Getting sickly sweet perfume/laundry detergent smell out of thrift store sweater?

AmyAnne

DIS Veteran
Yesterday I bought a fleece sweater at at thrift store, and when I got it home I realized it smells--like perfume, or a sweetly scented laundry detergent.

I soaked it overnight in baking soda, which helped, but did not totalyy get rid of the smell. I am about to try soaking it in vinegar.

Any other suggestions?

I would suggest the vinegar option.
I even throw vinegar in my rinse especially with towels...there is no smell afterward and the towels are so fluffy and very absorbent!.

I would suggest the vinegar option.
I even throw vinegar in my rinse especially with towels...there is no smell afterward and the towels are so fluffy and very absorbent!.

I second this! Maybe do another baking soda soak, then a vinegar rinse.

The OP is right to soak it etc. first. A regular wash won't do it.

I use fragrance free products only due to allergies. If some of the kid's friend's clothes end up in our laundry I always am surprised when folding them how I strongly I can still smell their family's laundry products.

0079922800973_500X500.jpg

Works miracles. :thumbsup2

Thanks for the suggestions. Right now it's soaking in vinegar, so we'll see.

I haven't run it through the washing machine because I don't want that smell in my other clothes. It might be fine if I washed it by itself, but I am a little paranoid about this sort of thing. I only use fragrance free detergent, and no chemical softeners or stain removers.

I am surprised I didn't notice the smell when I bought it--and I probably should just donate it (it was not at all expensive) but I feel like I should at least try to get the smell out.

You should be able to get it out eventually. I also use only the clear & free detergents and can definitely tell when I come across something washed in a strongly scented detergent. I buy lots of used clothes and it generally comes out in a wash or two.

The worst was when I bought snow boots on eBay and they were shipped with dryer sheets inside them! They could about knock you over. They had to sit in storage for a year and so younger daughter used them instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter