gift for teacher......?

teglazer

Earning My Ears
My son has muscular dystrophy, his school provided him with an aide this year and she has been wonderful, School is almost over and I wanted to get her something to let her know how much we appreiciate all that she did this year. Any suggestions?:confused3

but a couple of thoughts...

This year I got my son's teacher a chair! Actually, we "found" a rocker in near perfect shape (sitting near some dumpsters in our condo complex) and together we refinished it. I painted it bright blue to match her room. Since the school mascot is a bear, I drew a bear on the seat (actually, traced/copied) with a paint pen, added the caption "Second Grade is beary fun!" and added details on the back and arms.

I've seen other teacher's chairs done by mod podging pages from picture books to them or by having the students the teacher works with sign the seat.

But, if she is like most aides, she probably doesn't even have a decent office chair. I used to buy my aides the inexpensive chairs so they didn't have to sit in kids' chairs all day.

We usually get Lauren's assistant a GC to her favorite restaurant or something like that. If you are not sure which restaurant, then you could get a group of restaurants...Like Olive Garden, Macaroni Grill, etc...where they have multiple restaurants on one gift certificate?

I would shy away from an actual gift, unless you are pretty sure what she would like.

And I think Lauren usually writes them a letter or note of some kind, too.

As a teacher - a Starbucks, bookstore, or movie gift card is a really nice gift - 5$ is a cup of coffee and scone, 10$ is a movie ticket or nice summer paperback.

An hour or two during post-planning of help packing up my room would be :cloud9:

But - always, the thing that means the most is a letter.

We've done several different things.

The gift card is always good. Starbucks or Staples. (usually Staples is for the teacher and not the aide, though) We've done McD's before for the bus ladies because I knew they often stopped at McD's on their way the bus barn to get their morning coffee. Heck, if I was a teacher, I'd appreciate a gift card for the closest gas station!

Gift cards for Starbucks, a neighborhood bakery, or an ice cream shop are nice - small treats that can be shared with her family or used multiple times! Love the movie ticket idea too - nice for a summer splurge.

As a teacher, I can tell you that you can never go wrong with gift cards - especially for restaurants. Another nice gift I've received (and given) is some kind of summer basket - or beach bag. There are so many great things to include - beach towels, mini fans, water bottles, waterproof playing cards, margarita glasses, ice cream dishes, etc. Have fun with it! :goodvibes

Another teacher here chiming in :teacher:...and also voting for a gift card! :thumbsup2

I'm a teacher now, but my favorite gift to give my 6th grade teacher was coffee. He thought it was really special that I bought him something he lives off of. I picked him out a flavored coffee and he loved it. I'm sure flavored coffee has went up in price, but back then, it was like $7 a pound, so probably like $10 now. A simple, but perfect gift

Just a thought about gift certificates...

First, let me say that any gift I'm given is greatly appreciated. However....

As a teacher, I'd much rather have a gift for my room. When I was a classroom teacher I loved getting supplies for my writing center, games for indoor recess days, books for the classroom library, etc. I'd much, much rather have something for my room than for myself.

The problem with gift certificates is that they are iffy. For instance, I've been given Starbucks cards...and I don't drink coffee. I can't stand the smell of it, actually. I sent my boys in with the cards to go get themselves brownies. It is appreciated, but I'd have gotten more use out of a set of decorative scissors or colored paper or a book.

I once had a friend give me a $30 gift certificate for Kohls...she didn't have a Kohls near her.

As a mom, I always try to give gifts for the classroom. It takes that personal risk out of it.

This is in no way meant as a criticism of anyone who gives gift cards, and I am not saying that there is a "wrong" gift. Just sharing my experience of 25+ years.

My son picked out the first two books in a trilogy to give his teacher today along with a gift card so she can get the 3rd book when it comes out in September. She was thrilled!! This afternoon I'll take the Chicken Soup book into my daughter's teacher. Hopefully she'll be as happy!

The problem with gift certificates is that they are iffy.

That's why we usually give Borders gift cards. What teacher doesn't like books? And if they don't have a Borders near them, they can be used at Borders.com. Perfect IMO! :thumbsup2

Just a thought about gift certificates...

First, let me say that any gift I'm given is greatly appreciated. However....

As a teacher, I'd much rather have a gift for my room. When I was a classroom teacher I loved getting supplies for my writing center, games for indoor recess days, books for the classroom library, etc. I'd much, much rather have something for my room than for myself.

The problem with gift certificates is that they are iffy. For instance, I've been given Starbucks cards...and I don't drink coffee. I can't stand the smell of it, actually. I sent my boys in with the cards to go get themselves brownies. It is appreciated, but I'd have gotten more use out of a set of decorative scissors or colored paper or a book.

I once had a friend give me a $30 gift certificate for Kohls...she didn't have a Kohls near her.

As a mom, I always try to give gifts for the classroom. It takes that personal risk out of it.

This is in no way meant as a criticism of anyone who gives gift cards, and I am not saying that there is a "wrong" gift. Just sharing my experience of 25+ years.

Too funny---I came THIS close to buying giftcards to Kohl's this year. It seemed a little nicer than my usual Walmart gift card. But I have a bus driver, bus aide, teacher, and 2 classroom aides to buy for. At the last minute, I went with my usual. I was afraid with so many different people, someone might not like Kohl's. I figure Walmart has something for everyone. I hope they like them.

I would prefer a gift card for a store to one for a restaurant or movies. That way, I could buy myself something that would always remind me of your child. A few years ago, I wrote a college recommendation for a young woman. Her family gave me a gift card to Macy's. I bought a big straw beach bag which I am still using and which still makes me think of Jennifer!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter