• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Gideon's Bakehouse - what's the fuss about?

When we visited in February we tried Gideon’s and absolutely loved the cookies. But just because we loved them doesn’t mean everyone will. Everyone could get the exact same product and have wildly different opinions. People have different palettes, and Gideon’s will taste great to some and not so great to others.

Thinking back to my entire life of eating food, there are so many places and items I’ve tried that people have bad mouthed that I ended up loving (or places/foods that are hyped that I’ve came back disappointed). Not just at Disney, but everywhere.

If you plan on visiting DS for a good chunk of your day, the VQ works great because you can then get some shopping and dining done rather than sit in a line for a long time. When we got called to return to the line, the wait was 10 minutes max, which gave us enough time to look at the menu.

Last edited:
Waited in a VQ for three hours, ordered 2 chocolate chip cookies and a PB one. The chocolate chip ones had way too much semi sweet chocolate on top and not enough cookie, in the trash they went. My sons girlfriend said the PB one was okay at best. We all agreed, we won't buy the cookies again. We might try the cake slices though.

I've got Celiac disease so I count myself lucky due to the lines lol. I enjoy cookie dough but definitely not a lot of it and I would prefer a cookie with chewy outsides and melty insides-not hunks of dough.
The hype really seems to be working though.

We tried Gideon's in June and really loved them! I figured it would be a disappointment because of all the hype but I was pleasantly surprised. The only problem is I had the June cookie (which was white chocolate mac nut caramel I think) which means it isn't on their regular menu. It was delicious!

I didn't find them dry and crumbly in the slightest. We had them from both the Ivanhoe Village and Disney Springs locations, and they were amazing. We tried every flavor, and my favorites were cookies and cream and coffee cake. This was a trip of gorging, which is just not typically me, but I stuffed myself to the gills with all sorts of treats I'd always wanted to try and just never have in the past. While we loved Gideon's, we were so underwhelmed by Amorette's, and we spent $100 there sampling nearly everything. However, the Ganachery was divine, and Sprinkles worth another visit. Basically Gideon's, as well as any other Disney treat, comes down to personal taste.
Just a note that the non-Disney location of Gideon's is the East End Market in Orlando, not Ivanhoe Village.

Just a note that the non-Disney location of Gideon's is the East End Market in Orlando, not Ivanhoe Village.

I'll take your word for it and am duly corrected. I'm not familiar with Orlando, so just assumed the East End Market was in Ivanhoe Village, since there were flags hanging from the light poles that said Ivanhoe Village. Whatever it's called, the whole area was a cute little hipster enclave.

Just looked it up and East End Market is actually in the Audubon Park district.

IMO, the hype is mostly about the décor. Sell these cookies in an ordinary looking store and it would be just like so many others at your local mall.

My spouse really liked the crumb cake cookie. My chocolate chip cookie was OK.

Again though, I think it's mostly about the setting.

I tried Gideon's for the first time in May, and I was really underwhelmed. Maybe it was the expectation; maybe it was the wealth of good desserts I can get here in Boston.

I'd be open to going back, but I wouldn't queue for an hour again.

Real Big Gooey Cookies that are very good but not worth the wait and lines to get them, Places like Levain Bakeries n NY has the same thing

I was at Disney in January and my wife happened to be around Disney springs when they opened (can’t recall if was the first time or when they reopened but it was no notice and short wait she just happened to be there). I am normally not a sweets person but I really enjoyed the cookies and we actually went back on our Disney springs day to get more. I’m wondering if the quality went down over time or if maybe me and my family just have unique tastes compared to the average here.

If you live in a place that has any competition for a given item of food, what you experience at Disney will be far worse than what you get from the B- grade competitor in your area. My area has great BBQ and Mexican food and I don’t expect anything in the Bubble to come close to it. If I lived in NYC, anything other than BBQ at Disney would require an adjustment of expectations.

We had the orange chocolate chip cookies because my DSis was willing to wait in line. With ice cold milk, we all enjoyed those. That was in April or May.

I thought they were tasty. But not 2 hours of waiting tasty.

We happened to be in DS at opening and only waited 30 minutes.

We have found it to be very inconsistent. We have had great cookies and cake, and dry nasty ones too. Almost like left overs. When it's good, it is good. But it certainly isn't worth the wait or the cost when it's bad. Unfortunately our last visit was bad. So bad we threw the cake away.

We bought 4 or 5 on our last trip in July. We enjoyed / nibbled on them over length of stay. All were very good and well worth the effort. My vote… 👍

Quick question- do you tip there? I went for the first time tonight and paid with a Disney gift card. The cashier told me to fill it out & there was a tip line so I added a few $.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter