Getting to HH on a Saturday in July--insane?

thisismyusername

DIS Veteran
I am looking into a place to sleep on our way to HH for our July trip. As of right now, we plan to start driving on a Friday afternoon after work ends, but I don't think either of us will be able to drive through the middle of the night to get all of the way to HHI. In the past, on our way to Disney, we've managed to drive to Florence, SC starting so late in the afternoon, and I was considering staying in the same hotel as we stayed in before, getting up in the morning, and then continuing the drive to HH that morning, which should be about a 3 hour drive according to the maps I've used.

But I'm concerned that 3 hours may turn into 6 knowing how congested and crazy beach traffic is in the middle of July. Should I be expecting similar conditions heading into HH? Would you recommend another area to stay? Or would you recommend we take a half vacation day on that Friday and just drive to HH (likely arriving around 10 p.m.) and just spend the night at another hotel and then move over to Disney in the morning?

As an aside, if we do get there in the morning, we are expecting that our room won't be ready until the afternoon, but I was thinking that we would be allowed to use the pool and the beach house, correct?

Stay in Florence. In the mornings the traffic going off the island is the heaviest and around noon it starts to pick up going onto the island. The construction is complete on 278 heading to the island. Traffic may be heavy but it won't take you hours to get from 95 to the resort.

I agree with SC Minnie. We go every July or August and it only takes us about an hour from 95 to the resort. Yes, you may use the pool and everything until your room is ready. Have fun. We love Hilton Head. Giving it up this summer to try Aulani!

I am looking into a place to sleep on our way to HH for our July trip. As of right now, we plan to start driving on a Friday afternoon after work ends, but I don't think either of us will be able to drive through the middle of the night to get all of the way to HHI. In the past, on our way to Disney, we've managed to drive to Florence, SC starting so late in the afternoon, and I was considering staying in the same hotel as we stayed in before, getting up in the morning, and then continuing the drive to HH that morning, which should be about a 3 hour drive according to the maps I've used.

But I'm concerned that 3 hours may turn into 6 knowing how congested and crazy beach traffic is in the middle of July. Should I be expecting similar conditions heading into HH? Would you recommend another area to stay? Or would you recommend we take a half vacation day on that Friday and just drive to HH (likely arriving around 10 p.m.) and just spend the night at another hotel and then move over to Disney in the morning?

As an aside, if we do get there in the morning, we are expecting that our room won't be ready until the afternoon, but I was thinking that we would be allowed to use the pool and the beach house, correct?
It really depends on 2 things, when you arrive and if there are any accidents. It could be 3 hrs to get to the resort off 95 or it could be an hour. If you hit the wrong time, early afternoon, it could easily be somewhat more than an hour without any complications but if there is a fender bender it could be a lot more. I'd suggest arriving early, maybe 9-11 at the resort, and your chances of major issues are almost none. At 2-4 it's likely to be far worse.

We did this exactly in 2013 and no trouble with traffic. We got to the resort around 1pm after a 3 hour drive from Florence. Last year, we flew into Charleston and drove to HHI arriving around the same time.

This year we are flying into Atlanta on Saturday, July 11 and driving to HHI. Staying overnight in Bluffton (since our reservation doesn't start till Sunday) - Florence is doable but there are some cheap hotels right off island...which makes that trip in that morning a lot easier.

One thing we did in the past was schedule a Dolphin tour early the day we arrived

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter