Getting Married Young?

joedplumber

Love Vacationing!
So today at work while talking to a coworker it came up in conversation on how I have been married for 11+ years. At which point she remarked OMG you must of got married young. I replied that my wife and I were 24 when we got married and she confirmed that we were definitely young at that age.

Just wondering if people think this is young to get married? My thought is young would be getting married between 18-20 and the average to me 20-30.

Now don't get me wrong you get married when you are ready and there is no wrong or right at any age as long it is a legal age.

Yeah, I tend to think as getting married young as meaning as teenagers or very early 20s.

DH and I were both 23. We had both finished college at that point. I never thought of that s particularly young to get married.

I wouldn't consider 24 to be "married young", but I guess it's all a matter of perspective for folks.

So today at work while talking to a coworker it came up in conversation on how I have been married for 11+ years. At which point she remarked OMG you must of got married young. I replied that my wife and I were 24 when we got married and she confirmed that we were definitely young at that age.

Just wondering if people think this is young to get married? My thought is young would be getting married between 18-20 and the average to me 20-30.

Now don't get me wrong you get married when you are ready and there is no wrong or right at any age as long it is a legal age.

I was 19 when I got married. I consider that young. This July will be our 30th wedding anniversary. :love:

I as 19 and dh was 20, coming up on 27 years. :lovestruc

I don't think 24 is married young. I think it's average. I was married at 19 (the first time). That was young.

I don't consider 23/24 as 'young' for getting married. At that age one could have finished college, have a full time job in their field, and be self supporting.

I was 2 months shy of 24 when DH and I got married. I didn't consider myself 'young'.

My nephew got married at 17. Now that's young. :rolleyes1

I started dating DH right after I turned 17, he was 22. When we got married I was 21 and he was 26. I was pregnant with our second child:rotfl: Still together and about to celebrate our 11th anniversary. Wouldn't want my kids to get married that young but it's worked out for us.

I was 18 and DH was 21. We were very young! We caught a lot of heat for being young but I'm so glad we did it anyways. We have lost a lot of loved ones (my dad included) that wouldn't of been there had we waited.

I don't consider 23/24 as 'young' for getting married. At that age one could have finished college, have a full time job in their field, and be self supporting.

I was 2 months shy of 24 when DH and I got married. I didn't consider myself 'young'.

My nephew got married at 17. Now that's young. :rolleyes1

Spot on!

I and my DW were both a year out of college and working in our field of major and both living at home before we got married.

I guess you could call us the "Ducks in a Row" type. lol

I got married 3 weeks after my 24th birthday. My husband was 26. He had his masters and I had my bachelors. We were some of the first among our college friends to get married. Contrast that to this summer when I was in my hometown visiting some old friends. I was talking with a guy friend whom I have known my entire life. He made the comment that it was so nice that I met my husband "so much later in life" because I got to enjoy my teens and early twenties without being tied down (he married at 20 and has now been divorced for a year). Many of my high school friends who stayed in my hometown and either went to the university there or didn't go to college were married by 21.

I think that it completely depends on the culture of your area. I have heard that people in the south marry much younger than up north, but it is also more common for people up north to live together prior to marriage. Around my college friends, I married rather young. Around my high school friends, I was much older - an idea that actually makes me laugh. I've been married 5 years and still don't feel old.

I would consider getting married before you are in your late twenties to be 'young'. That's not to say the marriage is doomed to failure. I was 22 when I got married and we just celebrated our 28th anniversary. Still, I hope that my girls will wait until they are older to marry.

I got married at 20, dh was 24. Young! I was still in college and even bought my first house while in college. We were dating for 7 years and felt it was time.

That was 20 years ago.

I would think anything under 27 or so to be young.

I know my niece is 25 and says she won't even consider it until she is into her 30's. She does live with her boyfriend and is very career oriented to consider children at this point.

The last 2 "first" weddings I have been to, were 2 different cousins and both were in their early 30's.

I was married at 24 (barely 24). I do not consider it "young" because I'd graduated from college and was self-supporting, etc.

I think I would consider "young" to be getting married before graduating college, or becoming established in whatever career/trade you choose...

I was 19 and DH was 21 when we got married. I felt we were married very young but it worked for us. We are having our 4th anniversary in March though, yay!

I was 2 months shy of being 18, and dh was 19. We married for love, and in 2 weeks it will be 26 years:lovestruc

I can understand why some people consider 24 young given just how things are today. Many 24 year olds are still in graduate programs, finding their first job, or living at home that it does sound young to be "established" in something. I was 26 and DH was 29 when we married. For a lot of our family members, we were late bloomers. Or they were just shocked that we were engaged after a year of knowing each other while they all dated for many years (because they were too young I guess :rotfl:) before getting engaged.

While anything under 25 sounds young to me, it's not very young or tragically young to be getting married.

In Canada, where I live, the average age of men when they first marry is 31 and for women - 29. In the US, it's 29 and 27 respectively.

IMO, any age under 26 is young.

DH and I were 22 when we married (17 years ago).
I guess I would consider anything under 20 young. Beyond that, we're definitely adults and old enough to marry (although I still think that's odd when you consider a 20yo may not be able to toast on their wedding day legally. :lmao:)

I was 24 and my husband was 26 when we got married. He had a degree and full time job and I had my masters and a full time job.
Did not seem young to us at all. I think many young people these days suffer from delayed onset of adulthood.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter