getting lost

DHS is just a disaster and, at least for me, it is easy to get turned around (and I have been going there since it opened! :rolleyes1)

Same here, but I thought it was because I've only been there twice. Funny how it's the smallest park but can present the biggest challenge for navigation.

Ditto, ditto, ditto. I get "lost" at HS on every single trip because the layout makes NO SENSE. I can never remember how things connect on the left side of the park - I'm Ok on the right. :lmao:

ThisThissityThisThisThis! I studied the guidebooks for years before my first trip and thought I knew it all, but was totally confused by DHS. At least now I've got the hang of going back and forth between Star Tours and TSM. :thumbsup2 But DHS has got to be one of the most awkwardly designed parks ever. MK is easy, Epcot's easy as long as you follow the signs in Future World, even AK's not that bad once you look it over. But DHS... :faint:

I have NO sense of direction :( I can't remember where my table is after I've gone to the ladies room in a restaurant. My boys are so better than I am. I was terrified of MK but.... MK makes sense! If you have a map or what I did was make my own funny little cheat sheet of the lands. MK was EASY, EPCOT was easy, AK was not that bad BUT DHS omg.... That's the one that got me lost! But, we did it and tried everything, and made it back to our resort after F!

Thanks everyone! I'll just let her know that we will not know where we are going in DHS ahead of time to prepare her mentally.

While I agree that parts of DHS are odd, and slightly confusing...I'm not sure it's quite right to say you won't know where you are going.

Do look at a map of HS. The right half the park (ToT, RnRC, B and B show) is pretty easy to navigate. ToT stands out pretty clearly. The Animation Studios/VotLM area is also pretty easy; there's a courtyard.

The part that's tricky is the left half the park. I think it's tricky because mentally we expect it to be spokes- like MK- and it's not. The path's make two triangles. Also, you can't see the hub. At Epcot, can almost always see Spaceship Earth from any part of the park. If you are on the main WS pathway, you can see the entire lagoon. One half is a little longer than it appears, but you can see all the countries. Each has a tall landmark. In most of MK, you can see the Castle.

The biggest challenge I have personally, is when we are in the midst of the parade/post-fireworks crowd of MK. It's easy to get split up and disoriented. It can also be a tad confusing during the parades, when major pathways are closed.

Oh, one more tiny tidbit to know before you go. When MK gets very crowded, Disney funnels guests down the backstage area of Main Street (to exit the park). If they send guests down that path, it's a straight path. CM's won't let you venture to explore. I've only seen it a few times, but it could be disconcerting if you don't know about it, and don't know where you are being sent.

can you print off maps before you go? that way you could circle the things you want to see/do. or maybe make personalized maps on the disney site?

like others said, though, everything is pretty clearly marked, and there are cm's all over the place who are more than happy to point you in the right direction. and being lost in disney isn't like being lost in the mall - at disney you might just find some cool thing that wasn't in the guidebook or some really awesome cm. or ice cream. ;)

jennykay said:
can you print off maps before you go? that way you could circle the things you want to see/do. or maybe make personalized maps on the disney site?

like others said, though, everything is pretty clearly marked, and there are cm's all over the place who are more than happy to point you in the right direction. and being lost in disney isn't like being lost in the mall - at disney you might just find some cool thing that wasn't in the guidebook or some really awesome cm. or ice cream. ;)

Thankss. Maybe I'm making it seem worse in my head than it really is.

While I agree that parts of DHS are odd, and slightly confusing...I'm not sure it's quite right to say you won't know where you are going.

Do look at a map of HS. The right half the park (ToT, RnRC, B and B show) is pretty easy to navigate. ToT stands out pretty clearly. The Animation Studios/VotLM area is also pretty easy; there's a courtyard.

The part that's tricky is the left half the park. I think it's tricky because mentally we expect it to be spokes- like MK- and it's not. The path's make two triangles. Also, you can't see the hub. At Epcot, can almost always see Spaceship Earth from any part of the park. If you are on the main WS pathway, you can see the entire lagoon. One half is a little longer than it appears, but you can see all the countries. Each has a tall landmark. In most of MK, you can see the Castle.

The biggest challenge I have personally, is when we are in the midst of the parade/post-fireworks crowd of MK. It's easy to get split up and disoriented. It can also be a tad confusing during the parades, when major pathways are closed.

Oh, one more tiny tidbit to know before you go. When MK gets very crowded, Disney funnels guests down the backstage area of Main Street (to exit the park). If they send guests down that path, it's a straight path. CM's won't let you venture to explore. I've only seen it a few times, but it could be disconcerting if you don't know about it, and don't know where you are being sent.

Last year during Easter Week we came into MK during the electrical parade. (there was late EMH that night.) They were funneling people INTO the park via the backstage area behind Main Street. It was really cool to see (and we could see all the Easter Decorations all staged and ready to go out over the next few days) but yup, every time we even slowed down, there was someone there (politely) pointing out which way we needed to move.

But it was really awesome to get that glimpse of backstage.

Though it's not a topic that comes up all that often, I hardly think you are alone. It's a very valid concern, and you were brave to post it! It's smart to have a strategy before you go!

I'm sure other folks will benefit from your post!

I always do this. I worry and plan and look at maps and replan and make lists and watch videos, then when we get there it all falls away. I think all the planning and worrying pays off in a relaxing trip. :goodvibes

I have almost zero since of direction so I can relate. As others have said, you really can't get "lost" at WDW. There are maps and CMs all over who can help.
If you have a car, just remember where you parked and everything else will fall into place. I wish that I could get around everywhere as well as I do at WDW.:earsboy:

AK is the worst for me. This will be our 4th year in a row in the park (7th visit total) and its the only park I need to grab a map! Usually I just follow the signs in AK, but it confuses the heck out of me!

Hollywood Studios always gets me muddled up. Perhaps because the layout is a bit different to the other parks.

OP you will be fine. I have NO sense of direction (you know the kind of person who always thinks the car has been 'stolen' from the parking ....... :rolleyes1 - that's me) and with a map and plenty people to ask it was fine the first time and you do learn your way around very quickly. If I can do it, you can do it :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter