Getting ready to start.. need some encouragement

coltconn

Earning My Ears
Hi everbody!

I am getting ready to start the college program in 1 weeks & 6 days! I'll be doing custodial (was hoping for retail, but am thankful for anything) and I'm pretty excited! The only thing that I am nervous about is my roommates. This is my first time living away from home & I have never had a roommate before. For those of you who have done he program before, what would you say is the general attitude of the people who participate in the program? My roommates are honestly the only thing I am fairly nervous about & I'm sure that I'm nervous for nothing. Anyway, I'm really excited to be working at Disney World & I can't wait to start!

Thanks to everyone for your comments!! :goodvibes

P.S. Also, do you know which housing complexes usually fill up first? I'm hoping for either Patterson or Chatham, but I'm not sure if I'll get it becasue of my late arrival. Thanks! :)

In the week that I've been here, pretty much everyone I've met has been lovely and nice. There are always exceptions, but overall I think people want to make their living situations as painless as possible. Thus far I really like my apartment-mates (I already knew my roommate because we went to school together for many years), but even if your roommates don't become your best friends there are ways to have privacy. I'm in a 3 bedroom apartment in Patterson so there are 6 of us, but due to everyone's various schedules there are rarely more than three people in our apartment at a time. Also, each of our bedrooms has its own bathroom, so you're really only sharing with one other person which makes it easier to manage.

In terms of housing complexes, they don't begin the season empty and then slowly fill the units, so your late arrival won't count against you at all. People seem to be constantly moving out (from the Spring Advantage of Summer Alumni programs) or checking in, so how many apartments are available in each complex really depends on what has been recently vacated. If you really want a specific complex, it's a good idea to get up early and wait in line. I am not a morning person (at all) so I wasn't wanting to be too crazy, but my roommate and I got in line a little before 7 and we were fine. We were fairly flexible between Chatham and Patterson. There weren't many available units in Chatham (which a lot of people seem to want), but I was so happy to be in Patterson as soon as I saw my apartment. I highly recommend it. :goodvibes

Good luck with your arrival and have an amazing program!!

You will be amazed at how nice and friendly everyone is there. You seriously have nothing to be nervous about.

Be open-minded and understand that everyone comes from a different background. Sit down one of the first nights and have a roommate discussion so you have a better understanding of how each other lives. With your direct roommate, you'll want to discuss if they are a morning or night person, etc. Most likely throughout the program with everybody's different schedules, it will be rare that all the roommates are home at the same time.

Be open-minded and understand that everyone comes from a different background. Sit down one of the first nights and have a roommate discussion so you have a better understanding of how each other lives. With your direct roommate, you'll want to discuss if they are a morning or night person, etc. Most likely throughout the program with everybody's different schedules, it will be rare that all the roommates are home at the same time.

COMMUNICATION IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT. We recently had a roommate move out due to lack of communication. To make a long story short: We had a roommate who INSISTED on cleaning up after us. Even though we told her that we would get to it.

ex of this: I have just made macaroni. I'm sitting down at the table and the girl would come out of her room. Sigh at my macaroni mess and then proceed to clean it while I was STILL at the table.

me: "(Roommate), I'll get to it... Let me just finish eating..."
roommate: "No, I'd feel better if I did it."

My roommates and I would all play at the parks and instead of the girl inviting herself she would pout about the fact that we didn't invite her to OPEN INVITATION 'events'.

She moved out telling us that she was miserable, couldn't take being lonely anymore...and she wasn't leaving "because we were pigs", but because we were mean and never invited her anywhere. It was something that could have been solved if she had just talked to us all as a group. Instead, she chose to let it stew and escalate. :confused3

Anyway, talk to your roommates. Don't let a problem spiral out of control. Be tactful. Complaining is usually ignored.

As for an overall attitude of the people on the program:

I have come across mixed attitudes.

The good is usually people who are genuinely excited to be given the opportunity to work for Disney. You get a (basically) free place to stay while you work for one of the most respected companies in the world and when you're done you get to PUT THEM ON YOUR RESUME. They give you free admission to the parks when there are people who save their entire lives to make the trip.

The bad is usually people who complain about how the Disney company is just using you for cheap labor and it's the worst place they've ever worked and they're ripping you off. I would even go as far to say that these people made up a quarter of my program when I first started in June '11. My roommates and I would go places and they would ask:

"Are you all roommates?"
us: "Yes."
"It's not going to last."
us: "....."

It's the second month into our program and aside from the pig incident... We're all fine. We are all on pretty good terms and when we don't have time sometimes we just make time for each other because the way we see it is we're a family. Even if it's just temporary.

Returning to the fact that some people just have bad attitudes:

We went to a welcome event and we were all sitting at a table. This boy came and sat down with us...we started talking... introduced ourselves, asked when his program ended and he says "SOON. THANK GOD."

"aww! Why? You didn't enjoy your program?"
him: "NO. DISNEY RIPS YOU OFF. THEY'RE STEALING FROM CP'S!"
us: "What? How?!"
him: " *cryptically* You'll find out as your program progresses......"
us: "...So what are you going to do afterwards?"
him: "Work for Disney."

*FACEPALM*

hahaa that's quite funny!

I'm from the UK so I've done two summer programs - these are only 3 months long and so you don't have much time to change apartments and all that stuff, you kinda have to like it or just get on with it! Well, that's the way I saw it anyway - you have to wait at least 3 weeks before you can put in to transfer apartment and then pay a $50 fee. I just couldn't be bothered with all that so put up with my annoying housemates on my first program!

They were nice people - they didn't do anything criminal or party all night... but they didn't like air conditioning. So it turned into an air conditioning WAR! They were all from barbados and were used to hot weather - me, coming from England where the height of our summer is currently about 21C (70F) was very much not used to 100F every day! So they'd turn off the A/C and claim they were too cold and getting 'sick' from it whilst I'd die of heat and sweat INSIDE the apartment. Ugh.

However, my second program which was last year - I had great roomates! They changed a lot - there were girls from different programs so people were always coming and going - I had a 3 bedroom apartment so over the three months there was me, two other british girls, a new zealander, 3 americans, a south american at least if I haven't forgotten anyone! But we just kept the place reasonably tidy, didn't eat each others food and were friendly to each other and it was fine :)

So yeah, basically as others have said - communication is the key! And fear not, if you hate your apartment you can move!

I started this week, and so far it's been amazing. Before I left I was really nervous, and didn't want to do it. But I of course couldn't just back out of it at the last minute. Then, the night I got here my boyfriend of 3 years broke up with me, and told me he has a new girlfriend :furious: :sad1:

So needless to say, I've been a wreck since I got here, but man, I have never been supported by so many people before. Most of them don't even know what happened, but they saw me that first day and were just there for me. I mean, a girl who has been crying the whole night is pretty easily recognized the next day, combined with the stress of moving in, people were there for me, who I had never met before. Some guy passed by me, just gave me a grip on the shoulder, and walked away. People are just so supportive here, it's insane to me.

And people complain about security and price management and the bus drivers, but they have been nothing but awesome to me. Again, maybe they just didn't want me to cry, but they went above and beyond to help me, and they always offer a smile.

So seriously, take a deep breath, and just have fun! It really is amazing here, and I know that people will love it, as long as they come in with the right mind for it. Remember, you're here to work, but know that it is so much fun! And don't miss the welcome party! We were all dancing and having fun, and barely realized it was raining!

Also, have you met your roommates online yet? We did that, and we are a great match. I seriously couldn't ask for better roommates. And I've had roommates before, and they were all terrible from my perspective. But it really worked out for me, and it seems like a lot of other people too.

Good luck!
I just want to give a few pointers. Being honest but respectful with your roommates is the BIGGEST piece of advise that I can give. You dont have to be best friends with them, but working with them not against them is the best bet. Over my 9 months in the program we had over 16 roommates. Now keep in mind some of them self termed...some moved to PI's and some didnt extend. But thats ALOT of people to get to know. And all but 2 of them I still have contact with on a weekly basis. My roommates are still some of the best friend's that I have!

HAVE FUN! Take advantage of all the perks of the job..the discounts.. the free glass of ice waters in the park..Keep in mind that on a budget bring your own lunch to the parks!!! It will save you TONS of money. Eating at Disney is NOT cheap!!!

The cast discounted tickets are around 35-40 bucks for the Mickey
s Not so Scary and Mickeys very merry chirstmas parties! Save your money and go to them!!! They are amazing, and well worth the money it takes to get into the park. We dressed up every time we went to them. If you have the ablility to work in MK for the parties, pick up a shift! They are soo much fun, and there arnt alot of people there, so you get to enjoy the parks also!

Go walk around the resorts! They are pretty awesome by themselves. My boytoy and I used to ride Disney busses and just go have dinner at the resorts! Its great to walk around the boardwalk resorts around the time of illuminations. :D So romantic!

Take advantage of the Cast Previews and the CP parties. Those are FANTASTIC!!!!!!! You end up meeting TONS of people. Gosh there are so many ways to have fun cheap during the program.

I did make a MAJOR mistake! I called in pretty much once a month. Which ended up hurting me in the long run. DONT DONT DONT call in if you are even thinking of going seasonal! They will not let you go seasonal in certain areas if you have more than 5 call-ins. :( If you are planning on visiting the area at least 4-5 months after your program it benefits you to stay seasonal!

I hope you have a fantastic time and wish you the best of luck!!!! Remember that not every day is going to be magical. Make the best of the situtation and have fun!!!!:D

Don't be worried! I am so jealous you are about to start your program because I want nothing but to go back haha.
I extended so had two different roommate experiences, and both of them were fine. The first time one of them was kind of crazy but it didn't affect me really, and the others were nice. Ok so I was only really friends with two, and then the other two one I didn't see much and the other was kind of annoying (and she didn't like the program). The second time I barely ever (EVER) saw the other two. Thermostat wars happened both times though, it never bothered me I was just amused but that's how I am haha. Once one roommate turned it up to 80. and it was not even winter!
I was really nervous about my roommates too because my only other time with a roommate was horrible. but I think most people down there are going to be nicer than an average college (freshman) roommate. if you ask me... but I'm biased :P
Now, my advice LIVE IT UP! Do everything you can, even if you go by yourself, talk to everyone, go out all the time. I had tons of fun but I'm a bit sad I didn't do more.

Thank you all soooo much!! You really helped me out more than you can imagine! I really appreciate it a lot! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter