Gift ideas for a 14year old girl

AnOtHeRdIsNeYfReAk

Self-Proclaimed Super Genius
Ok! I really need some advice on budget and creative ideas for Christmas. I take care of my nieces since my sister passed away a few years ago, but this year we've been hit pretty hard. My dad passed away after a long battle with cancer, leaving us with a great deal of medical bills that his insurance didn't cover.(shocking, right?) My mother has been out of work for a few years due to severe depression, fibromalagia, and anxiety. She flat out refuses to apply for disability and is not eligible for my dad's pension for another 3 years. I had to move back into her home to help pay the bills. I've been looking for a higher paying job with no luck, since I had to drop a lot of my classes to take care of the girls and I don't have a degree yet. I'm looking into getting a 2nd job at night now to give us a bit of breathing room on those bills. I'm hoping I can find something soon, but in this economy everyone's looking.​

My Christmas budget is pretty limited. I'm thinking maybe $100 including money for christmas cookie supplies. My oldest niece is 14 while the younger is 7 <-She's pretty easy. So far my thoughts have been getting fabric remnants and making them each quilts, (I've already started that so those should be done in plenty of time.) making them candy wreaths that I found on a post earlier, and drawing them posters. My crafty skills are drawing, sewing, and crossstich so I'm a bit limited in what I can do for a teenager. So, here's my question: Does anyone have any crafy/budget ideas that a 14year old girl would like?? I'm really at loss. I was also thinking of a basket of items she needs anyway such as lotions, body wash, ect.. I've been keeping an eye out for sales. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.​

How about a scrapbook? Or a photo book...I had a code for a free photo book from snap fish and never used it. you can put I think up to 20 pictures in it and you just pay the shipping. I'm not going to use the code and if you think you might be interested in it I'd message you the code. (If I can track it down). You could make a memory book of family or make a book about her growing up? Just a thought. I love the quilt idea. I had a quilt made for my husband when he found out he had CML - leukemia. He used it on days he didn't feel good. You could leave spots - white patches for people to sign. At graduation, special holidays, etc...You can write messages or just sign names. Thanksgiving time you can write "I'm thankful for..."

Just thought about making a quilt purse. My daughter loves purses. You could make a hobo style bag and you can get the strap material pretty cheap at the fabric store. Don't know if you have Joann's in your area, but if so, sign up for their mailers and you can get coupons too.

how about a fleece scarf, I second the purse idea. My teen made a purse out of an old pair of jeans.Bless you for taking in your neices.

Seems like you have gotten some good ideas, the purse sounds great. I just wanted to say how lucky the girls are to have you. Sorry for all you guys have been going through, but you are a reminder of what family is. I am an only child and DH's brother passed away 16 years ago, I have always worried about what if something happened to us. To see families like yours it shows what family is all about. Great job working so hard to give your nieces a happy home. :hug:

This isn't crafty but-I would also try something from the grocery store!
Is there a food she likes -but never gets? Like pop tarts? or her own personal box of her favorite cookies?

Nail polish is a big hit with my DD 14- you might could put together some kind of inexpensive nail kit -if she is into that.

At 14 -I think she can understand that times are lean -and enjoy what she gets.
I hope you have a wonderful Christmas.

Maybe give her an experience, like a night where you guys stay in and watch movies of her choice($1 redbox)? You could do her nails, hair and makeup like at a real spa and make her "drinks" to sip while you pamper her. I used to make virgin daquiris from the frozen mix for DS all the time.

Marsha

On the "basket" idea- I've been finding great deals on the Target endcaps. When they repackage something they drastically mark down the other items. For example I got ponds makeup remover pads bundled with Qtips for $3.
Just buying the ponds pads would have been about $6!

Black Friday is your friend! Keep your eye out that day there are often FREE items to get you into a store. (My big score last year was a FREE Vera Bradley tote bag! I didn't have to buy anything. It was just for walking in the door!)

I'm going to try making some felting purses this year- old wool sweaters- shrink in the washer- then use the "wool" to make a purse

Here's a little tutorial
http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-make-a-purse-out-of-a-recycled-sweater-260988/

Same idea you can also make leg warmers.
(I'm going to try that too)

Good luck to you and I have a warm heart today after reading your story. You are so very very giving.:hug:

OP:
first off, :grouphug: You have a lot on your plate and I am sure your family knows how lucky thy are to have you in their lives!

As far as girls go, I LOVE the idea of a gift basket filled with "girly" stuff, nailpolish, maybe some decals for nails, for $10 they do a manicure at Walmart (I just saw a sign there last week!) anyhow, the dollar store usually has lots of things to choose form too...
I think a personal handmade gift is GREAT, a true gift from the heart.

I want to wish you a Healthy Happy Holiday Season and better things ahead.
So sorry for your losses! :grouphug:

use the michaels or joann 40 % off coupons to get some beads/jewelry making supplies

oh I thought of another thing not sure if I am allowed to post the link- but there is the silver jewelry club- you have to watch it to find the right items- but for $7 shipped to your house- the price is right.
I always buy the hoops! And stash them away.
http://www.silverjewelryclub.com/

Last year I made tied fleece blankets for everyone including my teen nieces and nephews. They all loved them. If you buy your fabric on sale you can make one for about $15. I picked fleece fabric for each of them that they would like. Ex: my then 14 year old niece plays field hockey and I found some field hockey fleece at Joanne's on sale then coordinated a solid color on the back.
good luck and I know you'll get lots of good ideas from this board.

Also, is it possible to reach out to a community group that does things for children?! Please don't hesitate to do that for your nieces...you know, church angel trees, toys for tots, something like that. So many people are happy to help purchase things for children and teens at holiday times so look for something like this for your nieces.

And how about Five Below or a dollar store for jewelry, lotions, etc for the 14 year old. Or how about a small sketch pad and pencils from Michaels with a 40% off coupon.

Last year on Black Friday, I got a no name brand mp3 player for $10 at Toys R Us. Definitely go over the black Friday ads!

Good luck to you and your family!

I wish I had some ideas to help you but they all seem to have been listed already. I just wanted to say that your story touched me. Here I am on this board planning a vacation as a Christmas gift for my daughters and now I feel guilty! My dh and I do work very hard and we have had our share of hardships as well so I will try not to feel too bad but your story is a reminder to us all to help others who are in need. Your attitude about making beuatiful things for your nieces is wonderful. I am sure they will treasure their gifts as well as the values they are getting from having you as a role model. If you lived near Disney World you could all participate in the new initiative where you volunteer somewhere for a day and then you each get a day at Disney World for free. I hope all your dreams come true!

I know that JC Penney usually has a display with things like shower gels, cool lip glosses buy one get one.

How about shopping the clearance rack at some of the popular stores? Sometimes you can get a good deal. Movie gift certificates. I usually do pretty good when the stores have a sale and coupons. Sign up on some of the websites in order to get specials and coupons.

I think the quilts are a wonderful gift.

You sound like a great aunt! I agree, I would look into a place that could help you out some this year. Check sample boards and start signing up for freebies for stocking stuffers. If you are near a CVS or Walgreens, they have free stuff almost every week. Last week at Walgreens, I got chapstick for sales tax after $2 register rewards. Bath and Body Works and Victoria Secret has printable coupons for free items sometimes and they will send them to you if you are on their mailing list-I use them for lip gloss and body sprays. Target frequently has 75% in the ladies section for cute clothes and JC Penneys sends out $10 off $10 in the mail every few months. Goodwill also is hit and miss for new gifts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter