Gift for daughter's bridal shower

klfrech

DIS Veteran
Any good gift ideas? Jewelry is out, since she is wearing my MIL's pearls. I'd like something different than just grabbing something off their registry. Any suggestions?

I've been married almost 24 years, and I still have one gift from my wedding shower that I display on a day to day basis. my mom's friend took the invitation to our wedding and sent it to a company that made a beautiful candle with it. she provided the colors for our wedding which were incorporated into the candle. the idea was we were supposed to light it each year on our anniversary but the candle is so lovely I can't bring myself to melt it. I've often thought that when my kids marry I would like to do the same for them.

I've been married almost 24 years, and I still have one gift from my wedding shower that I display on a day to day basis. my mom's friend took the invitation to our wedding and sent it to a company that made a beautiful candle with it. she provided the colors for our wedding which were incorporated into the candle. the idea was we were supposed to light it each year on our anniversary but the candle is so lovely I can't bring myself to melt it. I've often thought that when my kids marry I would like to do the same for them.
That's funny, my mom did the same thing and I hated it. It just wasn't our style, but of course I felt I had to display it anyways and keep it forever. It got broken in a move and I was relieved when I was able to throw it out.

I would say something personalized - an engraved frame for their wedding picture (as the bride and groom we gave these to the parents but did not get one for ourselves, to this day the only wedding photos I have on display are 4 4x6 candids, otherwise we have a very nice album) their invitation framed, perhaps a scrapbook of the bride's childhood? We also received an engraved silver tray from my in laws which was very nice, but again not at all our style. I have no formal dining room to display it or to use it in, we are very casual people. It sits on the very bottom of a cabinet and has never once been used right along with the crystal we received for our wedding. My advice is go for something the couple would enjoy and like to display vs something traditional. 12 years later and I can still remember who gave us what and I think of them when I use those things.

My Mom got me a personalized cook book. It was for family recipes that you fill in yourself. She had everyone give her recipes to put into it. She even had some from my grandmother who passed away when I was in grade school in her own handwriting taken from her own cookbook. It means a lot to me and made me cry at my shower.

My Mom got me a personalized cook book. It was for family recipes that you fill in yourself. She had everyone give her recipes to put into it. She even had some from my grandmother who passed away when I was in grade school in her own handwriting taken from her own cookbook. It means a lot to me and made me cry at my shower.

This idea I really like. I have one pix from our wedding in a frame in our bedroom. I would never display my invitation in any form anywhere. A cookbook full of family recipes I would love. I copied a bunch of ours for my daughter when she got her own place but I am sure they are probably just thrown in a drawer.

My mom got me something that was "on the registry" but it was expensive enough that no one else could have gotten it so it was much appreciated.

My mother has always done that sort of thing (continued that tradition with baby showers, etc--like actually buying the crib).

While they weren't sentimental, I still remember the items (and still have them).

She's really good about getting stuff like $300 sheets (that have lasted forever) that no one else could realistically afford.

How about a nice basket of champagne and chocolates with a nice big check or gift certificate attached that they can use on their honeymoon?:)

If they are going to a resort or something you could call and the place and get a gift card towards a nice dinner, etc..

There are only so many picture frames a bride needs.:rotfl2:

Congrats on the wedding!

My mom got me a kitchenaid mixer (it was on my registry) and with it she gave me laminated recipe cards of all our family's favorite baking recipes, Christmas cookies, Italian Easter pies, St. Paddy's day soda bread, etc.

It was an awesome gift because it was both something I really wanted, but couldn't afford myself, and had a very personal touch. I'll use that mixer and those recipes forever! :lovestruc

Any good gift ideas? Jewelry is out, since she is wearing my MIL's pearls. I'd like something different than just grabbing something off their registry. Any suggestions?

I would not say "jewelry is out" just because she is wearing your MIL's pearls. I think of the bridal shower gift as something for life. She could wear the gift everyday until her wedding. :)

Is your dd "into jewelry". A blue box from Tiffany's would be a treasure for the jewelry person.

My oldest dd would love something like that. :thumbsup2

Now my younger dd, nope. She is a minimalist and practical. So I would probably focus on linens or the kitchen.

I love the cookbook idea. My mom is working on that as we speak. ;)

You mention her wearing her granmother's pearls. Were you wanting to get her something personal?

If so what about a beautiful necklace or bracelet that she can wear with her going away outfit? Assuming she plans to change out of her wedding dress. Or a piece of jewelry with a quote engraved that is special between the two of you? Or a frame engraved with that quote. Just for instance for dd it would say a line from a song that dh and I sang to her when she was little.

I like the family recipes ideas. Dsis and I both have recipe cards in our grandmother's handwriting that have been framed. Usable and displayed.

My daughter got married this past year. While I ended up buying her lots of things that I knew they needed (none of them she put on her registry), one gift brought her to tears at the shower. I didn't think it was that big of a deal, but she was overwhelmed.

I took a large basket and bought all kinds of candle holders and two each of different candles along with jar candles, all different colors. And then I customized the candle poem for her. She couldn't read it without becoming very emotional.

Is there a family heirloom she has always admired? Maybe gift that to her?

How about a gift certificate to a place near them that does framing so they can frame a wedding photo--or other art work they might like?

One of my favorite shower presents was a basket of Christmas ornaments. These were handmade by my aunt but maybe some new ones, some of yours that she liked--or if you bought some each year for her, this would be a good time to give them. Add in some Christmas lights, etc. if you can still find them (online probably?). I gave a Christmas basket to several friends and the Mom and Pop hardware store in our town dug some things out of storage for me even.

I promised my daughter I would get her the good set of pots she wanted. But I got a lot of other things too...lol. One of my favs was this gift basket..I used the ideas and switched out the gifts for ones I liked better. http://wifemothercrafter.com/?tag=gift-basket

A beach themed bag with towels chairs magazines . A movie night basket with popcorn bowl and hot air popper. And some peignoir sets....

I bought my daughter a Kitchen aide mixer. It was on her registry and I knew no one would by it,
Liz

My grandma gives everyone folding table and chairs. Not usually something on a registry but it gets lots of use.

When my DD is at this stage in her life, I am definitely going to get her a nice double griddle. It is either that, or DD would probably steal mine!

In addition to that, I will probably pick an expensive item from her registry!

Look around your home to see if there is a special decorative item (or something else) they has been a family tradition that you are willing to part with so that she can take some of these traditions to her new home? This doesn't have to be your only gift, but a meaningful one. For example, my mother gave me the "magic teapot" that she would serve me tea from whenever I was sick as a child. It's just an inexpensive teapot, but it's steeped (pun intended :) in tradition for me...

The recipe idea? Even more meaningful if you can scan/copy cards from grandparents with recipes in their own handwriting too...

The recipe book is a great idea. My SMIL did that at my shower. She gave me a blank recipe book with slots for for recipe cards and gave everyone at the shower a card and an addressed stamped envelope so they could send them to me. I love that and it means a lot.

How about earrings to go with the pearls she is wearing? And please no lingerie. My mom got me some and just no. Returned that very quickly.

My mom gave me Waterford crystal champagne glasses for my husband and I to use at our wedding reception (and the again on anniversaries and other special occasions throughout our marriage.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter