Getting over fear of Tower of Terror

One more thing, Kakikomori, do try RNR!! I had never gone on it until our Feb trip this year. I can't believe I missed out on it!!! I get motion sick on rides so I avoid EE and Space Mtn. I rode RNR and LOVED it! The ride is totally smooth, and it's so fast that it's over before you can get scared/sick.

Tara-
I am the same way! I grip the handles so tight I think my fingers are going to be stuck one of these times. Once I was squeezing "the handle" and it turned out to be a older gentleman's pinky finger! :laughing:

OP-
The first time I rode-I was told to get a coin or something small. Keep it on my knee and focus on it. The forces of the ride make the coin look like its floating. It doesn't go up and down like people do. It was kinda cool watching that and not worrying about "dying"...:rotfl2:

It's one of my favorite rides now!
Good luck

This . The penny floats, and you are distracted. It worked for my 6 year old and he loves the ride now. TBH though, everytime, I get on the ride, the darkness makes me hesitate, but I once the drops start I LOVE it.

I rode one of those free fall rides at Six Flags 20+ years ago. It absolutely scared me to death, so I was always afraid to do TOT. I finally broke down and decided I wanted to try it. Honestly, it's really not that bad. It doesn't feel like a free fall like it did at Six Flags.

I wasn't sure whether to tell OP that you are actually pulled down. I thought it might make them even more afraid to try it. But others mentioned it so....

I saw a program about the way the attraction works. The motors/engines pull you down faster than the speed of gravity. They are also more powerful than the motors that ran the world trade center elevators. So, they have to be pretty well designed and maintained to do this kind of ride.

I know everyone's fears are different but I have to say this is an incredible attraction. My favorite disney attraction - even jockeying for position with my childhood favorite, Pirates at DL. Btw, ToT at WDW is imho, much better than at DL so - go while you can!

Just curious about the motivation for wanting to overcome fear of a ride that is a super short experience overall and just a ride?? // Is it to enjoy the experience with the family? Letting a child experience the ride (something they don't want to do on their own and don't have anyone else to do it with? A personal goal or feat of no longer being afraid of something you were afraid of before? // I just don't think skipping a ride you don't care for is any big deal.

DH has I know never liked the free fall feeling and skips drop rides and roller coasters with the big drops. He knows he doesn't care for this feeling and just skips these rides. Now me, I've always enjoyed that free fall feeling.

For DS I initially was pushing a little bit for him to try things he was intially scared of (thought he might be embarrassed with other kids etc.) // All in all I didn't give him enough credit. If he was interested in something he did it in his own time. And I love hearing him say to other teens with a great level of maturity, I'll just wait for you here that ride just isn't my thing -- no embarrassment - no big deal. He does, though, FYI like the Tower of Terror, but there are other rides he skips.

Just curious about the motivation for wanting to overcome fear of a ride that is a super short experience overall and just a ride?? // Is it to enjoy the experience with the family? Letting a child experience the ride (something they don't want to do on their own and don't have anyone else to do it with? A personal goal or feat of no longer being afraid of something you were afraid of before? // I just don't think skipping a ride you don't care for is any big deal.

DH has I know never liked the free fall feeling and skips drop rides and roller coasters with the big drops. He knows he doesn't care for this feeling and just skips these rides. Now me, I've always enjoyed that free fall feeling.

For DS I initially was pushing a little bit for him to try things he was intially scared of (thought he might be embarrassed with other kids etc.) // All in all I didn't give him enough credit. If he was interested in something he did it in his own time. And I love hearing him say to other teens with a great level of maturity, I'll just wait for you here that ride just isn't my thing -- no embarrassment - no big deal. He does, though, FYI like the Tower of Terror, but there are other rides he skips.

I understand what you are saying. The OP stated she wanted to experience the show part of the attraction (ToT has AMAZING theming) she also stated she was afraid of the falling part. She could choose to see the pre-show and skip getting on the elevator but she then misses the corridor scene, moving through the Twilight Zone room and she stated she does want to see the park from up above (not afraid of heights). So she's in a dilemma. She either does the pre-show and misses out on the other parts of the attraction she wants to see, or she finds a way to overcome the fear - which is why she's asking for support.

Some rides it's all or nothing. Like if someone hates roller coasters, they aren't going to want to go on any. But with an attraction like ToT there are several parts/elements that make up the whole and OP sounds like she really wants to experience the sum total of all the parts but has to deal with the falling part.

If it was like the Maliboomer at DCA (gone now, sadly) or another free fall type ride like Dr. Doom's Freefall at Universal, that has no other elements to it, OP most likely wouldn't be bothered. But she realizes she's missing the rest of the attraction at ToT.

Personally, I don't agree that ToT is a short overall experience. I LOVE everything about this attraction at WDW. The first time I rode it I got off with the hugest smile from ear to ear and went back over and over (probably 6 - 7 times in a row) until my Dad who was waiting (and technically wasn't supposed to go on rides like that) decided he had to go too. We actually tried to talk him out of it. He rode it once, thought it was okay but had no desire to go again.

(Can you tell I really, really enjoy this attraction? :) )

The first time I rode-I was told to get a coin or something small. Keep it on my knee and focus on it. The forces of the ride make the coin look like its floating. It doesn't go up and down like people do. It was kinda cool watching that and not worrying about "dying"...:rotfl2:

What?! This sounds so cool... Definitely gonna have to try it!

I've notice that at 6 Flags they have the freefall ride and I HATE HATE HATE it... but I LOVE LOVE LOVE ToT. I wonder what the difference is, part of me thinks it's the atmosphere and the theming of the ride

:eek: See out of all the rides at WDW, the HM is my least favorite. DH likes ToT with me and I love rollercoasters--which he can take once each trip--only becasue he loves me and I do ride HM EVERY TIME he wants to--just with my eyes closed through the whole thing.

I have been on the Keys to the Kingdom Tour so I know how HM works and what to look for since we did that ride--it doesn't help though when I get to the atttic. I have seen the Bride part, which I loathe, once, and that was enough. I am the chick with her eyes closed sitting in the doom buggy--DH loves it and doesn't care that I don't have my eyes open.

So I just keep my eyes closed and listen to the sounds around me and that is scary enough.

On, ToT I think I concentrate on those around me looking right and left to see their reactions--totally worth it.

I have been on the free fall at Six FLags and ToT isn't like that. While you do leave your seat for a moment. The thought that I am on a bench type seat with other people, sounded by metal takes away some of that free fall terror. It is just funny to have that feeling of weightlessness. At 222#, that ain't often :laughing: So you are encased somewhat on ToT but in the dark partly too--it just seems like a more controlled environment.

I can't speak for the OP, but I have some of the same wishes/fears about ToT. I REALLY want to do it, but I'm chicken. I think 2 of my kids would love it and I really want to see the theming and experience it, I'm just afraid I'll feel sick afterwards or I'll have a heart attack! :laughing:

I LOVE roller coasters, love EE, BUT, I don't like the drop on Splash. I do it, but I think repeated drops might just put me over the edge. Does it feel like the drop on Splash? I also loved RnRc, but the takeoff made me feel like I was free falling (not sure how, but it did) and when I got off my legs were wobbling and I was a little shaky. I just can't decide if the "pull down" motion will feel different than the drop on Splash. Even the drop on EE doesn't bother me much b/c you are turning to the side a little as you go down, so it doesn't feel as much like a free fall. :confused3

I've got a month and 17 days to decide! :goodvibes

Op here.

For me it started as wanting to get the whole experience of the ride. I didn't realize how much there was to experience on the ride itself until I saw a youtube video. I should know that Disney would make more than a simple freefall ride. :lmao: It's really that feeling in your stomach and chest that you get when you fall or drop that gets me, I suppose it's the semi-weightlessness? I have a hard time forcing myself to breathe--not that I think I've ever really come close to passing out or anything.

Secondarily, it was a challenge to overcome fears, especially on such a short period of time. I was able to ride EE and BTMR last trip, so this is next step, if that makes sense. This whole trip is a kind of celebration of independence since my previous trip was my honeymoon, and this trip is as a once again single guy. :rolleyes1

Also, there's curiosity to see if ToT can really pull my big ol' self out of the seat. That would be really impressive :rotfl:

I'm a chicken, and DS7 got me to go on ToT on our last trip. It wasn't my favorite, but I'm glad I did it. The worst part for me was waiting for the first drop, once we were "locked" in and I knew we were going to drop very soon.

I've been to HS with my family and always avoided ToT. It scared the living daylights out of me.
When I was going with my DFi, my boss told me that we had to try it, so although we were both terrified, me and DFi go on it.

I LOVED it and he HATED it. He hated it so much that he actually was too terrified to go on anything else the rest of the day. He has a fear of heights and we took the back row, he shut his eyes, but this still didn't help him.

We went back this year with my family and my best friend. He refused to go on it, I took my friend on, she was terrified, nearly broke my hand, screamed the whole time and then begged me to go back on it again!

My rules for going on it are: Never the front row, sit up straight in the seat, plant your feet firmly on the ground. I also don't hold on. I dont put my hands up in the air though

Laura

I know that this is kind of an odd request for a strategy, but there's a part of me that really wants to experience the show part of the Tower of Terror, but the screaming, heart-pounding fear of the falling part is bigger.

Anyone have any suggestions for dealing with the ride? Something like what I learned for roller coasters last time--if you plant your feet and sit back in the seat, you move with the car. With that, I actually enjoyed Expedition Everest.

I have a question for you: Have you ever rode Soarin? That is the ride that does it for me for some reason. I'm always afraid I will fall out, and there is no place to plant your feet on that ride. So if you have been on it I'm looking for tips on how you do it without being scared.

What has worked for me (world's biggest weenie when it comes to heights and drops) was kind of the reverse of the planting feet on a roller coaster...

I still have a death grip (no pun intended) on the handles, but instead of trying to hold myself down on the seat, I actually let my body go with the slight lift off the seat against the bar. Not sure why, but it seems to work. :)

I have a question for you: Have you ever rode Soarin? That is the ride that does it for me for some reason. I'm always afraid I will fall out, and there is no place to plant your feet on that ride. So if you have been on it I'm looking for tips on how you do it without being scared.

I'm kind of weird when it comes to heights. I can look down from as high as you'd like and I'm fine, but if I try to look up, I get all freaked out. On Soarin', as long as I could look down and see the floor, I was ok. I think some of the "Disney won't kill me on purpose" feeling was going, too. If I could get the belt on and secured, I wasn't going anywhere :laughing:

What has worked for me (world's biggest weenie when it comes to heights and drops) was kind of the reverse of the planting feet on a roller coaster...

I still have a death grip (no pun intended) on the handles, but instead of trying to hold myself down on the seat, I actually let my body go with the slight lift off the seat against the bar. Not sure why, but it seems to work. :)

Since there's no side to side or forward/backward forces like on a roller coaster, that makes sense.

I bit the bullet and did it on my last trip (last week) with my son, OP. This was our 7th trip and every trip I said I was going to do it and finally did! I have a slight fear of heights, rides like astro orbiter terrify me! But Rockin Rollercoaster does not scare me in the least, I love it!
We walked by ToT the 1st time in the morning and I chickened out, then later when we got off RnR, my son and I just charged up to the building to do it, there was practically no line so I think that helped too. I looked at a nice looking woman nearby and said, "This isn't that bad, is it?" and she made me feel so much better! Then I looked in front of me and there was a 4/5 yr old girl so I really had no excuse! It was fun! I would recommend what others have said and not sit in the front seats, I didn't raise my arms either. And I wish I had planted my feet on the ground but I didn't for some reason, I remember they were shaking! And I had a death grip on my son's hand! Our picture from the drop is so hilarious. His mouth is a perfect "O" and I look stunned, lol. The theming is so awesome and I am so glad I finally did it!

I will be honest and say no matter how many times I ride it, I can't get over the fear. It scares the mess out of me....everytime. I hate the ride. But with that being said. I make myself ride it because my boys love it. I want to create memories even if I am laughed at when we remember Mom riding TOT, screaming at the top of her lungs, and saying she is never gonna ride again as we are getting back in line. So I guess my advice is to try it at least once.

As I get older (60 and counting), ToT is scarier for me. I repeat my mantra "Mickey doesn't want to hurt me and give my family millions," and try to let my body figure out whether we're going up or down. If you have a lanyard or necklace on, it will float up -- that's kind of cool to watch for. Also remember that the ride is designed to scare you. It has Terror in the name for a reason. Bless those imagineers. The best drop sequences begin with a short drop right at the beginning.

HTH

I agree with this thought. Over the years I have been less interested on going on or letting my kids go on rides at Carnivals that get put up in a day. Safety is not a priority.

With Disney they have many many safety checks and interlocks to prevent any accidents. How many times have you heard that a ride is down? Usually it is because some safety interlock has tripped and they cannot run the ride until the issue has been checked out and corrected. Mickey does not want to chance hurting me.

DW rides ToT every time we go and she HATES it. She hates the feeling of falling. She screams like she is being tortured each time. But she still rides it. ToT is one of the rides that has very good theming. The CMs love to play the part of the creepy bell hop. Ride it once you'll be glad you did.

I think in life, it's important to face your fears... even if it's something silly like a theme park ride.

But think of it this way... Millions of people ride that thing a year. They check it CONSTANTLY because they know that many people are riding it... And you're not really freefalling. There's all sorts of safety features in place.

I say, just ride it once, and you'll be able to say you tried it, even if you don't like it.

I was glad to see this thread. I hear such great things about the ride and queue area but get serious anxiety just looking at the ride. I almost went on it this year but couldn't. I *hate* that stomach drop feeling. On roller coasters you can keep your eyes open and look straight down following the track and it helps, but you are in the dark on TOT. I'm not afraid of heights, it's the free-fall feeling. The Jurassic Park ride was not fun for me at all (at Universal) because the person I sat next to was much larger, so I basically flew up out of my seat as we fell.

Every other ride at Disney is fine for me (Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, Splash Mountain, Everest..). I would love to conquer the whole TOT thing, because I know my SO wants to go on it and he won't go without me...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter