Getting the building (or even the room) you want?

Zombie

Mouseketeer
So we're likely going back to the same resort as we stayed at last time (CSR). It's because we had such an amazing stay and even though we would like to explore some other resorts -- there were so many positives about CSR for our family's needs, we don't want to risk switching.

Though there's still some underlying fear that the resort might pale to our previous experience. Or that part of our appreciation of its awesomeness had a lot to do with the village and building we ended up in -- being that we just really lucked out with being fairly close to the main building, on the first floor, right around the corner from a quiet pool, and across the parking lot from the first bus stop. Basically -- it was ideal for us.

Basically other villages or buildings might not be as awesome because of their different positioning on the resort or in proximity to a quiet pool and bus stop.

So now the other decision-maker in the party is wondering ... rather than just waiting and seeing where we end up in the giant resort ... is there any way we can snag the same building (or even the same room) as we had last year?

I know there's no real way to guarantee this. But any tips on how you go about putting in a request and ways to do it that may make that little wish come true ... it'd be much appreciated.

I know we can put a village preference and then two placement preferences when you do online check-in. We did that last time and we got the two placement requests (near a pool and near a bus stop) but not our village preference. That worked out fine. I'm wondering what the likelihood of us getting the same building if we put the village we were in and the near pool and near bus options again? Or if it's all pretty random? We'd requested Cabanas last time because we'd seen lots of reviews that it was the nicest, quietest, best for families and closest of the non-preferred rooms to El Centrado. We got put in Building 4 of Casistas. And after walking around the resort -- we think we preferred our area better than Cabanas. But Casistas is the largest village, it seems, and I think we just got lucky in being that close to the quiet pool (or maybe not given our other preferences we ticked off).

We didn't go in and explore the Ranchos area -- just skirted around it on the walking trail. It looked peaceful but it's definitely a bit of a hike to the main building and we'd prefer a quiet pool over the Dig Site proximity. We do spend a lot of time on the resort because of a health issue in our family. It's really more of a 'resort' vacation for us than a 'Disney Parks' vacation. We'll probably only spend 'three days' in the parks and then we'll likely only be spending late-afternoon and/or evening in the parks, if last year is any indication. And we'll be doing one or both of the water parks. The water parks and the pools are a BIG novelty and vacation selling point in our family and a very special treat. So basically ... being near a quiet pool (and having it almost feel like our own personal, private pool for hours each day) was a huge thing for us last year and something we hope to be able to recapture on some level this year. Though, we completely understand every vacation and experience is going to be different.

We're really just hoping for the best and hoping it lives up to our first time Disney experience. So nervous it won't! :(

Can you really capture that kind of magic twice? Yikes.

Actually quite a lot of people request Casitas 4, since it not considered a "preferred location." My advice would be to make "Casitas 4" your only request on the reservation and leave it at that. Look at it this way, you didn't get your request (Cabanas) last time and ended up liking your location. I really wouldn't stress over this too much.

Just put the request on the reservation. There's really nothing extra you can do. Just depends on availability.

Casitas 1, 2, and 3 are the "preferred" location rooms, a different booking category. If you put in Casitas 4, you might get 4, might get 5, as both are Casitas. I've stayed at both, and 5 is still pretty close to that bus stop, a little longer walk to the quiet pool at 4 though.

We had pretty much the same thing happen to us. I requested a Cabanas room and got Bldg 4 of the Casitas (except we were on the 2nd Floor) and discovered I loved the building. I was told by the CM that the Casitas buildings are the easier to get in as they are larger so have more rooms. You could add on the reservation that you would like room # XXXX because you stayed in it last time. Not sure if it would help you get it but you could always try.

If you don't mind - how long was your walk to the feature pool from Casistas 4?

I can't recall exactly. We were so happy with our quiet pool that we only walked around to the Dig Site once. It wasn't an absurd walk or anything like that -- it was just a walk. Not a hop out of your room and you're in the pool like for our quiet pool (which was great for when we got back from the parks at night and want to do a bit of a cool down before tossing everyone in bed). I'd say it might've been about a 7-10 minute walk but we've got a health issue in our family that keeps us moving at a bit of mozy rather than having a little guy running full-tilt speed to get to the water slide, if you know what I mean. I'd say if you're walking at a fairly standard clip it'd likely be more like a 5-7 minute walk.

I believe the full circuit of the trail around the lake is about 1.6 miles. So if you pictured a clock the central building (check-in, restaurants, etc.) is at the half-past mark and the Dig Site pool/bar/activities/playground/arcade is at the top of the hour. Building 4 would be at about the 35 or 40 minute past the hour mark -- so about a 3-5 minute walk to the main building and about double the length up to the big pool.

Hope that helps.

Laugh if you will,but I send my room requests in by Snail Mail about 10 days out and get them EVERY time-I think the Room Assignors are so shocked to see the Snail Mail,they bend over backwards to grant the requests.:)

Meldev, I see that you've been to POR and CBR. We had been considering them. I think we're fairly set on going back to CSR at this point because of how well it seemed to fit our family.

But I'm wondering how you felt about your experience at POR and CBR? If you have any thoughts on the buses or the size of the resorts too, it'd be appreciated.

We really loved the quiet of CSR and how uncrowded and fast the buses were too. And that we didn't need ADR for the Maya Grill. Two easy walk-ups with immediate seating for us. And ... well ... Mexican-inspired food generally works pretty well for our family.

The room size at CSR was great too. Would've liked if they had a table/chairs rather than a desk, though. But that's about our only complaint about the room.

WEDWDW, who/where do you send the snail mail request?

I'm not sure where you put a written request with your reservation either. I don't recall seeing that last time. Just boxes to tick off in the online check-in thing.

I suppose I could always phone. How far ahead is best to do that?

I get it! I have stayed in resorts where it was pretty perfect the first time around and I wanted the same thing again. Unfortunately, it hasn't happened that way for us. Sometimes we get the 'perfect' location, sometimes not. On rare occasions I have had to 'suck it up' and put up with what I felt was the worst room in my category. It is literally the luck of the draw and dependant upon availability. Someone gets to stay in the dream room, someone has to stay in the less desirable room. It is what it is.

That said, if Casitas 4 is your main objective, make it your only request. They do try to make it happen for you. I have stayed in different rooms in Casitas and Cabanas and I always request Casitas 4 when booking a standard room. It really is a great location.. Other locations are not bad, though. casitas 5 is just a few extra steps and Cabanas 9 a and B are nice. (9B is business class though - worth the extra $$ sometimes)

It is out of your control, so there is little point worrying about it. If only Casitas 4 will make you happy at this resort, perhaps another one would work better for you. You may not always get what you want. You could end up in Ranchos most distant location. It does happen. Sometimes it is unavoidable, especially if the resort is full.

FWIW, I try to find a booking category/resort that i will be content with even if I get the worst possible room. Not always easy with WDW, but some resorts offer better odds than others. For example a courtyard view room in the Wilderness Lodge offers fairly consistently nice rooms with few drawbacks. Also TPV at the GF in the RPC is a good bet. Perhaps my favourite is the CR TPV CL. All of these rooms are almost equally good. None are a far walk from the lounge, all have full balconies, all have an amazing view, almost all are on the 12th floor, all have the same configuration with 2 queens and a daybed. You could request an odd numbered room, but that is about it. If you get even numbered, you have to watch wishes from the daybed or balcony. Not a dream killer.

I like booking resorts/categories where I can book what I want and not have to worry that I won't get my requests. If you book a category with a lot of rooms of varying levels of desirability, sometimes you will get what you want, sometimes you might not.

Some people are always lucky and tell wonderful stories. Some people have had nightmare experiences with down grades, even. While most people are somewhere in the middle.

good luck! wherever you stay, i hope that you next Wdw vacation is as magical as the first!

I'm not sure where you put a written request with your reservation either. I don't recall seeing that last time. Just boxes to tick off in the online check-in thing.

call anytime after the reservation is booked up to about 4 days prior to arrival. i think that having requests added by calling is the best way.

I hand write a letter saying how much I am looking forward to staying at their Resort and include my requests.

I mail it directly to the street address of my Resort with "ATTN.:Room Assignor" on the envelope about 10 days out.:)

I'm 8 for 8 since I started doing this-I like those odds!:)

Make the request by phone when you book. Make sure they know that getting the room you want is more important than having a room ready when you arrive. Ask about it when you check in and let them know that you would be willing to wait for that room. I don't ever request specific rooms but always a specific building. We have always gotten it but sometimes we had to wait until later in the day for it to be assigned to us. No matter because we always head straight the the parks upon arrival even if the room is ready. CSR has become our favorite resort. Now we always request Cabanas building 8A and we ask for a corner room. 8A is a short walk to the Dig Site and the Ranchos quiet pools. The quiet pool was like you described. There was hardly ever anyone there when we would go. It is also close to bus stop #4. Some of the corner rooms in the Cabanas buildings have two windows which make the room a lot brighter. Cheers and have a great trip.

Snail-mail works well if you use nice paper, type it and are very polite. Add any celebrations, such as "it will be our 20th wedding anniversary when we stay at the .........., could you please surprise us with a great room in ............. or a great view of .........."

Or if there is a smoking allergy ..."Please assign us a room away from the smoking areas dues to an issue with smoke in our family".

Or "Please assign us a room away from the elevator in a quiet area, we have an infant which takes afternoon naps"

Or, " One member in our room has a mobility issue, so if we were kindly placed in a room near the bus stop on the 1st floor, we would greatly appreciate it".

Tons of great info here. We are staying here in July and can't wait to get back. We stayed here over Christmas and loved it. POR is still slightly better in terms of decor but otherwise CSR is just as nice. We would like to stay in our same building as last time and I was wondering the same thing. Thanks op for starting this thread.

Meldev, I see that you've been to POR and CBR. We had been considering them. I think we're fairly set on going back to CSR at this point because of how well it seemed to fit our family.

But I'm wondering how you felt about your experience at POR and CBR? If you have any thoughts on the buses or the size of the resorts too, it'd be appreciated.

We really loved the quiet of CSR and how uncrowded and fast the buses were too. And that we didn't need ADR for the Maya Grill. Two easy walk-ups with immediate seating for us. And ... well ... Mexican-inspired food generally works pretty well for our family.

The room size at CSR was great too. Would've liked if they had a table/chairs rather than a desk, though. But that's about our only complaint about the room.

Thank you for the info on CSR - We hope to stay there and try out yet another moderate.

We stayed at CBR during FD this past fall - lovely resort. We were upgraded to Pirate Rooms (we had an unexpectedly late check in and nothing in any of the areas I requested was available) - the Pirate Rooms are awesomely themed! My kids loved them - so much so they didn't want to move to a different area of the resort when it opened up the next day. Anyway, the distance to the Feature pool and food court was just not convenient from there - we don't mind a bit of a walk, but it was just a little bit too much for our taste. The pools are the best!! Kids loved them - if I were to stay at CBR again I'd want to stay preferred - but it's $50/night more, worth it for one room maybe (but we have to book 2). So pools and food court at great at CBR; however, if you are in a remote area it can be a hike. Also, we didn't have much luck with the bus service - we were often the last stop on and off. Our experience with the bus service (there are 7 stops) is probably the single biggest factor as to why we're not anxious to return.

POR is beautiful - we enjoyed ourselves so much there our first visit it was difficult to get my DH to agree to try another place! In fact, I keep looking back at it as an option this time around as well, but I again want to try something new. I'd also book preferred there - it's not nearly as much more per night. However, when we stayed there in 2010 we stayed in the mansion section where the Royal Rooms are now and didn't mind our walk at all! The setting is so lovely I could walk around there all day! My only "complaint", if you will regarding POR, is the feature pool is rather shaded. Not really much of a complaint - the boat to DTD is a great feature, and the food court ranks as one of the best for sure! Lots of quiet pools and not too many bus stops - it's been nearly 5 years now, but bus service was fantastic for us that visit.

I plan to request Cabanas for our trip this fall - we typically frequent both the feature pool and the food court and it seems the best option. Though I suppose Casitas 4 and 5 wouldn't be bad either.

Last edited:
There's really nothing extra you can do. Just depends on availability.
4ce11.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter