Getting Sick at Disney

erinm

Earning My Ears
We are leaving in 2 days for a 9 day vacation at Yacht Club. Today, my husband and oldest daughter were in the doctors office with strep. Currently, my youngest daughter and myself are healthy but wanted know if there is an urgent care or a pediatric urgent care near Disney just in case. Can anyone advise?

Thanks!

Wow! I am sorry that your family is so sick right before your trip. It usually takes a few days to feel better after you start an antibiotic. You may not feel like much touring when you first arrive. Hope everyone feels better soon. :flower3:

I got this from the Mousesavers website:
Centra Care near Crossroads Shopping Center
12500 S Apopka Vineland Rd
407-934-2273

Buena Vista Urgent Care near Caribe Royale Hotel
8216 World Center Dr, Suite D

There is...we know from experience. We stayed at CSR and we called the front desk, explained what was going on and they gave us options. One was to go to an urgent care facility...they pick up and drop for free. The other was to have a doctor come to the room but we had no idea how long it would take. Whatever you do, don't use Turner Drugs. They charged us an insane amount of money for antibiotics and even though my insurance said they would cover it, they did not. Go to CVS, even if by cab to pick it up. We were charge close to $400 for $5 script. We got back $192 of the money but the insurance company said the rest of the charge is uncustomary. Good luck. Stinks to be sick in Disney.:sad2:

We needed medical attention in 2009, and went to the Walgreens clinic just outside disney world. AKV concierge gave me the number and directions. I just got over that bug that caused strep throat, it is a really bad long lasting one. I ran a fever for over a week. Several people i know also got it, but several didnot catch it. I hope you do not also.:goodvibes I wish your family a speedy recovery.

thank goodness only needed it one time and resort was great in getting us a doctor and then to a emergency room and yes they have first aid places all over ther parks but if you have a broken foot (me) then requires more than they do. or a imbeded splinter (friend) then is also more than they can do had to have a walker and wheels for it and Turner drugs delivered it to our room and was no more than if had got it here at home once insurance paid.

Would your doctor be willing to write you a script just in case you or your other daughter come down with similar strep symptoms (since it is so contagious)? Then you could go ahead and fill them before hand to have in case you two get sick.

Hopefully nobody will need this, but the Walgreens near down town disney. ALso the Urgent care is there too. Directions: Go towards downtown disney and exit the property. Crossroad shopping center will be in front of you. Make a left at light. Then both places are on the left hand side. Also google or check on line to see if there are anymore places.
Walgreens takes insurance. Just be aware The Urgent Care place was a VERY VERY long wait:mad:. We left and went to walgreens. Quick and you can get your prescription filled:) .

Would your doctor be willing to write you a script just in case you or your other daughter come down with similar strep symptoms (since it is so contagious)? Then you could go ahead and fill them before hand to have in case you two get sick.

My husband asked about that and they both got a steriod shot instead. He said the shot would make them less contagious???? I would have liked to have perscriptions as a security blanket but no go....

Our doctor wont write out a script either if you dont actually have something at that time. We have unfortunately experienced sickness at WDW more times than I would like to remember. Thankfully we had a friend from church who is a Dr (but not our Dr--although we had seen him before) and he called in meds for our son one year. The cost was really crazy as the pharmacy had us pay full price and then we had to file ins when we got home.:scared1: They dont like to fool with the ins at the pharmacy! Hope you all dont get it and the rest of the sick ones feel better:goodvibes

Hopefully nobody will need this, but the Walgreens near down town disney. ALso the Urgent care is there too. Directions: Go towards downtown disney and exit the property. Crossroad shopping center will be in front of you. Make a left at light. Then both places are on the left hand side. Also google or check on line to see if there are anymore places.
Walgreens takes insurance. Just be aware The Urgent Care place was a VERY VERY long wait:mad:. We left and went to walgreens. Quick and you can get your prescription filled:) .

Had to use this Urgent Care in March; very bad infection in my finger. If you think you'll need them, CALL first and make an appointment. My wait was still a little over an hour past my appointment but I'd wasted the time earlier in the day making the trip to the Urgent Care without one. We stayed at AK Kidani Village; the Urgent Care sent a car over for me about 30 minutes before scheduled appointment time (and returned me to the Villas after I was finished.) The drivers were very, very nice and my family was able to go to the Parks instead of driving me over and waiting. They filled my prescription at the Clinic. My total cost for the visit (co-pay and prescription) was only $55.00. I'd checked with my insurance company before my appointment and they were on "the list". I was upset, missing my last night at the parks, but the care was wonderful. Just take a book to read while you're waiting! :rotfl:

WaltDisneyWorld2012813.jpg
:tink:

My husband asked about that and they both got a steriod shot instead. He said the shot would make them less contagious???? I would have liked to have perscriptions as a security blanket but no go....

i would not want a dokter to write something just because u might need it that is why antibiotics are working less every year

I was diagnosed with strep two days before one of our trips, I couldn't get a just in case script for anyone else in the family but was told to just call if anyone got sick with the same symtpoms and they would call in a script. Might be an option for you?

Emily

This actually happend to us a couple of trips ago....and that is exactly what I did thankful the rest of us never got sick and the antibotics had kicked in so the two sick one felt find and we had a awesome trip sending you some magic:wizard:

I was diagnosed with strep two days before one of our trips, I couldn't get a just in case script for anyone else in the family but was told to just call if anyone got sick with the same symtpoms and they would call in a script. Might be an option for you?

Emily

This is what I would do. And obviously bring along any over the counter meds you think you might need. They're expensive in the gift shops!

Hope you have a great time!

We've used the Urgent Care twice & had good experiences both times. Wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

Hope you don't need it. :)

Hope everyone stays healthy for your trip. My 16 year old son ended up with
a high fever and both ears infected 3 years ago. We went to Celebration Emergency Room. Standard insurance deductible and Walgreens filled his 2 scripts for his usual co-pay. I would go there again if needed.

We are leaving in 2 days for a 9 day vacation at Yacht Club. Today, my husband and oldest daughter were in the doctors office with strep. Currently, my youngest daughter and myself are healthy but wanted know if there is an urgent care or a pediatric urgent care near Disney just in case. Can anyone advise?

Thanks!

This happened to us last year. My youngest two had strep the day before we left. I explaineed to doctor who put the rest of us on a "preventative antibiotic" just in case. I normally would say no- because I am not a big fan of antibiotics......But in this case we took it. Didnt want to get sick at Disney with no doctor, no idea where to find one, or laying in a hotel room for days after paying thousands for the trip. Some may disagree, but this was a one time thing.

That sucks, we just delayed our trip for a week because my son and husband were sick... :( luckily we are fl residents and the change was only a $30 difference

That would be your best bet. DS and I were in the same situation a couple of years back. DH came down with strep about a week before we were to leave. I called our docs, told them the situation and got us each a prescription just in case and had them both filled to take with us. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter