• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

GF Gingerbread Houses

clfnole

Earning My Ears
Question for those who have purchased the small gingerbread houses from the GF. Do you throw them out after a certain amount of time or can you keep them longer?

They are made of sugar and all but are quite hard so I wasn't sure.

Thanks in advance.

Well...here's my sad story. I bought one of the smaller ones from BC back in early Dec. I carried that puppy home on the plane, all wrapped up nice and tidy, in my carryon bag. I almost completely emptied the carry on so I could squeeze that house in there. So, I get it home, all in one piece except for one teeny tiny little piece of 'snow' that had fallen off the roof. I left it, in my kitchen, on display, all wrapped up. My dd, 13, made her own gingerbread house with some friends, so I put that one on display also. So...fast forward to Dec 31. I'm getting the house ready for our NYE guests. I take the wrappings off my BC gingerbread house, place it on a nice, high table in the dining room, with dd's house beside it. Off I go to tidy the rest of the house. Wellllll......I pass by the dining room and my dog has eaten off the side of the house!!!! Not the one my dd made but my oh so carefully transported house. Now, it's missing a side, and part of the roof!!!! My dog is an 85 lb golden retriever, so it's 'almost' amusing to think how carefully he 'nibbled' on the sides rather than wolfing it down. He also snagged one of the GF gingerbread snowflake ornaments off my Christmas tree!!!
So.....yes, we were going to eat it on NY day, but for some reason, we decided not to and to just let the evidence sit there. It's actually still rather soft in some places and I just found a shingle I brought back with me.

We've been slowly eating our house. I think I need to dunk it in milk. It's pretty tasty, though.

I've made and sold gb houses for years, some are more the "eat it up" style and others are more ornate for display purposes. If you want to keep it do this:

spray it lightly with a coat of non-yellowing shellac

store it in a lidded box

don't wrap it in plastic, it needs to breathe

also, don't store it in a high-humidty location such as garage or attic---a linen closet or some place like that is better

It will keep for several years like this. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter