Gift Certificates from restaurant.com

arwood82

DIS Veteran
I am thinking about purchasing a few gift certificates for our Las Vegas trip from restaurant.com. I am just wondering if anyone has had any problem using these. I know for sure we will be going to the Harley Davidson Cafe and this is one of the places available. Any thoughts?

I have used them many times and have never had any problems with them. If I find a good deal, I buy them. :cool1:

We bought some for the same, local restaurant. We went in the first time on a weekend night and was told they no longer accept them on weekends even though it's not stated on the certificate. We went back a few weeks later on a weeknight and when the server called it in he informed us that it had already been used and was no longer valid. It hadn't been used and hadn't even left my sight until he took it that night. Luckily we bought both on a huge sale so we weren't out much but super disappointed. It scared us enough that we won't buy another.

No problems here either. Just make sure you read all the fine print. Sometimes it includes drinks most of the time not. Also the wait staff will usually add gratuity for the amount prior to alcoholic beverages being added. But they all don't so always ask or check the bill... its at the servers discretion whether they add gratuity or leave it to you. Ive had wait staff at the same restaurant do it differently.

Also make sure you will spend the amount you're going to use... no point in ordering extra food you don't want to meet the minimum coupon requirements

They're also very good about crediting back for restaurants that close down

We bought some for the same, local restaurant. We went in the first time on a weekend night and was told they no longer accept them on weekends even though it's not stated on the certificate. We went back a few weeks later on a weeknight and when the server called it in he informed us that it had already been used and was no longer valid. It hadn't been used and hadn't even left my sight until he took it that night. Luckily we bought both on a huge sale so we weren't out much but super disappointed. It scared us enough that we won't buy another.

That sounds like a problem with the restaurant, not with restaurant.com. Many times restaurants offer the coupons and then regret offering them and try to back out of the deal. I would contact restaurant.com not only for a refund, but to let them know that the restaurant refused to accept the coupon. With any luck restaurant.com will remove the restaurant from their site.

We have bought them for House of Blues in Downtown Disney and they were accepted without any problems.

the only time i really used them was my trip to arizona/vegas. i watched out for sales and got $25 for like 2 or 3 and $50 for like 4 or 5 dollars. keep in mind a code that works for $25 ones may work on ones of higher values.

since we planned on spending more at nicer restaurants there it worked out very well. as said they sometimes have a tip factored in that they add for you, but for us we still came out ahead. i had no problems with any of them, but i read them carefully and stuck to the terms.

Any time I have ever used them there has always been an automatic gratuity added.

I have used ones for $35 and you had to spend a minimum of $50 to be able to use it. Not sure what the minimum would be on a $50 certificate but every denomination has a minimum purchase.

Most don't take them on weekends or holidays and most add an 18% gratuity.

I usually tip way more than 18% but when they add it to the bill like that I just leave it at 18% and don't add more.

Any time I have ever used them there has always been an automatic gratuity added.

I have used ones for $35 and you had to spend a minimum of $50 to be able to use it. Not sure what the minimum would be on a $50 certificate but every denomination has a minimum purchase.

Most don't take them on weekends or holidays and most add an 18% gratuity.

I usually tip way more than 18% but when they add it to the bill like that I just leave it at 18% and don't add more.

Unfortunately, many would tip on the discounted price rather than the full price, which is why they add the automatic gratuity. I have an issue with it being 18%, not with the automatic gratuity. IMHO, I think it should be the standard 15% and you can give more for exceptional service. The problem with an automatic gratuity is that occasionally you'll have a server that does not put in the effort because they know they are getting the 18% anyway. It doesn't happen often, but I have experienced it before.

That sounds like a problem with the restaurant, not with restaurant.com. Many times restaurants offer the coupons and then regret offering them and try to back out of the deal. I would contact restaurant.com not only for a refund, but to let them know that the restaurant refused to accept the coupon. With any luck restaurant.com will remove the restaurant from their site.

We did contact restaurant.com. They said it was a problem with the restaurant and refused to refund us. I didn't push it since we didn't spend much to begin with. I did contact the restaurant and they offered a free dinner for us but my husband was so mad that they changed the rules after the fact that he won't go back in there.

I have used these for the last 5 years and never had a single complaint. Outstanding company!

Even if you buy one for your vacation and don't use it, you can exchange the certificate for one you can use!

Lisa

I have bought and used many of them. I think it is important to purchase and manage them under one account. Whenever a restaurant closed or stopped accepting them, restaurant.com either automatically gave me a credit or gave me one upon my notification. I then used the credit to purchase a different certificate.

The certificates can also be reprinted from your account in case you loose one.

It seems getting certificates for good restaurants becomes harder as the economy strengthens.

In Vegas, we loved the meals we had using the certificates at El Segundo Sol, First Food and Bar, Hash House a Go Go and Thai Pepper. We would not return to the Harley Davidson restaurant and felt that our meal there was a waste of our time and money.

IMHO, I would choose El Segundo Sol over Harley Davidson.

Have fun in Vegas.

We had one we use at place in Swan/Dolphin. Our service was awful, saw server maybe twice during entire meal, Food selections on buffet never seemed to be restocked, a lot of our food was barely warm. Our dining party felt it was a great big waste of time and money. It could have just been off day for place but we won't be going back.

I have restaurant.com certificates from 4 years ago. Used one a short while ago (since they never expire) at a nice restaurant. But I asked before we ordered if they would take it, no problem.
Bad experience with one pancake house. I asked the server if we could use it and he said to give it to the cashier at the end. We ordered a little more food than we needed in order to spend the amount required on the certificate. When it came to paying the bill the cashier told us they no longer take them. Thanks a lot.
I did get credited by restaurant.com when I complained to them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter