Gift threads - Stop the Madness!

BriarRosie

<font color=blue>Creator of Tag Fairy Haiku:<br>Cl
While I think it's nice of players to gift items to others, I've noticed a lot of
new gifting threads started by players who want the gifts, not players who
are doing the donations.

Please don't start gift threads if you only want to be on the receiving end of
the gift.
If you want to donate gifts, then by all means make someone's day
brighter.

Some gift threads are items that are easily obtainable by some, like Everest
codes, Buzz Cup codes, and Tomorrowland Arcade games. Some people have
no chance getting these for themselves (like Mac computer users with the
Everest and Buzz codes), and some people just can't seem to win the
Tomorrowland games. I see no problems with people gifting these things.

But the Stitch prizes for Disneyland trips? The new Animal Kingdom quest
rooms? Asking for these as gifts seems like an insult to the people who would
be generous enough to gift these. Items like these deserve fair trades.
People spend a LOT of money to take trips to the theme parks.

Do you see people gifting Haunted Mansion or Pirate Prison rooms? No.
People trade for these.

I know that I will have difficulty getting the Stitch items or the Animal
Kingdom items because I don't have any trips planned until 2007. But I
can wait and try to trade for these items rather than get instant
gratification for them. I am not Veruca Salt. "I want it NOW" isn't
my mantra.

I feel strongly about this issue, and I really hope others understand and feel
this way, too.

I must say, I really agree with you on this one. :thumbsup2 People shouldn't be expected to gift things either. The DIS is a wonderful place because there are so many kind people who help others out, but people who aren't doing the gifting starting gift threads like that... I don't like it because if I were to go and get the Stitch hat or Animal Kingdom quest things I don't want to feel I have to gift those items because there's a donation thread about it and other people want them as well. I should be able to trade for them and not feel bad about asking for something in return for an item that was so hard to get. I love gifting things to people, I really do. I like making someone's day with gifts both small and buyable, or larger host game prizes and such. But I like doing it because it's unexpected. I think rather than making gift threads right away for such quest type items you should make a wishlist and post it into your signature or on the "What do you really want?" thread. That way people want to gift things can still look there and people who don't want to don't have to feel guilty for wanting to trade for something that they really want. I'm not trying to sound rude or anything, let's just put it this way... It's really hard to put up a "Animal Kingdom Safari room for trade" thread when there's a donation thread right next to it and not feel bad about it even though you know you shouldn't feel bad because you earned it yourself.

I could not agree with you more!

I respect a gift thread for programs that cannot be downloaded to a computer, but to basically ask for anything else free is silly. You might as well go around VMK saying "I'm poor" to everyone and join that bunch.

There was a space suit gift thread when Blast in Space first came out. That thread was successful and many Dis'ers were generous. Then another was resurrected not too long ago, but I still posted my Space Suit trade thread right next to it. I traded them cheap and I don't think it's too much to ask for some ice or anything in return for a game that takes at least 15 minutes to beat, if you're good.

I fully support people posting their offers for a rare item, but it's out of line to expect others to simply donate them. Even things like bat magic (when it was still on sale) - people were asking for free for themselves or some "relative." If players spent half the time playing the game and earning credits that they do asking for free things, they could be richer than me.

knew this was coming.... as much as i agree i make it so there is an organized list if anyone wants to help. I was no t doing it for myself. In fact i am not first on the list. I dont care if i get one or not, i would trade for it anyway

laxplaya1346 said:
knew this was coming.... as much as i agree i make it so there is an organized list if anyone wants to help. I was no t doing it for myself. In fact i am not first on the list. I dont care if i get one or not, i would trade for it anyway

What if you even called it a wishlist, rather than a gift thread? Then people who would be willing to trade for it could be put on the list and if someone wanted to gift one they could and surprise the person who was expecting to trade for it? :confused3

I totally agree with everything that has been said already.

I was actually going to post about it when I saw the latest Safari Room thread later on today, but you beat me to it - the Quest is NOT even released yet.

I feel the same way about "I am going to make this room up so how about members donate items for it" posts too.

Raineforst said:
What if you even called it a wishlist, rather than a gift thread? Then people who would be willing to trade for it could be put on the list and if someone wanted to gift one they could and surprise the person who was expecting to trade for it? :confused3

ok ive edited the post

I agree. Gift threads are fine when it is game related, but when it is quest related - I really cannot see how someone would gift it.

Lori, I apologise in advance for never being able to call you anything but Veruca Salt from now on. You could blame yourself for making the comparison ;).
--
More seriously, I agree, no gift threads for quest items. What annoys me however is when there is a gift thread for something (like everest chair) and then someone creates a whole new thread dedicated to their sorrow of the game not working and how they need one, and they get one before the people who have been waiting *patiently* in the gift thread.
Also agree with the 'look at my imagination coming up with this room theme... donate me stuff for it. Now.' disliking.

maliboomer said:
Lori, I apologise in advance for never being able to call you anything but Veruca Salt from now on. You could blame yourself for making the comparison ;).
--
More seriously, I agree, no gift threads for quest items. What annoys me however is when there is a gift thread for something (like everest chair) and then someone creates a whole new thread dedicated to their sorrow of the game not working and how they need one, and they get one before the people who have been waiting *patiently* in the gift thread.
Also agree with the 'look at my imagination coming up with this room theme... donate me stuff for it. Now.' disliking.

Well, I will giggle if you call me Veruca Salt. :)

But now you can see why those gift threads bothered me. People were
requesting Quest gifts. Even though Stitch isn't Quest, it's almost the
same, as you have to pay big $$$ to buy a hotel + tickets package to
Disneyland to get it. It's actually more difficult for some, as those who
live close to DL and WDW were able to get Quest items every few months.
(Prior to that, it was every month at the beginning of VMK.)

Hmmmmm...... wondering if we can say Veruca on VMK......... or Salt? I'll have to try it next time I log in :) :) :)

BriarRosie said:
Well, I will giggle if you call me Veruca Salt. :)

I call my kids Veruca everytime they do that whining "I want it stuff" lol- seems I had to do it the most with youngest dd lol

give the kids a break, will ya. i mean this is a disney related site, right? and isnt disney all about wishes and dreams, so what if they start a gift thread. you dont have to read it, you also dont have to send them the item either. so is it really a bother to anyone. i am quite sure that most of them know that it is an item that should be traded and most probably would trade if they had a chance too. perhaps they have done someone a favor and that someone just wants to be nice and return some magic. i think its kind of nice to see a list of what people want even if it is a gift thread. i myself have been known to just walk around the kingdom and give something away to a total stranger, just to make their day. i am quite sure, that if i had a few extra stitch hats, i would do the same and would most likely use that list and look to see who was on it and choose someone at random. i mean really we all wish for things at christmas time, doesnt mean we will get them all. lighten up a bit, dont you have anything better to do, then pick on little kids with a wish.

the meaning of gift: Something that is bestowed voluntarily and without compensation

so if you are not bestowing a gift, why are you reading the thread.

InMyOpinion, I believe BriarLori "Veruca Salt" is right on the money and I will tell you why.

I started a gold door gift thread a few moons back. The gold doors had just come out at Disneyland and they were handing them out to everyone, without regard to the 90 restriction they put on Quests and pdf redemption. In fact, as it turns out, they would give you more than one card, if you asked. So, I started a thread knowing that I would be able to gift extra gold doors because I live close enough to Disneyland to go often. But, I also knew that I would not be able to gift everyone who posted on the thread and said so. I was hoping that others who went to Disneyland would pick up some extra gold door cards and gift them to their friends and maybe if some of their friends were on the list, it would help them to know who needed the doors. This worked very well.

What was happening behind the scenes, is that I was getting PM's DAILY from those who posted on the thread demanding their gold doors NOW. They need them NOW, when can I meet them in VMK? I tried to explain that I didn't have enough to gift everyone on the thread, but the demands continued. Then posters to the thread started posting on new accounts asking for doors. Then I would PM the codes (or others would) and the codes 'wouldn't work' they need new codes NOW. - Occassionaly codes really don't work, but I didn't have new codes to send, and some of them got mad. All I could do is put them back on the list. It was amusing to see that as soon as they got the gold doors they were for trade, and some of them had gold doors for trade before they were 'gifted' from the thread.

The point is there is a lot of abuse going on with these threads. It is nice to know who needs an item, but the "magic" leaves as soon as you start getting PM's from someone you don't even know demanding that you gift them an item.

very good point and very well said, although not everyone of them, is like that. i feel for you, that they were demanding things and trying to take advantage of your kindness and those that are like that are NOT gift worthy. if i was in your shoes, i would of delelted those messages and not given it a second thought. no need to lose sleep over it, however for the innocent player, who would be appreciative of the item and gifter, they then get punished so to speak for the rudeness of others and that is unfair. we cannot group everyone together, as each person is different one from the other. to be honest, there are demanding, rude players all over vmk, that does not mean that we stop playing in the vmk. we simply overlook these situations and carry on, which is what, one can do when they see these gift threads!

inmyopinion said:
very good point and very well said, although not everyone of them, is like that. i feel for you, that they were demanding things and trying to take advantage of your kindness and those that are like that are NOT gift worthy. if i was in your shoes, i would of delelted those messages and not given it a second thought. no need to lose sleep over it, however for the innocent player, who would be appreciative of the item and gifter, they then get punished so to speak for the rudeness of others and that is unfair. we cannot group everyone together, as each person is different one from the other. to be honest, there are demanding, rude players all over vmk, that does not mean that we stop playing in the vmk. we simply overlook these situations and carry on, which is what, one can do when they see these gift threads!

Sorry for being so subtle. Doesn't it stand to reason that the same people are posting on and creating the "difficult to get" gift threads? Think about it. Also, those posters often have much more than other players do, and they could easily trade for the new stuff, if they were only willing to part with any of their stuff.

In general, I think most of us who have been here for a while limit our giving to those who contribute to our enjoyment of these boards and of our time in VMK. That doesn't mean newbies don't stand a chance to get gifted, it just means, let us get to know you before asking for stuff. Meet up with us in the game and join our conversations on the board. Later, if we find someone is missing an item, we might like to gift it, or give the person an opportunity for a really good trade.

Gift threads are not the only way to go and I think they are beginning to 'brand' certain people as beggars. (not everyone who posts on a gift thread, only those who post on EVERY gift thread, or who are new and their first half dozen posts are 'plz give me stuff'.)

I think a lot of the problem with gift thread is that the person is asking for a gift... "Hey that is cool give it to me" it is no better than the beggers everyone complains about in the game- except sure you can choose not to read the threads (something I have chosen to do- I don't read the give me this thread but I do read the "what I really want thread" and have gifted often in that one)

They could have done the same thing with a wish thread- for those who wish to get whatever- then it could be implied- I wish for this- or would like to have it- so if someone had it to give they could easily do the same.

I guess it is symantics but there is a big difference between
"Hey did you see the new Animal Kingdom room. It sure is neat- I wish I could get one. Hey anyone else who wishes they could get this room post here"
and
"Hey did you see the new Animal Kingdome Room. It sure is neat. If anyone gets extras I would like you to give me one. So anyone else who wants someone to give you a room post here"

See- both about the same thing- both say I want that, I like that, and I don't think I'll get it on my own. But one stops there- the other says, "gimme that"

I have my own (as do many others) outlandish wish list for things very difficult to obtain on the "What do you really Want" thread- that thread is simple "these are the things I want" simple and easy- people can offer to trade you for something on your list you want or they can just gift you. But there is less pressure in it-

Big/New Quest items and I'd include the Stitch stuff as the most valuable in it all (after all- it isn't like you can just go to the park on your anual pass and pick them up every three months- you have to do room, tickets and more) and when that list was started no one new if you'd get one set per reservation or a set for each person who is getting tickets- so it could have even been more unobtainable than thought... and it isn't just the original poster of these lists- those things seem to get tons of first or second time posters on them in hopes to be given something really valuable and expensive to obtain. Then we have the Animal Kingdom Quest- it isn't even officially out- sure one or two staff members have said that is how it will be obtained- but we know they sometimes have been misinformed too- it could be like gold doors where you go and ride everest and get the room cards- in which case there probably will be many- or it could be like regular quest items where again there won't be tons around.

I guess "My opinion" is that it is asking a little too much- especially when no one here even has any of it yet and as a mom of kids who are all around the DIS kids ages- I know I would not want my kids doing that- because I feel it is wrong.

And maybe some slack could be cut- I don't mind so much about the "hey I'm doing a new room and need a few things" especially after a major credit drain- because like mentioned if I want to read it I can and if I don't want to I can skip them - but I do read those sometimes and if I have a little something to contribute I will and sometimes I will go and buy the items special for that person...

I think this thread was in complaint to asking for the big things- and the others although sometimes annoying (Especially when the person may ask for donations of buyables one time then go on in a post shortly after and post about extensive credits or how many things they just bought that are unrelated to the room they are asking for donations for)...

I guess some have just come to expect so much generosity from DIS board members that it gets pushed a bit- I think most love to give and love to help out the kids- and new members- but at the same time no one should be taking members and their generosity for granted.

but this is just my opinon...

Califgirl said:
Sorry for being so subtle. Doesn't it stand to reason that the same people are posting on and creating the "difficult to get" gift threads? Think about it. Also, those posters often have much more than other players do, and they could easily trade for the new stuff, if they were only willing to part with any of their stuff.

In general, I think most of us who have been here for a while limit our giving to those who contribute to our enjoyment of these boards and of our time in VMK. That doesn't meen newbies don't stand a chance to get gifted, it just means, let us get to know you before asking for stuff. Meet up with us in the game and join our conversations on the board. Later, if we find someone is missing an item, we might like to gift it, or give the person an opportunity for a really good trade.

Gift threads are not the only way to go and I think they are beginning to 'brand' certain people as beggars. (not everyone who posts on a gift thread, only those who post on EVERY gift thread, or who are new and their first half dozen posts are 'plz give me stuff'.)

i agree whole-heartedly with you, on all points! but there is no rule about making a gift thread and that was the what i thought this thread was about. to stop the gift threads, sorry if i misunderstood the thread but i do not think i did. its just that, one can post what they want as long as they are not breaking any DIS board rules. so if one wants to start a gift thread, they may do so and no one can make them stop, we just have to tolerate it, like we do alot of things in life and if the players on the gift thread are being rude and demanding, they are only ruining it for themselves as the players here talk amongst themselves. word will get around. my point is that one does not have to look at the gift thread. think of it like this, if a smell makes you sick would you go back to smell it again. i think not therefore if you see a gift thread and they bother you, skip over it and carry on, why ruffle your feathers and get bent out of shape over them. think to yourself, to each their own

What really bothers me about all this is.
Ok you cant download Yeti vision or the buzz game, and if you can some times it malfunctions and you dont get the prize. Ok that is whats called experiencing technical difficulties. And i dont have a problem with that.

But what really bothers me is then some people turn around and post an offer to trade the gift i just gave them. I could have traded it myself or sold it.
Which after i got my bat magic from it, i donated the spares.

Yes this does penalize innocent people, that actually want one to add to there collections and cant play the game. Or to a newbie that doesnt have much.

I remember when i first started i didnt have anything. But I work for every last credit and item i own. Its not that hard. Play the games, get npc credit, buy stuff from store, traded stuff in bulk for something better.

Ned like there is no tomorrow if you have to, i have been there and done that lol.

Kings-

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter