• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Gettysburg Trip

RebeccaB

DIS Veteran
Did a search but didn't find anything helpful. I'd like to hear from fellow Disser's who have visited Gettysburg. We are headed there the first week of July for the 150th anniversary. Also, hitting Hershey park. How many days do we need in Gettysburg? I am a civil war/history nerd but I don't want to bore my dh and dd to tears. :) Also, what do you recommend for hotels in the area? Anyone familiar with the weather around that time of year? Sheesh, I can plan a Disney trip with my eyes closed lol....need help here!

Hi! We are going to Gettysburg July 9-12. Have you started looking for a room yet? We were going to go the same week you are but found that hotel rooms were extremely high!! We have been there several times before.

The time to tour Gettysburg all depends on how much battlefield touring you want to do, how many museums and tours you want to take. We prefer to take our time, and this year we are so excited about going on a "Ghost Tour"!!

The time you are going will be a very exciting time and you will probably see TONS of re-enactors. HAVE A GREAT TIME!

I did 3 days there once and it was not enough for this Civil War buff. What I used as a guide was a CD from TravelBrains.com. Really good. I've also used their CD's for Fredericksburg and Antietam.

Thanks Jamiesmom! Yep, I've been searching, and I'm thinking we're going to be staying somewhere about 1/2 an hour or so from the area. Because of the 150th anniversary, I'm sure that's why hotels are booked solid, or super expensive. I'm excited for the re-enactments! I never knew until a few years ago that the actual battles started on my birthday, July 3rd. So, do you advise touring the battlefield on your own, via a bus tour, or something else?

I did 3 days there once and it was not enough for this Civil War buff. What I used as a guide was a CD from TravelBrains.com. Really good. I've also used their CD's for Fredericksburg and Antietam.

Thanks Don!

I live 30 minutes away and am going there tomorrow.

Not sure how many days it would take to tour it all? I would love to do a ghost tour, sounds very interesting:thumbsup2

Don't miss going to the Gettysburg National Military Park Museum and Visitor Center. You have to pay to see the museum, a movie, and the cyclorama. But it is so worth every penny!!!! http://www.gettysburg.travel/visitor/member_detail.asp?contact_id=725

Be prepared, it can get very busy!!!

July in Gettysburg can be HOT. Some years in the triple digits, some years just high 80s-90s with high humidity. Also, be mindful of ticks if you plan on walking off the beaten path.

Staying out of town will probably be your best bet if you don't want to pay through the nose for your hotel room. Might not be many to chose from at this point anyway. Try Chambersburg, PA.

The battle lasted from July 1 - July 3. The National Park Service will arrange their program schedule according to the dates of the actual battle. Check the park's website for more specific information on special tours.
http://www.nps.gov/gett/planyourvisit/150th-anniversary-index.htm

The reenactments are NOT administered by the National Park Service - they are off park property, and so have a separate fee and schedule. The reenactment is usually not on the July 1-3. Looks like they are running July 4-7 this year.

Be prepared for crowds and traffic. Most of Gettysburg's visitation happens between June and August.

Gettysburg is a wonderful place to visit. I would say two to three days would be plenty.

Oooh super crowded for that event. Wish we could go but have other plans. Dh and i went a few years ago in Oct. and stayed at KOA. The weather could have better but it was just amazing. I wouldn't do less than 4 days especially with the crowds you'll get. Since it is such a big event you might want to do a whole week. I'm sure there'll be tons of stuff to do. There was more than enough for us to do and we stayed about 4 days i think.

If you can't get a place around Gettysburg, try Carlisle. It's a little farther than Chambersburg, but it's equidistant (at least in terms of travel time) from Gettysburg and Hershey, which means you could stay at one place the whole time. It has some good restaurants and some really nice B&Bs (Carlisle House, Fallen Tree Farm) as well as some larger hotels. It also has Civil War history: Carlisle was shelled by Stuart and his army--in fact, this was one of the reasons Stuart was late to the battle. You can still see the marks of the shelling on the Old Courthouse columns.

If you want to make a military trip of it, Carlisle has the Army Heritage Center and Harrisburg has the Civil War Museum.

You can certainly get your fill of Gettysburg with a full day of touring, but if you're a real buff you could spread it over two. (Or more, I take it from PPs.) It's going to be a madhouse the weekend you're thinking of.

As for weather, I'd bet on hot (highs in the upper 80s/low 90s) with decent chance of thunderstorms.

Urrrgh, now I am really concerned about it being so crowded. I know it will be ridiculous due to it being the 150th anniversary. I already told dh that we might not want to go at that time bc of the crowds, and he said "Really, it's not going to happen again in our lifetime!" :lmao: I just don't want to drive 10 hours and not be able to enjoy ourselves or see anything.

We can deal with the heat/humidity, we don't usually get one without the other here in Maine until late Sept and October.

That is simply a fabulous guide. We rented that from the campground and listened to it for 2 days and STILL didn't finish it:lmao: we have to go back just to hear the rest of the tour.

Upon further researching, I've discovered that there is another reenactment over the weekend of June 29-30 that recreates the entire battle(s) but is less expensive and seems a bit smaller, plus living history weekends at the battlefield itself. Perhaps we'll head down earlier. I really want to experience the actual battlefield and history first and foremost, and the reenactors secondly. Heck, we have a local historical site in my hometown that does a civil war weekend which is fabulous, so as far as that goes I can get some reenactment there.

It will be super crowded then...but your dh is right. Once in a blue moon kind of thing. I guess it depends on how badly you want to be there. All the rooms in Gburg are more than likely sold out. My daughter attends the college there and they are renting some of their apts. out for I think $300 a night, with a three night minimum, and only to families with a connection to the college. If you are downtown in the square area, take a walk over to the school. Penn Hall served as a hospital to both Union and Confederate soldiers. It is a lovely campus.

My only suggestion would be to see if you can get yourself a licensed battlefield guide. They will cater a tour to your specific interests, in your own vehicle. They take a very rigorous test to become a guide, and know tons of stuff about the Battle.

The suggestion to stay in Carlisle is a good one, but if you are not interested in Hershey, Hanover is the next medium sized town in the opposite direction. I have a feeling, though, that even hotels in these towns will be booked. This anniversary is a big deal. If you really want to go and don't mind traveling, Harrisburg is about 45 min. away. Good luck. Oh, and I would avoid driving in the traffic circle in the middle of town (Lincoln Square -Gettysburg Hotel, David Wills House) at all costs during this time.

Been there done that. DH does Civil War living history reinactment and was in Gettysberg for the 135th doing a reinactment. :cool1:

Crowded is an understatement and if you haven't already made reservations good luck on getting anything remotely close. Traffic will also be a nightmare.

It will also be hotter than hot. They were dropping like flys the year we went.

That being said it is a great place to go and immerse yourself in Civil War history. And you really need a week to do it justice.

The reinactments will be 20 miles away on local farmland NOT on the actual Gettysberg historical site.

You do realize that the Civil War lasted for 5 years and we have 2 more years to celebrate the 150th.

I could go on and on but won't. If you have to limit your time definately spend some time at the historical site just standing and listening. You can hear the soldiers still and feel their presence. Second would be to take a guided tour from a licensed tour guide and then a reinactment if you still have time.

Take plenty of water and respect the heat. Have fun and think of DH and I as you walk the battlefield. Many of the local attractions give you a discount if you show up in period clothes.

Ya know what? Screw it. We just won't go. Doesn't sound like any kind of fun at all.

I'm guessing if you and your family can handle the heat/humidity/crowds of Disney World they can handle the heat/humidity/crowds of Gettysburg. I'd lower expectations if I thought it was going to be a stress free vacation but I'd still go. I can handle most obstacles to a good vacation if I plan for them and go into it knowing they are there. I bet you guys can too.

I grew up in Harrisburg and we used to go to Gettysburg as kids several times a year. In fact we begged to go. I would suggest allowing for plenty of time for your kids to explore areas like devil's den, big and little roundtop, and the trails. They will probably find all of the monuments less interesting than the more natural features of the area. We used to love to climb and explore. It truly is not frowned upon. Once a guide we were with says that it made him happy to see children frolicking because it meant they would have a good experience and memory and more likely to reflect positively on the more serious aspects as they got older.

Another favorite way to see the area is biking.

Ya know what? Screw it. We just won't go. Doesn't sound like any kind of fun at all.

Wow, where did this come from??? I mean, if you are truly a Civil War buff, this place is pure heaven :cloud9:

Yes, it will be hot, it's July. Yes, it will be busy, sounds like you were planning on being there one of the busiest times of the year.

Gettysburg really isn't that big of a town. Pre-planning is kind of important when you visit here around the 4th of July and it being the 150th anniversary.

We had a great visit there yesterday.

More canons than you can shake a stick at.

Gettysburg 2013 001-HDR by sharod1031, on Flickr

People throughout the park dressed in character with more info than one person can possibly digest.

Gettysburg 2013 048 by sharod1031, on Flickr

And they have a sense of humor too!

Gettysburg 2013 053_edited-1 by sharod1031, on Flickr

Horseback riding through the battlefield if you so desire.

Gettysburg 2013 042_edited-1 by sharod1031, on Flickr

People love climbing the rocks at Devil's Den. It's bigger than it looks. This pic was taken from up on Little Round Top.

Gettysburg 2013 062 by sharod1031, on Flickr

Lots of different memorials.

Gettysburg 2013 100-HDR by sharod1031, on Flickr

Even though not a reenactment, reenactors are set up in the park. Full garb, tents, shooting demos, etc. This pic was taken a couple years ago. But they were there yesterday too.

selective color edit by sharod1031, on Flickr

Wow. I can't tell if you're serious or being sarcastic towards people who tried to help you (as you requested) in seeing things that should be taken into consideration.

We went for a school field trip a couple of weeks ago. It is absolutely beautiful there! We had a step on tour guide on our bus that was AMAZING!!!!!!!! He had an immense amount of knowledge and catered the tour around where we are from. The North Carolina memorial is STUNNING!!! The same guy that did Mt. Rushmore did it, and the detail is spot on. We did the ghost tour and that was really cool too! I can't wait for 2 more years when my son is in 5th grade and I get to go again. It was awesome!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter