Gifts for Teachers

Ginny Favers

DIS Veteran
Is it normal/appropriate to give end-of-year gifts to teachers?

I really want to thank DD5's kindergarten teacher. In September, she was too young to be admitted into the public school but he spoke with her and then assured me that she would be fine in his kindergarten. I was wary because she is strong-willed and had no interest in learning to read or do anything else...but I enrolled her, figuring she could always repeat, if necessary.

Last night, I sat down with her and a pile of books and she read every single one of them to me, better than I could myself! When I thought about it, I realized that this was the kid that couldn't and wouldn't read AT ALL in September. To me, it's nothing short of a miracle, and I think he is a very big part of that.

So, I'd love to thank him. I know he likes fishing, so I was thinking of giving him a gift certificate to LL Bean or something, but I'm not sure how much to spend. What do you think? Do you give gifts to teachers at the end of the year? Help?

$20 gc for for Christmas and end of year, plus $5 for class gift for these occassions.

I really want to thank DD5's kindergarten teacher. In September, she was too young to be admitted into the public school but he spoke with her and then assured me that she would be fine in his kindergarten. I was wary because she is strong-willed and had no interest in learning to read or do anything else...but I enrolled her, figuring she could always repeat, if necessary.

Last night, I sat down with her and a pile of books and she read every single one of them to me, better than I could myself! When I thought about it, I realized that this was the kid that couldn't and wouldn't read AT ALL in September. To me, it's nothing short of a miracle, and I think he is a very big part of that.

So, I'd love to thank him. I know he likes fishing, so I was thinking of giving him a gift certificate to LL Bean or something, but I'm not sure how much to spend. What do you think? Do you give gifts to teachers at the end of the year? Help?

We do get gifts for teachers for end of year, and if we had an experience like you sound like you you have had--where the teacher was exceptional or went out of their way to help my child--I would do a little more.

I agree with the previous poster that gift cards are the best bet--maybe to a sporting goods store in this case. We usually do a restaurant and make the card enough to pay for one full meal for the teacher and spouse.

As someone who works in schools, I want you to know how kind it is of you to appreciate his efforts. If I were him, the thing I would like most is a heartfelt thank you note and a gift certificate for classroom supplies or maybe some books for the classroom. Personal gifts are very kind but really aren't necessary. Some schools actually prohibit them (I wish ours did). :)

Yes, we do end of the year gifts and at Christmas. Gift cards are great. SInce he likes fishing, LLBean, Cabela's and stores like that would be great for him and I'm sure he'll really appreciate it. :)

How about something homemade that your daughter makes for her teacher? A nice picture or card, something that she creates from the heart.

This past Christmas my kids made their teacher gifts instead of buying them something and both teachers told me several times how much they appreciated and valued the gifts because they were made by XXXX. The teachers said the gifts meant a lot to them because the kids took their time and put themselves into it.

Sometimes a gift from the heart, especially when it's a thank you, says a lot more than a gift card or store bought gift.

Thanks for the guidance everyone. I was wary during Christmas about appearing to be "buying" special attention from the teacher, so we only gave antibacterial soaps. Since she is moving on to another school and will not be seeing him again, I do want to do something special... I definitely will write him a note of thank you and have DD make something for him as well. I will check into whether the gift card is allowed.

How about a giftcard to Bass Pro Shops?

It's always nice to let a teacher know what a positive influence they had on your life, and I'm sure your daughter's teacher would truly appreciate it. :goodvibes

A nice heartfelt letter with a copy to the principal/supervisor. As a non tenured teacher, those letters go a long way. Even if he is tenured, this gets in the teachers file.

If he likes fishing, I say gift card to Bass Pro Shop or Cabelas.:thumbsup2

I would also send the principal a letter explaining how much this particular teacher has helped your DD. Principals tend to hear more about problems than positive experiences, so a happy letter is a nice change of pace.

As a teacher, I totally agree with the suggestions of writing the teacher a note detailing what it has meant for your daughter to have had him as her teacher :goodvibes I have every letter ever written to me by parents and treasure them :love: This can be done in addition to a gift card :yay:

I think getting a gift to show your appreciation is a really nice idea. I would only suggest nothing that involves ceramics or candy. I've gotten more mugs and candy than I can account for. No matter what you get him I'm sure he will appreciate the thanks.

Teachers are paid to teach. They are paid a salary(a salary they know isn't up to par with the work load) and yet they still accept the job of teaching.

When a teacher wants to come to my house and follow up with my child on a homework assignment then they deserve a gift. Until then just be glad my child is moving on to the next grade and consider that your year end reward.

Sorry if I step on toes but I have zero sympathy for teachers.

We always do gifts. All three of my kids have had an expressive language delay and were admitted in to the pre school program for speech at our elementary school. DS (my oldest, now in kindergarten) was in the first class when the program was started 3 years ago. My youngest just started last week. The teacher is amazing.

We always do a gift card along with a card letting her know how much we appreciate her and how wonderful she is etc (didnt' think to cc the principal, will do that this year). In addition to those, we always do something homemade for her and the aid in her class. Last year, we made a crayon wreath for the teacher and for the aid (who was leaving), a hand print tree on canvas with the quote "Thank you for helping us grow." My kids signed it at the bottom along with the year. I know those gifts were both really appreciated. We've also done a straw bag (cheapie found at Target) filled with all the makings for s'mores, an iced coffee cup and lemonade, a beach bag with a towel, gift card to barnes and noble, sunscreen and some beach toys, etc etc.

You can also ask what kind of things they need for the classroom. I'm not sure about the upper grades but you can usually donate books and toys. We recently donated our kids table and chairs to the speech room. Our state has made some serious cuts to education, I'm sure other states have done the same. Teachers can always use supplies.

Teachers are paid to teach. They are paid a salary(a salary they know isn't up to par with the work load) and yet they still accept the job of teaching.

When a teacher wants to come to my house and follow up with my child on a homework assignment then they deserve a gift. Until then just be glad my child is moving on to the next grade and consider that your year end reward.

Most likely because you aren't one. Yes, they are paid to teach and if that was all they had to do they would be thrilled. Their job also requires them to be guidance counselors, nurses, secretaries, computer experts, and a parent figure that will just listen to a child. ANY type of thank you gift would be very appreciated.

Not to hijack the thread but my math teacher was a friend of my parents. One might my parents were out & my brother was home & Math Teacher called to talk to them about something. My brother mentioned he was having trouble with his math homework. Math Teacher drove to my parents house & worked with him for a good hour making sure he got it. I once drove to his house & sat at his kitchen table getting help while his son sat at the other end doing his homework. He use to tell stories of entire classes stopping by for help.
As a teacher myself I would say a letter to the principal of the school would be very welcome. Such things tend to go in teachers files & are valuable IMO.

As a parent I often sent heartfelt letters to teachers and copied the principal. My boys are now 23 and 18 and I STILL get thanks for those letters. They mean SO much.

I am now a teacher to be. For my 80 hours (practicum experience) in Kindergarten I just received a cream colored bag with the hand print of every Kindergartner with their name. I cried. The teacher, so wonderful, tucked all kinds of teacher gifts ("way to go" awards for my future students....).

In the mail she is sending a book where each student wrote me a sentence and drew a picture. (She left it at home by mistake.)

When teachers say they love notes and letters they mean it. They also appreciate gifts for their room, and just about every teacher I know enjoys a gift card. Remember it can be for $5.00. It does NOT have to be pricey. They will NOT think you are cheap. They WILL appreciate it.

I believe (after reading a PP) I'm only the 2nd person on this site who does not give teacher gifts.

I just don't think gifts are very professional, and after all the reading on here about what teachers DON'T want, I would be at a loss as what to buy anyway.

If I thought the teacher really went above and beyond I would write a letter to the principal. I would have my child write a handwritten and hand made thank you card.

Thundergod, no one said that teachers deserve sympathy of any kind. My guess is that you have been hurt by a teacher - deeply. Do yourself a favor, and stop blaming all teachers for that bad experience.

To answer the OP - a gift card as little as $5 or $10 is totally appreciated. It's really nice of you to let a teacher know that he/she has made an impact on your child's life. That teacher will treasure every word you write on a thank-you note. I have been retired for three years. Recently, I read some notes of thanks and praise that I had kept. It really "made" my afternoon!

Everyone - teachers included - deserves praise for a job well done! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter