getting upgraded at AKL

stina

Maximum Magic Maker
Does anyone have any knowlege of or experience with booking "standard" rooms at AKL then getting upgraded to "savannah view" for no extra charge upon arrival?

I would like to stay at AKL for 7 nights / 8 days in sept. but i just can't see myself paying savannah rate. I've HEARD that in the value season if the savannah rooms aren't full they will upgrade you for no extra charge. I'm wondering how true this is. I really really really want to stay there! So what are the chances? I just don't think I can afford straight savannah view prices. I don't care what savannah view it is, I just don't want to look at a parking lot.

stina::MinnieMo

Don't set yourself up for disappointment. Book a room you can afford and be happy with. Upgrades do happen but not as much as you seem to think!

We got an upgrade at AKL to savannah view (from standard) last August (16-23rd). We didn't ask for it - didn't know it until she was telling me where the room was and I realized it overlooked the savannah.

I think the standard room is a great value at this resort - which is so beautiful. I would happily stay there in a standard room. My other thought, not sure if anyone has done this, is if you are booking the resort without a package (room only codes would work I guess) you could book 5 nights standard and the first 2 savannah and then you'd for sure get a couple of nights without blowing the budget. Maybe they'd be more likely to let you keep the savannah view! I'd book the savannah view nights on some time that I planned to see less of the parks and more of the hotel.

Have fun!

You can usually get one at the AKL. This depends on the time of year mostly. I stayed at AKL just a few weeks after it opened . I had booked a standard view room. They gave me a Savannah view room at no charge. The standard view rooms are not located in that great of area. I was there for 10 days , and I did a lot of exploring the hotel. Some of the standard rooms on the left side aren't that bad , however the ones on the l right behind the bus stop would not be that good. But, I always said after staying there , a broom closet with a bed would be ok for me , as long as it was at the AKL. I went back to the AKL the following year with a STD. view room. I was given a free upgrade pool view room , which I loved. Just remember, what ever you get at AKL, it will be a great experience. The food , the pool, and the decor will be breath taking. I'm going back in July for 10 days.
I hope you have a nice stay in Sept.

Ronnie from Va.
pirate:

Originally posted by stina
I really really really want to stay there! So what are the chances? I just don't think I can afford straight savannah view prices. I don't care what savannah view it is, I just don't want to look at a parking lot.

stina::MinnieMo

Less than 10% of the rooms are standard, upgrades are common BUT you may wind up with a pool view room upgrade. You might split your stay with another resort so your total room cost is OK or take your chances.

If you book a standard view room, you need to be prepared to get exactly what you paid for...which is a view of the parking lot or rooftops.

We booked a standard room for our trip last week. We checked in at midnight on a Saturday night and were not upgraded. I was offered a room change because we had requested bunk beds and they couldn't accomidate us that night. I accepted the room change, but was satisfied with the standard room. Great hotel.

The room change that was offered did not go well. It took three different cast members and the better part of the next day to get the change to go through in the computer. Low and behold when they gave me my new keys they were for room 4239, 4th floor overlooking the Arusha Savannah. It was a beautiful room and we did enjoy the savannah experience.

princess: Shelly

I booked a standard view for our honeymoon this past August and we were upgraded to a savannah view with a king bed. We were not expecting an upgrade and we're very grateful to get it. I'm assuming it was mostly given to us because they knew it was our honeymoon trip--not sure if we would have gotten it otherwise. That said, I would still book a standard view at AKL because that is what we can afford. There are plenty of animal lookouts and viewing areas all around the resort--even when walking down the hallway! The resort is fabulous and I think you will enjoy it with a standard view or savannah view.

Our friends went during a slow time last year and were upgraded to a pool view room, not a savannah view - still nice, though.

My family and I stayed at AKL over the last New Years Eve, and we were lucky enough to get upgraded at checkin from standard to Deluxe Savannah. Needless to stay, we were ecstatic ! Considering that we were checking in the day after Christmas - one of the busiest times of the year - my expectations were not too high of getting any kind of upgrade.

I do believe that there were several reasons why we were fortunate enough to have such a good dose of "pixie dust" in this case. I knew from reading the boards that tourism had picked back up and it was a stressful time for the cast members at WDW. I was determined that on this trip I was going to make the conscious effort to be as nice to them as they had always been to me. After a short 15 minute wait in line at checkin, we met Mike, our desk cleck cm. I presented my information to him, and then during the process asked if any pool or savannah rooms were available, and what the cost would be for those rooms. He presented the prices to me ( approx. $500 for pool, $600 for savannah). My wife and I decided to let the children (10 y/o daughter and 10 y/o best friend) pick what they wanted - they chose savannah. Wife and I looked at each other, gulped, and said "ok".

Mike then took the calculator that he had, showed us the $ amount that we had agreed to and said "this is what your room would have been, here is what it will be now" and pressed one more key - zeroing out the display. We were amazed - our very first stay at AKL during the busiest time of the year and were got a 3 category upgrade, and we were on an $109 AP rate. I later calculated that the combination of that AP rate and the upgrade was about $3000 worth of pixie dust.

In retrospect , I believe we were this fortunate for several reasons:

- We made an effort to be nice !

- We were willing to pay for the upgraded accommodations.

- We let the children decide.

There was a post from a CM a week or two ago on this board. In his(her?) post it was mentioned that they are human just like us , and treating them with kindness and respect will sometimes be rewarded in kind. I firmly believe this is what we experienced.

"this is what your room would have been, here is what it will be now" and pressed one more key - zeroing out the display

Aw, how cute is that??? Glad that happened for you -- how neat!

AKL is my favorite resort, and savannah view is a must. We were upgraded once to Deluxe Savannah.

Enjoy your stay!

We were upgraded from standard view to savannah in June 2002. I would have been OK with standard, but an upgrade is always welcome. ::yes::

...and I don't expect that would happen for us because we'll be there the last week of June(AKL). My question is,will the CM tell us if our room has been upgraded? Or will we just be surprised when we get to our room?

We've stayed at AKL 3 times now. The first time we paid for and got a savannah view room. The other 2 times (last August and last month) we booked standard rooms and that is exactly what we got. We inquired about an upgrade but were told that none were available and that was fine, after all, I didn't pay for one. We are going again in August and we have booked a savannah view room. To be honest there is so much to do at the hotel and so many places to see the animals, I am just happy to be there - so we will continue to mix it up, sometimes savannah view rooms and sometimes a standard room. My advice is to pay for what will make you happy - don't put all of your hope in the chance of a free upgrade. Good Luck and have a great trip. :D

Airhead - we were just surprised when we got to our room and found out our room was larger (a little) and we had a savannah view!!

My neighbors were down at the end of April. They had booked a Standard, room only code. They asked very nicely at check in if there were any free upgrades. The CM was very gracious and said that if she would have known ahead of time that they were on their second honeymoon, she would have tried to get them an upgrade, but they were all out. She said since it was such a busy time, they were giving out the free upgrades to the people celebrating honeymoons and things like that. My neighbors were extremely happy with their standard view room and loved the resort anyway. I would go expecting what you paid for, a standard view room, but it never hurts to ask.

Last June, 2 standard view rooms booked, adjoining please (4 kids) preferably 1 with bunkbeds.
When we arrived at check-in our CM said be patient with me I just started here this week. We are patient, friendly people.
I was chatting with him about which resort he had worked at prior, how excited our family was to be staying at AKL for the first time, inquiring if he liked his new job, etc. etc.
I asked if there was any possibility of upgrading our rooms or one of our rooms since one of our children is a budding biologist and he looks down at his computer screen and says, "i see that has already been done".
You could have peeled my DH off the ceiling!
all the times we have been to the world we have never been upgraded. and this was a comp. upgrade to boot!
Right there, that set the tone for the rest of the week, best WDW vacation we have ever experienced. That is why we are going back to AKL. Magic and pixie dust at every turn.
The drawback: waking up to the sight of that misty peaceful savanna was unforgettable. It would be hard NOT to repeat that.
Having said that, the AKL resort is so fabulous, I wouldn't choose another one over it if there were no savanna view rooms available. There are plenty of places from which to view the animals throughout the resort.
I am biting my nails about this trip. Ressies are for AKL-CL Deluxe BB SAV/Pool RM. This year travelling with 3 kids instead of 4.
I keep letting them know that having a room with a sav. view will make or break this trip for the one child whom is even MORE of an animal fanatic than she was last year.
Anyone there end of june / 1st part of July who hears non-stop wailing, I will apologize in advance, It will either be my DD or possibly myself!
One more thing, at AKL after 11 trips praying for the infamous "towel animal" to be bestowed upon our humble family we got them 7 out of 8 nights- both rooms!
* We left nice mousekeeping tips in the morning, never left the room a pigstye and the kids wrote our mousekeeper a thankyou note every morning before we left for the parks.
On the last day I wrote her a long letter about how she had so greatly enriched our vacation. Just as we were about to leave we finally met her in person. Took pictures with her and the kids. She was a great sport and seemed to truly appreciate the fuss.
I don't need to try anymore resorts. That place rings all my bells!

All of this talk is getting me really excited about the possibility for me too!!
I will be there in Sept with DH,DS4,and DS2.
I do not plan on asking for anything, because that's just not in my nature, but I am really curious now because of all these posts.
It will definitely make my day, but I know not to be too hopeful!:bitelip:

We weren't upgraded (2 pool view rooms) but I didn't ask. The guy checking in next to me was upgraded from standard view to a DELUXE pool view room.

We were upgraded both times we stayed at AKL even though we never asked or had it noted in our reservatives. The first time the CM offered to upgrade us from our standard view room for about $60/night. I thanked her but said it was too much... she agreed with me and said she'd do it for free. The second time the CM gave us the upgrade without asking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter