• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Getting my 5 week old to take a bottle??

Ar1el

DIS Veteran
Does anyone out there have any tricks to help me get my 5 week old to take a bottle? I do BF her and I am stay at home mom but I would still like to give her the occasional pumped milk. I have tried the advent, platex, and tommee tippee with no luck. I can not even get her to take a pacifier but I guess that is not a horrible thing. My brother and his family are coming her Christmas and I would much rather be able to give her a bottle a few times a day then, then excuse myself all the time to BF her. Also my DD7 keeps asking to feed her but can't do that when she will not take a bottle!! TIA

I found luck with the Nuk bottle. It's the only one my now 4 month old would latch on to. He also takes the Nuk pacifier, but didn't at the time. The shape is flatter than the Avent and the Playtex, and more like "mom", or at least the way he latches on.

My oldest 2 took the Avent without a problem, but he's picky!

I found luck with the Nuk bottle. It's the only one my now 4 month old would latch on to. He also takes the Nuk pacifier, but didn't at the time. The shape is flatter than the Avent and the Playtex, and more like "mom", or at least the way he latches on.

My oldest 2 took the Avent without a problem, but he's picky!

Thanks, I will try the Nuk bottle. My older two took the Advent bottle without a problem as well!

Try having someone else give her the bottle...with you on another floor of the house...or even not at home.

Many time BF infants want the real thing from the tap so to speak and will refuse a bottle from mom. We had to do this w/ dd. I was never able to give her a bottle, only dh and I had to be either upstairs or out of the house for him to do so!

Try having someone else give her the bottle...with you on another floor of the house...or even not at home.

Many time BF infants want the real thing from the tap so to speak and will refuse a bottle from mom. We had to do this w/ dd. I was never able to give her a bottle, only dh and I had to be either upstairs or out of the house for him to do so!

I did have my DH try to give her a bottle but I was sitting right there. I will see how she does if I am out of the room. Thanks!

Another vote for having someone else giving her the bottle while you are not in the room.

Neither of my 2 sons would ever take a bottle from me, or as DH put it if they could "smell" me.

Some breast fed babies won't take a bottle no matter what you try. My daughter would scream herself blue rather than take a bottle until she was 6 months old and saw me giving a bottle to a baby I was babysitting for. She grabbed it out of my hands and stuck it in her mouth and didn't stop until she was 3 years old (my fault I am a push over!) Both of my grandchildren now 3 and 4 went straight from the breast to using a straw in a cup. I know it doesn't help you but it may keep it in perspective!

Some breast fed babies won't take a bottle no matter what you try. My daughter would scream herself blue rather than take a bottle until she was 6 months old and saw me giving a bottle to a baby I was babysitting for. She grabbed it out of my hands and stuck it in her mouth and didn't stop until she was 3 years old (my fault I am a push over!) Both of my grandchildren now 3 and 4 went straight from the breast to using a straw in a cup. I know it doesn't help you but it may keep it in perspective!

Yeah, not really what I was hoping to hear but I do get what you are saying. If my DD happens to go that way so be it. I guess my biggest thing right now is having my brother and his family here for Christmas. I am fine BF out in public but for some reason BF in front of my brother poses a problem for me!

I suspect that my dd would have been one of the babies to totally refuse, but she started at day care at 3mo and didn't have much of a choice. It only took her one morning to start taking a bottle regularly.

After she started day care, dh could give her a bottle at home but I couldn't be anywhere in the vinicity...she definitely could "smell" me as another poster mentioned.

Ds was a totally different kid. Loved his food and didn't care where it came from!

Both kids moved to straw and/or sippy cups by their first birthdays.

I second the Nuk bottle.

Also when we left my dd for the first time with dh's grandmother, she wouldn't take a bottle for her, so she put a little chocolate pudding on the nipple for taste.

I was horrified when I heard this, but it worked. Dd never had a problem with the bottle after that. It was just that first time.

I second the Nuk bottle.

Also when we left my dd for the first time with dh's grandmother, she wouldn't take a bottle for her, so she put a little chocolate pudding on the nipple for taste.

I was horrified when I heard this, but it worked. Dd never had a problem with the bottle after that. It was just that first time.

I was going to recommend doing something like this- my oldest was the same way- she completely freaked out when you put something plastic in her mouth :) Then I found some liquid sugar and put it on the nipple and that helped her take it. Once she figures out she will get milk from the bottle, too, you'll probably be fine. It's just getting her to try it that's the problem.

Also- definitely try the Nuk nipple- I nursed all three of mine and that was the only nipple they ever liked. Good luck :)

I second the Nuk bottle.

Well that is an interesting way to get a baby to take a bottle. I could see why it would work though............chocolate........yum!!

I second the whole have somebody other than you give the bottle when you are not anywhere close.

I also say if it is just your brother or others watching you are worried about get a hooter hider or similiar cover. I picked up a poncho type at walmart for 12.00.

We also did as PP suggested and skipped bottles altogether and went from breast to straw cups. Infants learn straws surprisingly well and have more control over the flow..

Good luck!!!

I think not only the nipple type is important, but the amount of flow from the nipple. Each nipple brand comes in 3 or 4 different flows, just look at the label. Make sure it is the same flow as when you breastfeed, otherwise, your baby won't have the patience to drink from the bottle!! This was my experience, anyway. DS (now 4 yrs) did not take bottle until 6 mo old!! For some reason he would also not eat baby food until 6 mo. as well. I lost so much weight I had to start drinking ensure, family members were alarmed for my health, and we were trying EVERYTHING. Best of luck to you. (don't you love it when other moms tell you horror stories? Hope something in there helps though);)

I wish you luck. My youngest wouldn't take a bottle no matter what. I literally tried every bottle on the market, even the one that looks like the "real thing". I had a sitter that would come 1x a week for 4 hours. He wouldn't take them from her. Even worse was he would nurse every 45 minutes and he was very slow gainer so I couldn't deny him a meal!

I wish you luck. My youngest wouldn't take a bottle no matter what. I literally tried every bottle on the market, even the one that looks like the "real thing". I had a sitter that would come 1x a week for 4 hours. He wouldn't take them from her. Even worse was he would nurse every 45 minutes and he was very slow gainer so I couldn't deny him a meal!

Well thank goodness she does not eat 45 min. She does sleep a lot during the day on most days but then cluster feeds from about 6 to 10 at night.............it seems as though she is just eating that whole time!

I had the same issues with both my boys ... my first finally took the bottle, but my second never did. It started to put a cramp in my life ... especially when he still needed to nurse at night. Here are some of the suggestions from my doctor, LaLeche League and the internet (I was desperate).

Have someone else give the bottle. Have that person wear a robe or article of your clothing that will smell strongly like you. Make sure you are far away during the process. Have the bottle giver hold the bottle in a similar position to your breast. Keep trying, no matter how frustrating for the person giving the bottle and make sure you don't rush in a rescue your baby (another reason to be out of the house). Obviously, don't be cruel, but don't give up after two failed attempts.

I had great luck with Doc Brown bottles and also the Playtex drop in bottles with the brown nipples. Those are a different material and supposedly more like human breasts. My doctor also suggested the bottles that are breast shaped, but my son wasn't interested at all.

Good luck! Two of my friends went through this recently as well so I think it's more common than we realize, but it can put a damper on your life.

I agree to let someone else try to feed her. I would also consider some of the really nice covers so you do not have to feel uneasy feeding her in your own home. You and her however may welcome the chance to escape the activity for feeding and cuddle time. You may want to consider limiting too how many bottles you give her a day, too many may diminish your milk supply.

I just started watching an 11 wk old baby. He uses Nuks as well. He was very fussy the first few weeks. One thing I have learned is that he likes his milk very warm. Not so hot that it burns (obviously) but very very warm.

I will say this tho... soon as mom walks in, he starts crying for her & immediately wants to nurse. It doesn't matter if I just fed him, he wants his mommma :cloud9:

She also mentioned that he will not take the bottle from her & won't take it if she is near. She can be across the room...but not close to him.

I had the same issues with both my boys ... my first finally took the bottle, but my second never did. It started to put a cramp in my life ... especially when he still needed to nurse at night. Here are some of the suggestions from my doctor, LaLeche League and the internet (I was desperate).

Have someone else give the bottle. Have that person wear a robe or article of your clothing that will smell strongly like you. Make sure you are far away during the process. Have the bottle giver hold the bottle in a similar position to your breast. Keep trying, no matter how frustrating for the person giving the bottle and make sure you don't rush in a rescue your baby (another reason to be out of the house). Obviously, don't be cruel, but don't give up after two failed attempts.

I had great luck with Doc Brown bottles and also the Playtex drop in bottles with the brown nipples. Those are a different material and supposedly more like human breasts. My doctor also suggested the bottles that are breast shaped, but my son wasn't interested at all.

Good luck! Two of my friends went through this recently as well so I think it's more common than we realize, but it can put a damper on your life.

Thank you for sharing the suggestions you received. I will have my DH try it out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter