Getting worried about crowds the 5/3 -5/10

Iheoma

Mouseketeer
Hi,

I'm getting worried about the crowd levels during 5/3 -5/10. I read in another thread that this is a holiday week for some northeastern states. It was my hope that things wouldn't be so busy during this time. Does anyone have info about crowd attendance or experience about this time frame? Vacation is fast approaching and I'm starting to get a little nervous because DH and I have always visited during low attendance periods in February or very early March. TIA

We're going to be there May 1-11 so I would also be interested in hearing if this is true. Just what Holiday would they be celebrating, anyway? At any rate, I'm sure we will enjoy ourselves as this is our first family vacation in about 1 1/2 years!

:Pinkbounc

I have no idea about any holiday but we were there around the same time last year. May 1-7 to be exact. During the day the parks weren't too crowded but definitely more so than early in the year. The problem we encountered was at night. MK was closed early almost every night for grad night or some other event. One night MGM was closed early on top of MK which meant everyone was in Epcot. We left just before Illuminations started and it was almost wall to wall people. I'd just suggest getting to the parks before opening and being flexible about your evening.

We will be there 5/1-9. We have been the first or second week of May for many years now and have never found the crowds to be a problem. I don't recall the studios being closed early last year as previously stated but haven't found the MK closing at 7 to be a problem. We're usually at a park each night and have been fine, although we are lingerers. Even with our kids, we don't run for the bus after the last firework glows. We find a bench, have a drink of water and people watch as the crowd filters out. Relax, it will be fine.

Think the holiday that they are worried about is Mother's day and I don't think it bothers the attendance much. We have been the first week of May twice now and it was not crowded and could walk on most things with no problem.

We are going to try Sept this year and I am worried I will not like it as well since we liked May so much.

Have a question about Sept. Does the Night of Joy (christian mucis) make the park busier?

I have been during this week about 5-6 times and not had much problem with crowds. As the day goes on, the more popular rides might have a 15-20 minute wait but nothing too terrible. We usually go during February too-don't worry!

It seems very late for a school break, but if it is Mother's day that you are worried about, don't be. If you want to do the Mother's day brunch in Epcot, I would make sure to have a reservation though!

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I'm just trying to force my self to worry even when I don't need to. No matter what we'll have a great vacation.

:hyper:

Wow what a scare this topic was for me !!! I have done a lot of research about our time frame and found that it was a good time to go. I'm glad to have read that others had no problems with early May !

We went last year during the first week of May and it was nice. Definitely not the slowest time of year, but not really crowded either. The waits were short. However, there were definitely people everywhere, so I wouldn't call it "slow".

We were at WDW the first week of May 2002 for 9 days and we encountered only 2 crowd problems. Spectomagic and the fireworks were only shown on 2 nights of the 8 nights we were there. The night we went to MK for this was unbelievably crowded and the buses were a nightmare. Also, I would avoid Epcot on Fridays in May because I believe they get a lot of field trips from local schools. Other than that, we had a fantastic time and little to no waits on most rides. Have a great trip!

Cathy

I was very excited to read the replys on this post. I have also worried about crowds during the 1st & 2nd week of May, we have never been during this time period. But all of my research tells me it is a good time to go.:bounce: :Pinkbounc

Well, I am here in the North East - where it is still COLD!!! I don't think the NE is celebrating any holidays, although I feel like I live under a rock sometimes!!

We have gone to Disney World two other times in the beginning of May and are going again this year. We really haven't encountered a problem with crowds but it is busy. The weather is oh so nice!! This is one of my favorite times of the year to go.

VMKIDS: just a little FYI - we went in September for our honeymoon in 1998 and it POURED ALL DAY, EVERY DAY we were there!! (I know, I know it could be different now)!! We are so afraid of going back to Disney during this time because of our past experience. I hope your trip at that time is wonderful and DRY!!

Lisa

I've been gone for a while (from Mass.) but I'm pretty sure the school vacations are February and April (public schools) and 3rd week of March for most colleges.

I'll be there 5/8-15 myself. See you there...

Originally posted by BrittnTylersMom
:wave2: Handymom
We're going May 8-15th too! :D

Glad to have read good things about going in May!

Where are y'all staying? Hey BTW I'm originally from Mattapoisett Massachusetts.

Nice to read this thread. We're May newbies too. Going 5/14-22 but I expect it will get busier at the end of our stay.

vmkids, re Sept and NOJ. We were there last year during this and simply didn't go to MK on those days at all. Didn't notice the other parks being crowded in fact, one point was walking thru World Showcase during afternoon one day and remember thinking 'this is almost spooky'. It was like a ghost town. We were there 9/1 (labor day) to 9/8. Weather was great and no crowds. Lots of Lovebugs however. They don't bite but are just irritating.

Sharon

We have our school vacation the week of April 19th - 23rd. Because Patriots day falls on the 19th.

We are thinking of planning a trip in early May too!

I'm from the Northeast as well and can assure you there are no holidays here for the first week in May. School is only out in Februrary for a week and in April for a week. I'm going the first week in May also(my kids are homeschooled so we have that freedom) because it's a perfect time for us to go to Disney (it's our favorite time to go actually). Have fun!!

We normally go in May. It's more crowded than say, January, but totatally manageable. We love the Epcot flower show.

DH, DS, 2, and I will be at BCV from May 9-14.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter