Gift for planners?

plutogal

Earning My Ears
Did people get their planners gifts? I wasn't sure what etiquette is for this situations??

I did as well, I got her a few unique items from Nova Scotia and a gift certificate from Target.

I would suggest not worrying about it before the wedding. I would say 100% if they do a good job you should send a thank you note.

As far as spending more money on them, remember they are being paid for a service. If they do a great job and you feel like they deserve a little extra something for all of their hard work and attention, send a gift certificate along with the thank you note.

Ettiquette says that wedding planners work for a set fee and do not expect a tip or gift. If you want to tip them, you can tip 10% of their fee, but it is not required.

If you have money and space to take a gift, put together something from where you are from like the other brides have already mentioned.

I would suggest not worrying about it before the wedding. I would say 100% if they do a good job you should send a thank you note.

As far as spending more money on them, remember you are paying them for a service. If they do a great job and you feel like they deserve a little extra something for all of their hard work and attention, send a gift certificate along with the thank you note.

Ettiquette says that wedding planners work for a set fee and do not expect a tip or gift. If you want to tip them, you can tip 10% of their fee, but it is not required.

Disney planners are not allowed to except money.

Like Claire, I am from England and will get my planner some typically British gifts. I have already got a cute Big Ben tin containing English breakfast teabags, and some toffee from a little shop in my town which makes toffee for HM the Queen. I will probably also get some Scottish shortbread and other items and plan on packing them into a small Harrods tote bag!! It might also be nice to get a book about the royal wedding for her, but since we fly out to the US two days after the event, I am not sure how quickly they will hit the bookshops. We'll see.

We did as well - we brought some Canadian related gifts from home, (maple syrup, maple sugar fudge etc... and a nice handwritten card.
We presented her with it at the end of her time with us :goodvibes

I usually don't post - but i would like to chime in here if i may..because i think this is important...because i went down this road...and maybe i can clear up some confusion and pass on what i learned.

With Our Wedding co-ordinator ....we didn't see any specifc charge for their services on our estimated budget. To our knowledge, Disney provided their services for free. But i didn't want to get stuck with a charge after the fact - so i went ahead and just flat out asked her.

(I think all that 10% jazz is certainly true if you hire a planner directly - we did not hire our co-ordinator...they were assigned to us by walt disney world.)

I feel that i had a great relationship with our planner and happened to ask her if she worked off of a commission (I thought that she recieved the wedding pavilion fee). i just had to know! Which side not - she did tell me what the wedding pavilion fee covers - bc i REALLY wanted to know WHO got that!! She joked at first asn told me it was just for the view of the castle. ha ha. But eventually she told me that it includes the organ and the organ guy and the microphones and guys to set up the microphones...and that it covered the AC, Parking and housekeepers to keep the place looking FAB!). After my wedding - i'm happy to pay it. Worth every penny.

Anyway I'm off topic now.... back to the point.

She mentioned to me that she was a salaried employee and that they did not work off of a commission. They work for WDW and are not in business for themselves....They work during the day, nights and weekends doing the weddings - so it made sense once she explained it to me. She said, they are there as the liason to Walt Disney world vendors - she did the running around and calling so that all i had to do was show up. (...and now that it's all over :sad2: she was indeed correct! I did just that - i showed up and she did all the work!).

I remeber specifically her saying that she was there to make sure i did meet my minimums - but beyond that, anything i spent was entirely up to me and the choices i made.

After that - i realized, she wasn't trying to sell me anything or make commision - she was just helping me get organized and giving me info so that i could stretch my dollars!

And when i looked at my budget - there were no charges for her services. There was charges (with tax and gratuity:eek:) for food and our open bar..we were charged down to the penny for our emcee, flowers and our coach - but not charged for her services.

Anyway - I think that buying a thank you gift is well worth it and is perfectly acceptable! This person has your entire wedding in their hands...I can't imagine doing all that planning so far away from home without help and i know i wasn't the only bride she worked with. ( I could tell she was working with other brides because her assistant would tell me that she was out with a wedding....so i know she has one wedding a week or something like that!) .

I gave my planner a little gift card - it wasn't much - i wished it could have been more - but I would like to think that whatever she bought with it...she will think of me and the great time we had planning everytime she looks at it.

So for all of that - again, i say pay it forward. :littleangel:

Thanks for the advice. I am from Maryland and was going to put together a little basket but I just didn't want her to feel weird! I think putting together a little something will be just fine!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter