Getting nervous about the service

Deniseibase

Only Adult Fan of Small World
I'm probably just being silly, I know, reassure me please! :) But all these posts lately of Disney cutbacks and poor service have me worried about our upcoming vacation. This is our first real vacation since our honeymoon and a huge part of the reason I chose Disney was because I wanted to be SURE we we get good service, after all, that's one thing Disney is famous for, amazingly good service! DH has never been to Disney World before, isn't exactly thrilled to be going this time (he's referred to this as the 'humor the wife' vacation) and I know if we have a bad experience he'll never want to go back again.

We're going 9/26 to 10/03, just us and DD age 2. We're staying at the Polynesian for three days (regular room, our only request was non-smoking due to DH's asthma), then going on the 4 day Disney Wonder trip. We're trying to go without a lot of expectations, we just want to relax and have a good time. We're not fussy people, we don't usually complain about things. Other than the non-smoking room, we don't have any special requests or anything we expect other than things to NOT go wrong! :)

Please tell me these stories of bad experiences are few and far between and Disney World is still mostly magical!! Please tell me my dream vacation is going to be a dream and not a nightmare!!

Denise

we had a wonderful trip the first week of july. all the CMs we encountered were great!! we had a split stay between wilderness lodge and old key west, went to the HDD, dined in some great restaurants and everything was fabulous! relax this is gonna be the first of many trips to wdw for you and your family. have a wonderful time!:wave:

I guess my reply to your request is this, if you want to find something to complain about, you will. If you have the thought that you are going to have a good time and enjoy yourself, you will. Things happen, both good and bad. Those that want to see the bad will, those that want to see the good will. Please go and enjoy yourselves. Your DH will have a good time if his DW and DD are having a good time. To me, I enjoy the trip more when I see smiles on my DW and children's faces. Relax and ejoy (IMHO). We love the Polynesian, we love the Wonder. We've seen good and bad and believe me, the good times far exceed the bad. We've been doing it for 25 years and hope for at least another 25. By the way, make sure to do the sureal on the Wonder. Your DH will be booking the next trip before you leave the ship.

To be honest, I'm in the same boat. My concerns are not only based on the posts for the resort but observations of the general trends within the corporation itself. The instability in upper management is always reflected throughout the rest of the company. Disney is under a bit of pressure right now due to poor decisions they've made over the past few years with media and public relations. There is some bad blood in the upper management at the highest levels. Cuts are being made which impact employees at the lowest tiers of the company, particularly the parks and resorts.

Disney did make an effort (from what I've seen here) to make good on shutting down CBR, and that is reassuring. However I've read the posts from the two sisters who had the horrble experience at GF Concierge, and it isn't the only one I've seen. You can believe for every good/bad post there are 10 more that you never hear of or were resolved in some way.

That being said, the entire tourist industry is in some bad straights right now. Everyone's getting hit. I think you'll have to decide if you feel more comfortable with what you see from Disney or with an unknown element elsewhere. Of all the choices out there, Disney still has the best track record.

Really, from what I see of the people who post here, one snobby CM ain't gonna make or break their trip. It's a pain, but you can get around it knowing at least you aren't a miserable as the person who feels compelled to be rude to a resort guest. They obviously have other issues that may never be resolved.

I think you'll be fine, but it always pays to observe and know what's happening behind the scenes. Then when you go you'll be prepared and have the critical knowledge of what 's going on, who to contact and who to get in touch with to resove it.

Good luck! Either way have an excellent vacation.

We have been down to WDW 3 times this year with a 4th trip planned for Dec. We had a great time all three times. We have stayed at the WL-courtyard, YC-concierge, Polynesian-lagoon, AKL-savannah and Polynesian-concierge. We had no problem with any of the CM's and I'd say most wanted to make sure we had a magical time. We miss early entry but sleeping in is nice also.

Denise,
Would you be suprised for me to tell you that the service problems we experienced at the GF concierge didnt ruin our vacation? The vacation is what you make of it and the attitude you choose to have about whatever you encounter. I posted in so much detail so that others could determine how important those issues might be to them. Of course we were frustrated and outraged by some of the comments, but that was one part of the trip. I also want to tell you that this was my 4th trip to Disney in 12 months, and the others have been all wonderful. I have a premium annual pass. However, when other people post on there that if you are looking for something to complain about you will find it - they are right BUT let me assure you that we are very easy going and easy to please people. The only thing my mother asked for on this trip was a bathrobe. The only things we wanted was food replenished, accurate housekeeping, some help with lost and found, and an a/c that actually cooled the room. I dont think that is nitpicking. Again, you're on vacation and there to have fun and relax, so the way you handle things will matter.

I have to say I feel very good about staying at a value resort now. First, that was my best Disney stay period. Second, you don't expect as much, and when they go above and beyond you feel even better. :)
When you pay a lot, you expect a lot. And when you don't get it, you (rightfully so) are deeply disappointed.
I think we can say many issues that have been brought up lately that would be unsettling to most travelers. (Stolen camera in back stage hands topping the list.)
Disney vacations aren't something most of us do often or on a lark. We save, do without in other areas, and plan more for Disney than we do for our retirement!
And it's not just the hotels, we all spend a lot at WDW overall. So the hefty price tag just doesn't include the hotel.
I would at least feel better if Disney followed through with issues as we have read. But we don't hear many success stories on that either.

My husband and I were just talking about bad vs. good Disney experiences this morning. Here's the thing: since our honeymoon in 1994 we've been to Disney every single year at least once, many times twice, and one year three times. Out of all of those experiences we can count three times when we had "bad service" and these were incidents not having to do with resorts. Once with a priority seating reservation, once with a CM in the parks, once with a security person at the monorail.

All in all, that's pretty darn good when you consider you encounter a cast member at least once every 5 minutes when you're there. We've had many many more magical experiences versus the negative. I've been thinking about it lately and our expectations are so very high for our Disney trips that the slightest thing can seem so horrible when it's really not. Yet, that's Disney's main draw...the service. They have 56,000 cast members so it's difficult to be sure all of those people are in the "Disney mode" all the time.

I say go into it with a positive attitude and you won't be disappointed.

PamNC

Thanks guys - it is especially reassuring to hear from those of you who have been multiple times that bad experiences are few and far between. I'm really looking forward to this trip, and it's not so much that I expect everything to be PERFECT as much as I hope things don't go horribly wrong! :)

Then again, if things go PERFECT maybe DH will let me book the Disney Magic 7 day Eastern trip for next year, LOL!!! :)

Deniseibase...I also, have been going to WDW for 30 years....The past 5 years have seen frequent, (yearly, or more), trips. I really have NO issues of bad service that stick with me. Oh sure, you encounter a lousy waitperson now and then, but for the most part service, for us, has always been excellent. Of course, we have never stayed concierge, (and have no desire to). Concierge guests, IMO, have many, many more opportunities to notice service that is not up to their expectations. When paying LOTS of extra dollars for relatively few, (REAL), additional services, you may tend to be more demanding. I think, though, us regular folks who don't "expect" people to wait on us hand and foot do just fine.

After reading this thread and others, I don't see that anyone was expecting anyone to wait on them "hand and foot ".
They were only expecting the services they were suppose to have without asking.:confused:

I have never had a problem at the Polynesian.

There are buildings that are strictly non-smoking. Try checking Tikiman's page http://tikiman2001.homestead.com/ He even has pictures of the views from all the buildings.

Denise,

This will be my 28th visit to WDW since it opened in 1971. Yes, I've had some unpleasant experiences, but they have been made up for. I am a single woman, who for the past 7 trips to WDW - have gone solo. Normally, I try to go on vacation w/ someone else because I don't feel safe. Not so with Disney trips. Other than that 1 "experience" with the wandering midnight old guy, I deel as safe at Disney as I do at home.

But its not just feeling safe. It's feeling as if you are in a magical place. As adults, we're supposed to have "outgrown" our beliefs in magic. NOT ME, especially when it comes to Disney! They help me in regaining that wonder, that awe of all things magical. The CM's, for the most part, are wonderful, talented people; who, I'm sure, don't get enough praise that they so richly deserve! And for a single woman alone on a trip, they are easy to strike up conversations with.

I am a little nervous bout this trip at Christmas. I'll be there for 16 days (hopefully I'll be able to do it all this time). I've signed up for the Grand Plan at the Concierge level at the GF - now that may sound redundant, but I truly want and expect to be treated royally - I am, after all, paying almost 10 grand for the service. So we'll see.

I don't discount anyone's bad experiences w/ GF. Things happen. But I sincerely believe that eventually they will be taken care of to the person's satisfaction! After all, it IS a magical place, and from my own personal experience, the GF staff are expert at making little miracles and giving wonderful, grand, magical surprises! You'll have a GREAT time but keep us informed, ok?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter