Gift for 7th Day Adventist Dedication

MI mom of 3

<font color=green>didn't feel any panic that we we
I have a slightly unusual situation. Our son did the DCP and met a lovely girl who he had a relationship with while there. This now means that we have a granddaughter who we (and he) have not met as she and her mom live in Australia. He is doing all he can from here and she is keeping him completely updated with pictures and videos. Everyone is handling this as best they can.

Now to my question She is being dedicated as a 7th Day Adventist there next week. We are of course planning to send gifts. However I have no idea what is considered proper and do NOT want to accidentally offend anyone. What would be an appropriate gift to send?

Thanks

Last edited:
dh was raised sda (no longer a member), his family is still very active in the faith, and my kids (not members) went for years through the sda private schools so I conferred w/him to make sure my suggestion would be accurate-the only thing to really avoid would be jewelry of any type.

some Adventists now wear jewelry, but technically it's a no-no so just in case you dgd's mom adheres to the older traditions it would be better to just avoid jewelry all together-same goes for down the line when as a young adult she may choose to be baptized within the faith (sda's don't do infant or young child baptisms they wait until the person is old enough to make an educated "adult" decision and choose to baptism). along the same lines-and again it varies from individual church community to individual church community but as your dgd gets older avoid sending cosmetics (I've even known members who didn't want their daughters to have so much as uncolored lip gloss or clear nail polish) and any clothing that doesn't have some type of sleeve (no tank or spaghetti straps), doesn't completely cover the midriff or shorts/skirts that are any shorter than right above the knee when seated while wearing them. it's not an extreme dress code-just a basic 'modesty' practice.

congrats on your dgd!

Thanks for the info and ideas.

Our older DGD is 8 and every year I buy her a new Disney Precious Moments figurine.

Mckenna's mom and dad met at Disney so I'm thinking this may be a good time to start her collection.

Thanks for the info and ideas.

Our older DGD is 8 and every year I buy her a new Disney Precious Moments figurine.

Mckenna's mom and dad met at Disney so I'm thinking this may be a good time to start her collection.

I think that's a great idea! another idea you might want to include-the Adventist Book Center (they have an on-line store) has a book called "baby's first bible" for 5.99. as other occasions come up they are a good resource for coloring books, games and puzzles....one of my favorites for younger kids is a series of books called 'Uncle Arthur's Bedtime Stories'. when I was a kid in the 60's it was common for doctors and dentists to have a copy (along with the requisite highlights magazines) in every waiting room. I didn't find out until after I married my husband that these were adventist books that were routinely given to medical and dental offices (I just remember thinking when I was younger that they were sweet short stories to read).

I think the Precious Moments figurine is a wonderful idea. It's something she can keep forever and as you already give them to your other DGD it shows that even though she lives so far away you love them both the same! One thing you might consider is whether it's better to buy from an Australian supplier to save on shipping (plus, as the AUD is awful at the moment, you might even save on the cost of the figurine). Unfortunately that might mean fewer choices.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter