Getting your drink on in the most magical place on earth

So I'm no alcoholic...but I can't imagine I won't want a drink or three after returning from the most "magical" place on earth after I get back to my resort. I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that drink prices are on the "holy ****" level.

So all of you experienced boozers out there, what's the best strategy? Do I smuggle it in my luggage? Suck it up and buy the $15 Mai tai at the resort?

What's the best way to get your drink on?

Disclaimer: obviously not sloppy, cover your kids eyes drunk...just feeling a little more "magical".

It's definitely pricey, but then again, most public place alcohol is. Most of the time I just suck it up because there are so many good drinks out there.

Drinking around Epcot is a great idea. Start at Mexico and pick up a Margarita at every country. They're all different and all good. Some countries might not have them, but they'll have something.

We also take our own alcohol in our luggage and make mixed drinks in the Rapidfill cups to go to the pool with. Haha.

But, if you run out, or decide not to do that, almost all the resorts do have a location to buy liquor. At Polynesian, we grabbed some vodka and Fuse drinks and made some pretty good drinks for not too expensive. Of course it's way more pricey than liquor at home, but I don't think its' on the "Oh %$#@" ridiculous level.

Downtown Disney is also a good place to go have fun at night. Margarita stands everywhere. Disney might be my favorite place to have drinks. We celebrated my wife's 21st birthday last year in April there. I always tell people one of the main draws for me at Disney is the fact that I never need a DD. Drink all you want, stumble your way to the bus, and you're home with no problem. Of course, I'm not talking sloppy, obnoxiously drunk.

We could start a whole new thread on which ride gets better or worse when it comes to feeling "magical" in the parks.

I'll tell ya...going backwards in Spaceship Earth is def one of my favorites to do. I can't imagine doing Mission Space Orange though.

We could start a whole new thread on which ride gets better or worse when it comes to feeling "magical" in the parks.

I'll tell ya...going backwards in Spaceship Earth is def one of my favorites to do. I can't imagine doing Mission Space Orange though.

I can't imagine doing MS Orange stone cold sober, let alone with a drink on...

I can't imagine doing MS Orange stone cold sober, let alone with a drink on...

Hold on. I haven't been to the world in 10 years and the last time I recall Mission:SPACE, there were red, green, yellow, and blue bays. I remember them changing the ~intensity~ but did they botch it all together?

Hold on. I haven't been to the world in 10 years and the last time I recall Mission:SPACE, there were red, green, yellow, and blue bays. I remember them changing the ~intensity~ but did they botch it all together?

I've only been in the last two years, they had green for wimps (me) and orange which is more intense.

That's it.

On Topic. i bought some JD on the flight from the UK and mixed it with the energy drink from the food court. No one knows what's in your mug :-)

This has got to be my favorite thread! We drive to Disney so we always have our big cooler filled with beer and vodka, for the bottles of lemonade I get with my quick service lunch, that we wheel down to the pool everyday. So if anyone is staying at POR over Easter you will see a group of 23 with 3 or 4 coolers at the pool! :cool1::cool1:

Going backwards on Expedition Everest certainly would not be a "magical" experience for the people around me....neither would say, Astro Orbiter. :rotfl2:

Funny side note...I went to WDW when I was a senior in high school with my choir. Of course being ridiculous high school kids, we decided to "infuse" fruit with vodka to bring along on the trip. There was a whole group of people that "drank" a boatload of oranges right before going on Space Mountain, and the funniest thing ever was watching their dumb a*** stumble off straight to the garbage cans. :lmao: kids. I must say though, those oranges were mighty tasty!

We used to go to EPCOT every year for New Years. Remember back when the Land had a live guide doing the presentation on Living with the Land? Well the years my sister had just turned 21 and then 22, after the midnight celebration at WS we went to enjoy a few rides. She took over the tour guides job and provided the tour. The first year we were a group of 10 and had our own boat. She was hilarious. All the Land CM gave her a large round of applause upon finishing. The second year we were a group of 14 but a group of 4-5 had joined us and managed to sit in the middle rows between us. Luckily she was a WDW appropriate sort of funny and entertaining because of the group was probably a 6 or 7 year old kid. She did not notice they were there until were halfway through. I think it was the next year that the recorded audio track was the new norm. So sad.

When we drive, I usually stop at a liquor store that's right outside of one of the Wal-Marts nearby. They have a small selection of craft beers (I usually grab some local beers or ones that don't distribute to my State). Publix also had a decent selection of craft beer. Wal-Mart not so much but if you drink Bud you are good.

When we flew and stayed at Boardwalk, I walked to the Hess and grabbed an 18 pack for what it would have cost to buy about 3 beers in the Disney gift shop.

I always drink in the parks (mostly Epcot) but I find if I bring my own to consume while at the hotel, I spend less on overpriced ones in the park.

We were there during food and wine in October and that opened up my eyes to the joy of partaking in a beer or two while at the parks. Made my experience that much more enjoyable.

I have to admit that I did this first at Epcot but then realized I could also do it at AK and HS... score! Or so I thought. We went to MK for the halloween party and I thought, "wow a beer sure would fit in really well here". That's when I discovered no beer at MK. Not cool guys... not cool. :)

Love the comments and suggestions! Done it both ways - flying and driving. Driving - just went by Publix and picked up a 6 or 12 pack. Flying - used carry on for clothes and free checked bag for beer and bottle of wine.

Few tips - you can take cans down to the pool, just not glass. Also, ask for a free cup of water and get a disposable cup, they never ask you what's in there when you go from resort to resort. Finally, rain jacket with big pockets and no bag check is a great way to walk into Epcot with a beer.

When we drive, I usually stop at a liquor store that's right outside of one of the Wal-Marts nearby. They have a small selection of craft beers (I usually grab some local beers or ones that don't distribute to my State). Publix also had a decent selection of craft beer. Wal-Mart not so much but if you drink Bud you are good.

When we flew and stayed at Boardwalk, I walked to the Hess and grabbed an 18 pack for what it would have cost to buy about 3 beers in the Disney gift shop.

I always drink in the parks (mostly Epcot) but I find if I bring my own to consume while at the hotel, I spend less on overpriced ones in the park.

What's the walk from Hess to the Boardwalk area like?

Hess is circled in red, the yellow circle is the Boardwalk bus stop. The Hess is about .25 mi from the front of the Boardwalk:

hessmap_zpsfd0b82d7.jpg

The HESS near the Boardwalk is a great place to stop for beer, wine and snacks if you don't have a car. I remember folks on other threads that bring a rolling suitcase with them to the Hess (but I'm not sure that they are allowed on the Disney park buses).

Here's a thread about the Hess with photos: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2704495 .

My other recommendation is for lightweight plastic flasks called Rum Runners (http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com/). I bought a kit and I put white rum and vodka in the larger flasks and Meyer's rum in the smaller ones. I double bag them in ziplocks just in case but I have never had a problem.

When we drive we always stop at a liquor store near Downtown Disney (not sure if I can give the name but it is ABC Liquors). We usually pick up wine and single malt (for my DH) and the prices are reasonable.

There was only one instance I can remember when we had a "heavy" pour at WDW. We were staying at Bay Lake Tower and stopped at the pool bar for a Captain's Mai Tai. By the time my DH and I were half way through the drink, I was feeling it. I thought it was just me because I am a bit of a light weight when it comes to drinking. I realized it wasn't just me when my DH turned to me and said "Are you drunk, because this drink is really strong."

Like the previous poster, I was going to suggest Rum Runners too. We have used them successfully many times. As long as you follow the directions and only partially fill them you should have no issues.

There is nothing wrong with making the trip a little more magical with some yummy adult beverages. My DH and I always have a drink with each sit down meal and then of course there is EPCOT. He still hasn't been able to make it around to all of the countries because he tends to get a few from some of his favorite spots, mainly England. I'm not the beer drinker but there is always something yummy to try. Especially the frozen ones on a nice hot day..

Question, we are staying at BC for the first time which has my DH very happy to be so close to all the yummy beers from around the world. Are we able to walk out of EPCOT with our drinks to walk back to BC or do we need to ensure we have a cup to store it in?

There is nothing wrong with making the trip a little more magical with some yummy adult beverages. My DH and I always have a drink with each sit down meal and then of course there is EPCOT. He still hasn't been able to make it around to all of the countries because he tends to get a few from some of his favorite spots, mainly England. I'm not the beer drinker but there is always something yummy to try. Especially the frozen ones on a nice hot day.. Question, we are staying at BC for the first time which has my DH very happy to be so close to all the yummy beers from around the world. Are we able to walk out of EPCOT with our drinks to walk back to BC or do we need to ensure we have a cup to store it in?

You cannot walk out of Epcot with a drink so it would need to be "hidden" in a mug or whatever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter