• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Getting on board - Vancouver to Alaska on Wonder

firen'ice

I am Canadian, eh!
I have a check-in time of 11:30 and I'm wondering how long it takes from that time to the time we get on the ship? What is the process From arriving to on board?

I have a check-in time of 11:30 and I'm wondering how long it takes from that time to the time we get on the ship? What is the process From arriving to on board?

The process was go through security first that's joint with other cruises in the pier then go through joint immigration this us USA immigration and can take time, then split to DCL side and normal booths to check in get your cards etc, it's a small walk from there on the ship.

So compared to PC there is an extra process of USA Immigration. Overall I felt it was a bit quicker than PC we might have been lucky, arrive to allow time to get through the winding security lane which is joint with other cruise lines.

So is my check in time for the booths? Should I allow time before the allotted 11:30 time slot to get through customs?

So is my check in time for the booths? Should I allow time before the allotted 11:30 time slot to get through customs?

I was concierge so didn't need a PAT, I would say allow time for security and Aldo immigration I think myself PAT there is more arrival at DCL check in and so if your PAT is 11.30 arrive about 30 mins earlier, the line to security can be very long, like a WDW ride back and forth, the issue is it's not just one cruise ship.

We did a cruise out of the Vancouver in May. The lines were brutally long!
We arrived at the port at about 11:30, it took over an HOUR to get through security. Then another 30 minutes to get through Immigration.
Miami and LA ports were WAY faster.

Thanks so much for your post. We also have an 11.30 PAT in Vancouver and I didn't even think of arriving before that. 90mins security & immig sounds looooonnng ugh!

Thanks for the heads up!

Personally, I don't think the Port arrival times mean too much in Vancouver. Nobody ever asked for ours. When we arrived to the terminal, they were letting everybody in. We didn't start boarding the ship until about 12:30 PM.

I think it really depends on how many cruises are setting sail that day. We cruised on the June 2nd sailing and had a PAT of 11:30. We arrived a little after 11 and got through security and customs in less than a half hour. Check in with Disney took less than 10 minutes. We were sitting in the waiting area by 11:45.

I will tell you that the waiting area was not very comfortable. There were only folding chairs and not many...they were all full when we got there. We actually sat on the floor.

Anyway, they started boarding at about 12:15. We were group 6 and were on before 12:30.

Just back - we were on the June 9 Wonder out of Vancouver.

We had a 12:00 PAT. We arrived around 11:15 or so, and it was 1:30-ish when we finally got on the ship. We were in group 9. The lines were long, but they moved continuously.

Also - I agree no one was checking PAT times in Vancouver, and the few folding chairs offered in the waiting area were not comfortable and too few to be "adequate". All true.

We were on the June 9th sailing and it took us over an hour to get through security, customs and DCL check in. We were boarding group 3 and they were already on a much later group (maybe 9??) so we just walked on and passed the waiting area.

Let me also say that on disembarkation, there are free luggage carts right before you go into the terminal to collect your luggage. Grab them! Did I mention they are FREE!! We had so much stuff that I asked one of the DCL people to get me another one. There are no porters to help with luggage so you are on your own.

Thanks for the heads up about all this.

Our check in time isn't until 3pm, but our flight arrives around 12:30pm. After reading all this, we'll just make our way over to there and get right in line, as opposed to waiting until closer to 3.

Our check in time isn't until 3pm, but our flight arrives around 12:30pm. After reading all this, we'll just make our way over to there and get right in line, as opposed to waiting until closer to 3.

Just go straight there I found Canadian immigration good at the airport btw

By the time you land, go through immigration, get your luggage and get transportation to Canada Place, it will probably be close to 3:00 anyway.

It also depends on the number of cruise ships in that day. You can google Port of Metro Vancouver and then click on "cruise schedule" to check your day. I was on the 11:30AM and the Wonder was the only ship in that day. To go through port security and then customs took less than an hour.

They may also direct you to register your children and get wrist bands for the Oceaneer's Club and Lab while still at the terminal. You don't' have to do it at the terminal. They have registration tables inside the ship throughout the length of the cruise. So it's another way to avoid the long lines and get on board right away.

FYI, you drive right up to the terminal in the underground garage at Canada Place and the porters will take your luggage right from your car (or walk up) You don't see them again until they are in your stateroom. So you go through security and customs without your luggage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter