still crave it at times when I am feel queazy. :crazy2:

Donald - my hero said:
Kinda makes sense. Am I the only one who remembers their mom bringing in flat ginger ale to drink when you were sick? I wanted the bubbles but loved the taste. I still crave it at times when I am feel queazy. :crazy2:

My mom did that too...I can remember standing there watching my mom pour the soda back and forth between two cups to get rid of the fizz. And I would keep asking here "isn't that enough?" because I wanted the bubbles in! :rotfl:

My mom goes to a local herb store and buys ginger in powder form and buys empty capsules and makes them herself.

Has anyone ever tried Ginger Altoids as a motion sickness cure? I like the idea of taking Ginger and I'm thinking of Ginger Snaps for the Yumminess factor but I was wondering if anyone has had the Altoid version of them.

I have gotten the powder from a health food store and put it into empty capsules also. This has worked pretty good for me. Also when the motion sickness is going to be mild, I will eat some ginger snaps before hand instead of the capsules.

Bonine or the generic is available at Ekerd. I have a severe motion sickness problem that I have under control. As others have suggested start taking it the day before (night before) and then the next morning. I had no problems on any rides or on a week long cruise.
P.S.: Watch what you eat before starting activities that could cause problems like fatty and greasy foods that don't digest easily. :stir:

You can also grate some fresh ginger and make a tea out of it. Just grate a bit pour hot water and let it steep for a bit. I add sugar or honey because I am not a huge ginger fan. I realy works!!! Great for morning sickness too!!! Have not tried the tablets though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter