Getting guests to travel?

pointybubble

Mouseketeer
My boyfriend of 5 years proposed to me just last week on our cruise! Now I am doing the beginning stages of planning, and the more I think about a Disney wedding, the more I want one. I have always loved Disney and even worked there last year as part of the College Program (I was a Pastry Chef at Epcot) and I still can't get enough!

I suggested the idea to my mother (who will be contributing a majority of the funding), but she's not as convinced as I am. She says we would have three times the attendance if I just had a local wedding, and she's probably right. For reference, we live in the Ft. Lauderdale area, which is about a 3-4 hour drive from Orlando. Most of the potential guests live in this area- only a few are out of state. I always assumed I would have a big wedding, is there a way to get the best of both worlds? Are people (casual friends) really willing to do a weekend trip for a wedding because they will get to go to Disney World? (I know I would, but I don't count).

How did you convince guests to travel?

i'm not inviting "casual friends" as we are doing a smaller wedding and it is traveling. by traveling, i mean get on a plane and fly across country, and probably not for one night!! though guests may indeed need to stay over night if they live 3-4 hours away, i guess i don't really see whay that would require major arm twisting! you might look at an afternoon wedding if people wanted to drive there and back?

good luck and congrats!

She says we would have three times the attendance if I just had a local wedding, and she's probably right.

Yes, and she will have to spend three times as much on food and drinks if all those people come! ;) Perhaps if you pitch her on the idea that fewer guests = less money she will begin to see things differently.

Really? I had 150 people at my wedding. I live in Orlando but most of our guests were from out of state. I think it's not that far of a trip and I think you can still have your dream BIG wedding.

Also, there are so many affordable options! Most people go away for weekend trips. Coming from Ft Lauderdale, I really think people will come. You'd be surprised!

I'm the opposite of you. I'm form NY, I have a small family, DF has a BIG family. I love Disney, always have, even worked at WDW, and always wanted to get married there. I committed to the idea when I thought WDW + almost everyone traveling= less of DF family (I know its kinda mean but I don't want all of his family coming especially since I am the sole contributor to the wedding).

A 3-4 hour drive isn't really a long distance to travel. I would take a long weekend and go. I think most people would look at it as a mini vacation/getaway. If your heart is set on a Disney wedding, go for it.

Good Luck!;)

I've been told by people that they will use this as a mini-vacation for them, and the wedding is just a bonus. We're planning on ~75 guests, which would be about the same if we did it back home (in Texas). Both DF and I wanted to do a Disney wedding, so I think that's what counts. Do what you want, because it's your day and it only happens once. :)

I don't think that's far at all.... it's your wedding.... those that matter will be there!

I don't think the trip from FLL to WDW is unreasonable at all. It's a pretty easy one-tank trip and there are hotels available at pretty much any price point.

To make it a little easier on your guests, I would also suggest an afternoon wedding with an early evening reception. That way those who must drive in and out on the same day aren't inconvenienced too much. They could leave at 11am for a 3pm ceremony and stay through dinner and most of the reception while still being able to hit the road around 7-8pm and still make it home for a late bedtime.

While having your wedding a few hours away might deter your boss's cousin from showing up, the vast majority of the people you're close to would make the trip.

Yes, and she will have to spend three times as much on food and drinks if all those people come! ;) Perhaps if you pitch her on the idea that fewer guests = less money she will begin to see things differently.

ITA with Carrie - the people who we really wanted to come to the wedding (more or less) came. Those who would have just been filler (i.e. boss' cousin) stayed home. Through the planning process I learned that people will complain no matter where you have the wedding - you just need to learn that you aren't going to make everyone happy. Concentrate on what makes you, and your future spouse happy! Other people come around eventually. :flower3:

Thanks ladies! I think the point that you don't end up paying for three times the people is an excellent point! I think people would use it as a mini getaway too. I'm really excited about doing this, I just need to talk Mom into this since she's not so convinced :rolleyes:

Thanks ladies! I think the point that you don't end up paying for three times the people is an excellent point! I think people would use it as a mini getaway too. I'm really excited about doing this, I just need to talk Mom into this since she's not so convinced :rolleyes:

Not sure if you have done this but why don't you have your Mom over and show her some of the trip reports and planning jornals here on the Disboards and the DFTW wedsite. She may not understand what Disney weddings are all about and showing her how creative, classy, custom etc they can be with all the options and locations plus you get a built in wedding planning team might win her over. Not having to deal with all the different vendors is a big plus.

I'm from Miami and we had no problem getting people to come up for the wedding. Everyone we invited (we had a set guest list before we sent out invitations so there was no send out 50 and hope to get 30 RSVPs back, everyone we invited we knew was going to come.) is coming.

If I had a wedding at home we'd have to invite 100+ people and spend waaaay more than what we're spending now because I was not going to have my wedding at a banquet hall where it's usually cheaper. I would have had it at the Biltmore hotel (very pricey). So in the end we are having the intimate wedding we wanted in our favorite vacation spot!! Two worlds in one, can't get any better.

What also helps us is that our guests all love WDW and go several time a year so it wasn't really any trouble to have them drive up from Miami and stay a few days. Our furthest guest is coming from Jacksonville, FL... and even that is a shorter drive than coming from Miami.

I think you need to convince your mom that this is what you want and then send out an engagement announcement with a little blurb at the end telling your guests where you want to get married. I'm sure you'll get a lot of yes/no's once they see that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter