• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

gift ideas for dd 11, and dh

pocomom

Brr.....
My oldest daughter is 11. She loves crafts, books, science stuff and clothes. We bought her the bigger or "wow" gift already. I'm looking for some smaller gifts totaling under $100, so her pile under the tree matches the other kids a little better, who I have finished shopping for. I had planned on getting her some clothes and things this week but my budget just got tight because we have some unexpected bills (dd has heart condition, some tests etc were deemed experimental and insurance refuses pay...) We have a Disney vacation planned for immediately after Christmas, which is on my charge cards. I'll be paid for contracted work I've completed in Jan. So I know I can pay that off then, but I'm not comfortable with putting any more on credit.
DD is a sweetheart who will be happy with homemade ideas and small stuff. I was thinking of making her some cd's and maybe making a picture album for her (I already have a blank album) . Any ideas?
Also need some gift ideas for dh, who has everything already :) . Was going to get him the new mini ipad and a few other things but that is out now. I am making him some goodies, and I got some mini mixers and made a basket with some rum we had already to bring on the trip. And I'm going to take some cute photos of the kids and frame with frames I already have. He's into tech and gadgets... so I can't really think of anything else that is in my now nonexistant budget. Anything else?

A good book of kids science experiments shouldn't be too pricey and most of them are done with everyday home items. We got one for ds and he and my husband have done different experiments with it all year!

A good book of kids science experiments shouldn't be too pricey and most of them are done with everyday home items. We got one for ds and he and my husband have done different experiments with it all year!

Great idea!- I could even include some of the cheaper ingredients like, vinegar, baking soda etc in the box!

a Perplexus? We got that for DH last year and it was a hit with everyone.

DD11: duct tape, charm bracelet (look up Italian charms on ebay.. they are $1-$2 each and very fun) embroidery thread for bracelets, sculpey (my kids love this stuff), perler beads, a latch hook kit, fun socks, chocolate making materials (molds and chocolate.. DD loves making chocolate lollipops and pretzels for her friends). You should be able to find some cute shirts for around $10 at Aero if she likes it there.

Great idea!- I could even include some of the cheaper ingredients like, vinegar, baking soda etc in the box!

Yay! I'm glad it works for you. Yes you could make a whole kit with grocery items. I think my sons favourite was the one where you make the bottle of pop explode. They did it in the back yard this summer. I believe that one is Mentos and any generic bottle of pop. :)

I got just some great deals at Aero for my 11 y/o niece. I got her the Wreck This journal too

A nice pair of fancy socks. She is at an age where she may appreciate a pair of nice warm comfy socks. I never buy myself those twenty dollar smart wool socks or whatever brands they have but I love getting them as gifts.
Maybe a couple movie passes so she can go see a movie over her break.

There are all kinds of science kits and craft kits at AC Moore....they have the 50% off or % off total sale coupons in the Sunday paper (and give you another coupon when you buy something). You could also get her scrapbooking materials for your upcoming Disney trip. Target has a mini screen cleaner in their dollar spot and what about baseball cards(for DH)?

I was at Justice yesterday and they have a big clearance sale. It is 40% plus another 40% off. I got my dd11 some cute shirts and sweaters for about $12-$16 each.

I have dd's 9 & 12 and here are some items I bought for them.

Extreme dot to dots & Mindware Color Counts. They have them on Amazon, but I also found them at at Michael's crafts and they let me use the 25% coupon on them, but not the 50% one. So I turned around and used the 50% one on these neat color paint markers. The look like markers, but are paint with the little bead inside of them. They ended up being less than $10 a set.

Also, if she likes costume jewelry, Claire's is always a hit. They frequently do 10 for $10 racks. You could either pick out the items or do a gift card for the $10 and let her pick them out. Always a hit here.

Not sure if you're near any outlets? But, GAP has really nice fuzzy socks for $2 a pair and the Aero outlet has racks and racks for 3.99 and you can usually find an additional coupon online.

Good luck and happy shopping!:santa:

I got just some great deals at Aero for my 11 y/o niece. I got her the Wreck This journal too

Another vote for Wreck the Journal! My DD 11 loves hers. We are getting her This is not a Book and Finish this Book for Christmas. Other small items could be ingredients basket for a day of baking with you, Friendship bracelet kit, if she is into art, maybe some art canvases in different sizes-usually on sale at Joanne's and then add a coupon if one applies. Aero also has yoga pants that are reasonably priced and DD loves them. Maybe you could give her coupons for some fun activities when you are able to like a manicure, dinner out with just you or her dad, a movie, or fun ones like-skip one chore, stay up an extra 1/2 hour, or have a friend spend the night.

For DH mine found great deals on summer clothes at the outlets in Dec. Mine likes to golf, so I do range cards.

I'm adding Wreck This Journal to my Christmas shopping list-thanks to all who suggested it. Anyone find it funny that they offer it in a Kindle edition?:rotfl:

Steve Spangler has great science experiment books. We have 2 of them and they are great fun.

In the vein of DIY kits, put together a washer necklace making kit. If you search on pinterest for "washer nail polish" you will see several examples. My 11 girl scouts loved making them and they were cheap!

Basically different size washers from a hardware store, nail polish in different colors and clear. You just paint the washer with nail polish allowing them to dry between color layers then top with clear coat and put on chain or leather cord. They were easy and fun the girls came up with many creative necklace, bracelet and key chain designs that they then gave away as gifts.

Some things I have done for my DH in tighter times:

Tickets to a movie he wants to see a for couple of days after Christmas
Magazines or magazine subscription according to his interests
Wrapped grocery items just for him (his favorite hot sauce, favorite packaged cookies, nuts, beef jerky etc.)
Homemade coupons (be creative or google it youll find tons of ideas)
Walmart has inexpensive mini speakers for an mp3 or whatever if he has one.
New case for whatever gadgets he already has

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter