• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Gifts for elementary school teachers????

cruisnfamily

DIS Veteran
What do you buy your kids teachers for the holidays? I sort of feel resentful that we are expected to buy a Christmas Gift, birthday gift, teacher appreciation gift, and end of the year gift for this person every year.....I don't know, maybe I'm just a big Scrooge but it seems like too much.

What really irritates me is when you chip in for a class gift and then some people go and get an additional present on their own and you look bad 'cause you didn't. Isn't the point of the class gift that you DON'T go get your own?

Anyway, generally for Christmas I buy gifts for the classrooms like books, craft supplies, etc and at the end of the year I buy something for the teacher individually.

What do you guys do? Can anyone give me some "different" ideas for the teachers this year? I have a 1st grader & a 4th grader.

Thanks!

Hi,

I always buy movie tickets that I get through Connections and they seem to go over well. I try not to get knick-knacks as I figure they get so many.

I don't mind giving them gifts as they spend so much time with my kids and I have always been lucky to get GREAT teachers.
But I can agree with this time of year you feel like you're getting nickeled and dimed (or five and ten dollared!) A LOT!

Vivienne

1st, 3rd, 5th graders

I'm going to reply to this from a few different angles.

As a parent: I want to show my appreciation to the teacher for putting their heart/soul and personal finances into educating my child. I enjoy finding a special gift for the teacher that is personalized to his/her taste. Most of all, it really seems to make my children happy to give this gift of appreciation and I feel that it is important for them to GIVE. Over the year they have RECIEVED so much from this teacher.

As a wife of a teacher: I can only speak for my husband of course, however, I don't think teacher gifts are EXPECTED, at least from the many teachers that we know. When a gift is recieved, it seems to be sincerely appreciated. The years that my husband has recieved a class gift he often has also gotten other gifts too. He DOES NOT look at the children or parents who did not get him a seperate gift in a negative way. He is always simply overwhelmed with the genorosity and thoughtfulness of his students and their parents. Additionally, it is the special letters of appreciation he has been blessed with that have meant the most to him.

Gift Ideas: Gift certificates for popular local eatery, Gift certificate for teacher supply store, certificate for movie rental with popcorn and candy, starBUCKs.

Items that teachers get TONS of that I try NOT to give: anything with an apple on it and COFFEE MUGS in any shape or form. Supplies for the class room unless my child mentions something they need.

As a teacher, I can tell you the gifts that are most appreciated and remembered are the notes and cards- with genuine anecdotes about how we are appreciated. ( I am assuming that you feel that way- however my own children have had teachers that are dreadful and I have not sent a note or gift. )

Louise

Last year when my son was in 6th grade we picked up a popcorn bucket at the local movie theatre (asked if we could purchase a few but they gave them to us). I added into the popcorn bucket 2 bottles of Stewarts Rootbeer, a can of mixed nuts, a box of chocolates, microwave popcorn, and video rental gift certificates. It seemed to go over well!

I try to end the year with a more substantial gift. Usually by the end of the year I know the teachers personalities - likes/dislikes rather well and try to pick a nice gift that I know they'd really appreciate.
:D

I think anything small is fine, its the thought that counts! When I had my dance studio, my students loved to bring me Christmas gifts, (I always gave them goodies too tho) -- I got lots of homemade goodies (cookies, candies, breads etc.) also Christmas ornaments, candles, Christmas pins, little crafty items, but TONS of mugs, so I'd stay away from that! lol!

My DH is also a teacher. I agree with the hand written cards as the most prized gifts. But some other suggestions are Book store gift certificates (ie Barnes and Noble) From many years experience the gift certificates are the best way to go. And if you want to add in a bonus of a gift relating to the gift certificate (ie popcorn bucket idea) thats a nice touch too.

I have to say though as a parent I always give the teacher a little welcome back gift basket with a variety of food items cookies, barbeque items etc. (always store bought) And the teachers always seem to love these ideas. We also give Gift certificates and card at Christmas and a card of appreciation and gift certificate for the end of school year. By no means are parents obligated to do this. A card with kind words is quite sufficient.

Hope this helps:bounce: :bounce: :Pinkbounc

Our school usually has a book fair and there is a board where the teachers put their book wish list. So I usually buy a couple of the books off their wish list and give it to them as a Christmas gift. As for the end of the school year, I like to give them grocery gift certificates. The gift certificates doesn't have to be a hugh amount since even $10.00 will buy a lot of groceries.

From working in the school system, both teaching and in other areas, I also agree that gifts are not expected. I will say that it does get depressing if you are not the teacher, but are just if not more involved with the kids and are forgotten. I worked the after school program and parents would bring gifts in for the women that the corresponded with, but not for the aides that spent more time with the kids than the 'head individuals' and coordinated all their activities. I do make sure that if I give the teacher a gift that the aide/teacher's assistance also gets a gift.

I write her a chack or give a gift certificate. DD will also buy her a little something because DD likes to watch her open something.
I purchased a GF to a Scrapbooking store this year because I know she likes to scrapbook. :)

Oh, and I always do something for the aide also. I do the aide's hair so I usually do a complimentary haircut, highlight and style for her as well as discount it throughout the year. :)

I give only at Christmas and the end of the year, myself. Teacher's Appreciation Day? Never even heard of. And I have no idea when the teacher's birthday is.

There is a good restaurant near my child's school, and I buy the teacher a gift certificate for there. I figure if she works late one night, she can use it then.

We give our kids teachers a gift certificate to a restaurant or to a book store. That way they can have dinner on us or they can buy books for themselves or the classroom. After reading everyone's suggestions, I will have the kids write a personal note as well.

I too was one of the gift certificate people. When my children where in school I used to give home made candy at Christmas time.

When I was in the classroom, I received some really nice gifts. They always came as a surprise to me and I never expected them. Cards with a personal note were the best:) The funniest gift I got was a gift box of socks. It sounds a little strange but I thought it was very practical. It ended being the gift I remember most :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter