• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Getting Out Of MCO FAST!

FEEBEE

Mouseketeer
Hi Everyone, This is really cool as I have been viewing the DIS daily since May but until now havnt been able to post, finally been activated this morning YEEEE! V excitable!

May seem a Daft question, but I have heeded the advise to skip 2nd baggage collect from V Flight and proceed straight to Dollar to miss the Qs, but do I need the other drivers (of which there are 3 me incl) to sign paperwork or can I take their Licences whilst they collect the Luggage and moniter the kids of which there will be 3 this time?

We are flying out Feb for 3 weeks, staying in a different Villa this time on VISTAPARK on H27 never been over this end before usually stay villas off 192 or L BuenaVista Hotels, does anyone know VISTAPARK looks nice and Posh but getting a bit scared now if Ive done the right thing.

I'm going now to work out how to do signature and smilies.
thanx
FEEBEE (AKA computer illiterate!!)

Feebee, it sounds a good idea, one of which we thought we would try in May of this year when we went, One goes for the bags the other for the car and beat the queues!!!
WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!

We ended up waiting in immigrations for two and a half hours,queing, and when we eventually got through it was like a mad dash, so we didnt accomplish anything!!!.

I think all named drivers have to be at the desk,but not 100% sure, but I know somebody will answer this for you, who are you flying with??

if its Virgin, they have there own car hire desk, to the left of all the other desks, hardly any queing to pick up the car after a long flight.

Jules

It does sound good in theory. But I think Jules is right and that the driver has to be there in person not just in license.

So far we have been lucky and it has been less than 45 mins from getting off the plane till driving out.

thanx guys

We are flying with Virgin, though dollar car hire seperate , I tend to book with Virgin Traveldtore So you get your Virgin flights and seperate car Voucher depending how you book it, it worked out cheaper this time to do it as seperate flights and car with some discounts added. I have paid £2583.00 for 7 economy flights f adults/3kids and 7 seater chrysler yoyager thingee all incl package (3 drivers etc) How does this sound to you experts!?Could I be getting a better deal elswhere? These flights are from Manch,

also because I have been doing it this way and not through VIrgin Holidays I have to go to the DOLLAR desk which I seem to get stuck at(2 tired kids and a restless husband dont help much to the tension at this point!)
Some lucky people seem to get there names called out and filter in from the sides of the Q - how do they arrange this, I dont want to seem like a moaner, and admittadly I have got through in a decent time before, but last time it was 1 hour in the car q, because our bags were almost last off.

Any tips appreciated, always looking to getting to the Magic faster!!

Hi there
I noticed from you message that you have stayed at the Grosvenor Resort. I would be extremly gratefull if you could let have your opinions about the hotel.
Thanks
Ellie

Hi Ellie,

We had 9 days in the Grosvenor and 12 at the Hilton on Marco.

My Opinion on the Grosvenor..........

My opinions are slightly clouded as I came to the conclusion this hol that I prefer Villa's - just for personal reasons really, so I will get my head around being objective in a Judith Chalmers sort of style!

Excellent location- we adore Downtown D , so this was ideal we could just wander over the road and be in the shops in 5 mins, it is quite nice not having to get the car out sometimes.It is the first time we have been so close to the site so the convenience for us was really noticable, especially coming home after late nights in the Parks.
You can also take advantage of the buses, we saw lots of people doing this but we prefer the car, again just personal choice but we like to go exploring for food (I'm still ticking off must do restaurants!)

The Foyer......... Very impressive and a lovely Disney store, as if there arent enough elswhere.

The Bar........only used this once on the first night (before we has time to go out for supplies) Good but had to go and fetch drinks like in UK, no waiter service- which seemed a bit out of place in such grand surroundings, the Bar is in the foyer.

First night we were hungry but couldnt cope with a 'proper meal' you know how it is when you have been up 12 odd hours so we used the little cafe/shop again in the foyer, cant remember what it was called, but O.K, not cheap but a good range of snacks and soft drinks we had Fruit Salads and crisps and filled rolls if I remember washed down with Bud from the Bar, again this was all in the lovely Bar/Foyer and it was just what we needed.

The rooms (I haggled for a room upgrade at no cost) we were asigned a 'car park' room but changed to a 'pool/garden' view which was much more pleasant, I did this at reception on check in. The rooms are on landings with the walkway outside the door, so no balcony and very 'motel' like, again this isnt a critisism just something I am not used to .

Room........ There are 4 of us 2 adults/2kids8+6 and we had plenty of room/beds comfy/ very clean with all of the necesaries Safe/TV/ Frdge. plenty of drawer space. Nothing posh here but on a par with my other hotel experience in orlando which was the Holiday In Int D which again was a 4 star.

Pools Great....2 of them, complimentary towels (a bit worn and raggy but did the job!) I am probably being snobby here but just comparing against others (The Raddison on Sand Key has lovely towels!)

Pool Bar did the job - cold beer, but people were openly bringing down there own supplies, no one seemed to mind as there was only 1 member of staff and it wasnt so much as a bar but help yourself to a bottle out of the box and hand over your cash. Pool area clean and Ok for quick dip, but I prefered to eat elswhere. The 'Rent an inflatable' kiosk was a bit of a rip off, I gave in to the kids and handed over a fair sum (cant remember how much) for a Gator for an hour. We later bought a giant SHAMU from Walmart for half the price!

We didnt eat in the hotel, but only as we like Golden Corall for Brekkie and exploring for dinner (tony Romas/Olive Gardenetc)

The Location is excellent and the main selling point, I think I was expecting something more which isnt a reflection on the hotel probably just me, I think If I was going to do a hotel again in Orlando i would possibly go up a peg to to a 5* just for a bit more luxury, the Hilton on Marco was very special and it has spoiled me a bit, but saying that we could only afford this by going in the slightly cheaper Grosvenor!? Decisions Decisions?!

Anyway back in a villa in Feb on VistaPark, any reports on this much appreciated.

Hope this is Ok Ellie.

Excellent Location :D

Signtalker,
If I am on a Virgin Fly-Drive should I head for the Virgin or Dollar car hire desk.Also are they on site or do we have to get a bus.

cslogg

Both desks are on site, in fact are almost opposite each other.
Not sure on which you need, I needed the Virgin desk the time we booked with Virgin Holidays, since I have done it through their Travelstore since and I have need the Dollar Desk, I'm sure someone will be able to advise you, ring virgin if needed.

What I would say is that the Virgin rep was walking the dollar Q checking that you were not in the wrong place, and I think from memory she was shouting out ' Virgin Holidays'. There are always loads of V staff about to ask so dont worry.

hope this helps

You do need each driver to sign unfortunately. However, as to the queues, perhaps it depends on the time of year (we go first two weeks of December) but have never had more than 1 person in front of us at the car hire desk! Or maybe we were just really slow getting through customs, but I don't think so:).

We have three little ones in tow and personally I feel its best not to rush as that just stresses you anyway. Getting the kids to carry something is a task in itself never mind getting them to hurry.

Chill !! you're on holiday after all.

Debbie

Thank you for all you information.
We have booked a run of the mill room through a reseravtion agency, but I have cheeily contacted the hotel and requested a Tower room. Fingers crossed. We are also heading to daytona beach for a few days so looking forward to that as well.
Thanks again
Ellie

We got out of MCO very quickly last Feb by picking up the car before the bags which I'm glad we did as our bags were literally last off (we did twilight check in at Gatwick, perhaps this was why).
We were amongst the 1st through immigration, we had to declare that we live on a farm and everyone else went through the other lane so that may have made a difference as well.
We all went to get the car and there was no one at the dollar desk then back up to get the cases when we came down again the queue at dollar was enormous, and were in the pool at vistana within 1h 20 mins of landing.
I hope it works this Feb.

In June this year, I did the mad dash for the Dollar desk thing. The rest of the group went to collect the luggage.

DW who was a named driver did not have to sign at the desk. I did ask them if she needed to but was told "no it wasn't necessary".

By the time I had finished the paperwork and went back up to baggage claim B the bags were only just coming through.

We were out of MCO in approximately 40 minutes from landing.

Is this a record?

We actually had a Virgin Hols FlyDrive but the car was only paid for a week (minimum allowed). I booked the proper car hire seperately and the Virgin Reps got a bit irate when I kept ignoring their desk and booth in the car park and using the proper Dollar ones.

"but I have heeded the advise to skip 2nd baggage collect from V Flight and proceed straight to Dollar to miss the Qs"

Viewed the above with interest - but I cant find any reference to this "advice" when searching. Was there a particular thread/post on the subject?

We fly from Glasgow via Chicago in over 3 weeks - and would love to avoid the bagagge 'three-step dance' at MCO !!

Can anyone point me to the original post please?

Thanks

Brian

You cant avoid it completely if you have more than hand baggage.

What they are referring to is sending the driver to queue at the Dollar desk and get the car while the other/rest of the group wait for the bags to come through on the 2nd drop.

Sorry, cant find the thread though.

:cool:

But then, if you're coming from Glasgow via Chicago, you have less problems than most people because you've already cleared customs in Chicago.

So it's straight off the plane, no 1st baggage reclaim needed, on to the train to the main terminal, then pick up bags there, down to car rental desk (should be clear as most of your fellow passengers will be people travelling from Chicago who may not need hire cars if they are locals) and straight out.

One of the few benefits of not flying direct (that and price). You CAN be out of MCO in under 30 minutes from the plane landing, as we were two years ago flying United via Washington. This year it's Delta via Atlanta; let's see if we can beat that record!

tHANX FOR ALL OF THE ABOVE, FOLLOWING YOUR ADVICE, I THINK WE WILL BYPASS 2ND BAGGAGE RECLAIM GO STRAight to dollar get car in double quick time hope! and go back up for the bags.

I wonder if anyone knows anything abaout the people who seem to loiter at the left hand side of the dollar desk and have their names called, they have there own dedicated checker inner!
would a call to Dollar find the answer does anyone know contact no's?

thanx again for your help. I think alot relies on your check in, in the UK and how fast you get your bags initially though, we did twighlight check in last time so I thinkthat holds you back a bit in MCO

Originally posted by FEEBEE
I wonder if anyone knows anything abaout the people who seem to loiter at the left hand side of the dollar desk and have their names called, they have there own dedicated checker inner!
would a call to Dollar find the answer does anyone know contact no's?

FEEBEE - I think this might relate to "frequent virgins" as I recall being pulled out of the queue a couple of years ago when I just did a flydrive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter