• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

GIft from daycare client

I would have been pleased and have also given those as gifts (Sam's had a bundle last year that included refills). I do not use "real candles" (other than in ceramic warmers) and these are wonderful! There is no flame, yet the look replicates a real candle burning and the smell is wonderful! :goodvibes

I watch a little baby girl and they gave me a gift today as they will be gone the rest of the week. Now, I am grateful to have gotten something, but what would you think if someone gave you a Glade Flameless candle as a gift? I am curious. I like it, but I just thought it was an odd gift. Again, I didn't expect anything so something is nice.

I would appear appreciative, but would secretly assume it was some kind of free-bate item the giver got at CVS or Walgreens.
This Budget Board has probably made me a tad jaded, though.

Last year I gave the woman who used to help my DS with his speech, a flameless candle. I thought it was a nice gift. I hope she thought so too.

I gave out a few Yankee Candle plug-in scented oil gifts this year to some co-workers. Everyone is on a diet (so no chocolate) and I certainly wasn't telling them that their house smelled bad or anything. It's a good one size fits all gift or so I thought.

While I think it's a nice gift, I also think that as a caregiver/babysitter should be given a monitary gift, but maybe that's JMO.

Why do you think its odd?? I dont at all... I would love one for a gift... She knows they are safe for the kids vs a regular candle and they are very nice...

Any scent like that gives me a headache, but if she saw you already had one, she would know that wasn't the case with you. I imagine she didn't know what to get and settled on something she had seen you already used.

Marsha

As a CVSer/Rite Aider I have tons of stuff like that to give away as gifts. We have really cut back this year and it is amazing what nice things I have gotten for free to give away. Yeah, may not be traditional gifts, but it still takes a lot of thought/time/effort to do those type of gifts as well.

Many people on these boards think that monetary gifts (like a weeks salary) are appropriate for daycare providers and other service people. But in my experience, that is the exception and not the norm. My son has been in daycare 3 years (2 with private caregivers, 1 in a center). We were the only family that acknowledged our providers the last two years and at his party this year only one other kid brought in stuff for the teachers (center).

I agree with you that I would be happy to receive anything and it seems like a thoughtful and budget conscious gift!

My first reaction is to think a Glade anything would be a weird gift. I think the thought is wonderful and for your client to give your something that would be safe in your home with kids is really nice.

I would love some of those. The only place we can have candles is in the kitchen while I'm in there and the bathroom when I take a bath. It would be nice to have some safer candles to put in the living room and den.

I have and did give some of these candles to the teachers, secretaries, nurse, bus drivers, etc. at my childrens school this year and yes I did get them for free after using coupons but they are still a $10 gift that had I not used those coupons (or coupons on other items) many of those "extra" people would have probably gotten nothing at all for the holidays even though I value each one of them and appreciate what they do for my children (and others).

One of the reasons I like to give something like this around the holidays is many people tend to have company over during this time of year (more so than during the normal days of the year) and people tend to purchase items like air fresheners, scented candles, and like items to make their homes smell more inviting & homey to their guests. With the flameless candles there is no worry of a fire, a child getting burned, etc. so they make a great option for just about anyone. I also like these ones in particular because it is more like a tea lamp/light vs. an air freshener....they're pretty.

i bought one for my college age son as a gift this year.

He was complaining how they couldn't have candles or anything electric.

Hope he likes it. and yes, I paid for price for that thing.

I love mine. I feel safe using it as oppose to real candles around my kids. Maybe, that's the thought behind it as you are a daycare provider.

I agree.

I got a bath soap set and scarf and glove set from my 2 daycare kids today.

I watch a little baby girl and they gave me a gift today as they will be gone the rest of the week. Now, I am grateful to have gotten something, but what would you think if someone gave you a Glade Flameless candle as a gift? I am curious. I like it, but I just thought it was an odd gift. Again, I didn't expect anything so something is nice.

I love these candles. Especially when you have children. I gave them out last year like crazy. They are at least 10 dollars. My older children have them and I just bought refills to put in their stockings. Wow-now I feel bad that I gave them out to other people as gifts. I would have loved to have gotten one!

I love mine. I feel safe using it as oppose to real candles around my kids. Maybe, that's the thought behind it as you are a daycare provider.

That's what I was thinking. My DD hates it when I light candles! I think they are a really neat idea. They aren't cheap either (unless you got the coupon deal!).

Well, as a former daycare provide, I would have worried that my house smelled like the diaper pail! :rotfl2: That was my biggest fear and I would have grown immune to the smell!!

But honestly, it's a nice gift, I know there were several kids I didn't get anything from. Not that I NEEDED a gift, but a card would have been nice! Some kids got really thoughtful (though not expensive) gifts and some went a little overboard and made me uncomfortable compared with what I bought their kids as gifts!

This year from my daycare parents I have gotten slippers, cozy socks, candles, cookies and a $100.00 tip. I can't burn the candles while the kids are here because there is lead in the wicks and the state of Vermont says no to candles in day cares. So I have an electric tart warmer.

Why? I am glad I don't have to buy for someone with that attitude.

You know, that person used the shrugging smiley, and there really is no need for you to name call and be snotty.

I *thought* all of the "mean people" were banned last April.

You know, that person used the shrugging smiley, and there really is no need for you to name call and be snotty.

I *thought* all of the "mean people" were banned last April.

There was no name calling here. The poster said they were glad they didnt have to buy for somebody who would think their gift was cheap and odd. The only name calling was in your post with the "snotty".

There was no name calling here. The poster said they were glad they didnt have to buy for somebody who would think their gift was cheap and odd. The only name calling was in your post with the "snotty".

And again, I *thought* all of the mean people were banned last April. Now, I know I was wrong. :)

And it really just sounds to me like some people don't want to hear that a recipient wouldn't be delighted to get a household cleaning type item as a gift. Having read many posts on this board, ifsomeone gave me Galde, or Pledge or a Glucose Monitor, I would assume they were cheaping out and giving me some free crap they scored at CVS or Walgreens. It doesn't mean I hate Glade or Pledge, just that I don't really consider them gifty-type things.

But, everyone free free to call me a &^$^()&^ because I have a differeing opinion about what makes an appropriate gift.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter