Getting cold feet...need some reassurance!

potterpixieprincess

Earning My Ears
Hi, everybody! I'm mostly a lurker (a big lurker--I've been coming every day since we booked our cruise! ;) ) Anyway, my DH and I are leaving in 27 days for our land and sea vacation, and up until this point, we've been so excited. We should be excited--we went to Hawaii three years ago for our honeymoon, and it WAS really fun, but I'd been to that same island a bunch of times and the honeymoon kind of happened at the last minute (relatively), so we didn't have a lot of time to plan or save money. We've had this one planned for so long that we've had enough time to plan and save and (hopefully) make it the trip of a lifetime.

Anyway, there's only one amusement park where I'm from and, when I was little, I thought it was pretty amazing, but as I've gotten older, I've really gotten a bad taste in my mouth. I know Disney World isn't an amusement park, but I've gotta say, I'm getting a little nervous. And, while I've always wanted to go on a cruise (and never have been), I'm worried about that, too. I think I'm scared I'll be thinking about how much it cost the whole time. PLUS, my DH, after deciding he hates his current (albeit well-paying) career path, has decided to go back to school. He applies for his super-competitive program 11 days before we leave and we won't know until after we get back. I KNOW he'll be devastated if he doesn't get in and I KNOW I'll be worrying about it for the entire trip.

So I guess, after all that, I'm just asking for reassurance and advice (please validate me as a human being :D ) that...
a) Our money will be well spent
b) Disney World is not a cheap, dirty amusement park
c) I'll be able to forget about everything stressful in the world for 10 days (and I definitely need to know how you do this!)

Anyway, sorry this was long and rambling, but I just have to share my worries.

Kate

Don't worry! There is absolutely NO comparison between Lagoon (I am assuming that is the park you are talking about) and Walt Disney World.

My husband also had a major job-related situation coming up right after our last cruise. While he did worry some, he also realized that worrying about it wouldn't change the outcome, but would ruin the vacation we had been planning for a long time.

Look at it this way, if your DH is accepted, he'll sure be glad he had a great vacation before he had to buckle down and study!

Relax and enjoy!

gesamom

Gesamom - welcome to the DIS!

Kate,
Posts like this are easy to understand, but hard to relate-to as a veteran of all things Disney. Because I know you will be blown away! You've never experienced anything like the joy on the cruise. You can't worry about the money because you already knew what that would be. Disney is about the shows, themes and spectacle far more than the thrill rides. (don't believe me, be sure to see Fantasmic at Disney Studios) Just go, relax, understand that you will be among other humans (read, have patience) and enjoy this event with your family. However, we expect a full report when you return.

Must second the poster who said that there is no comparison between Lagoon and WDW. None!

Another vote for the zero similarities between Lagoon and Disney World!

Thanks, everybody! I'm feeling so much better. It's just a little bit scary, you know?

I'm surprised how many people have been to Lagoon! Yeah, it's pretty bad. I hadn't been for a long time and DH and I went for our first anniversary. We paid the sixty bucks, rode a few rides, and then took our picnic lunch home and watched the season finale of Friends. And it's not like we had sixty bucks to blow--it was that un-fun! Anyway, thanks again! These boards are the best!

Hi Kate,

Are you going on the May 1, Magic cruise or on one of the Wonder cruises? the 27 days sounds like something the first week of May. I first went to WDW in 1974 just after it opened and it blew me away. I grew up with the ORIGINAL Six Flags Over Texas so I do have a great comparison and WDW is truly a Magical experience. It's clean and INTERESTING. No way you can do everything that's offered but you'll absolutely love it.

And the crew on the Magic or Wonder will ensure you have either a Magical or Wonderful time. My DD is a CM in the Oceaneer's Club on the Magic. Jsut last Saturday she told me about something they did "over and above" expectations to help a family have a truly Magical time. They call the Magical Moments and really look for situations where they can make someone's cruise really special.

Have a great time and create some memories to treasure.

Reine

Hi kate, please please please don't be worried, two things " what will be will be " if it's the right thing for your partner it will happen if not there will be a reason why , also "90% of the things we worry about never actually happen " you are not in control of what happens with his application and so don't waste your time worrying.
Disney is no tacky park it is the cleanest place i've ever been to, everyone is there with one same goal to have fun and enjoy the experience and i know that you will , we went for our first trip in 2000 thinking it would be our only one and we loved it so much we bought into DVC so we can go back year after year. My best advice is to take your time in the parks , relax , enjoy and take lots of breaks , even go back to your hotel for a swim , rest halfway through the day. Don't miss fantasmic and if your'e going to epcot be sure to stay for the fireworks.

Have a fantastic time and good luck for your hubby x
:earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy:

Hi, Kate and welcome aboard!! When you're at the parks, take time to look at the small details...makes you realize just how magical it is. Our first trip, we were so overwhelmed, tried to do everything, etc that, even tho we loved it and had a great time, I felt we had missed out. The second time we slooooowed down, and had an incredible experience. So, don't feel you have to do it all...trust me...you'll be going back!!
Michele

Kate, I think you'll find that from the moment you set foot on the Wonder, most of your worries will melt away. At the parks, it is wonderful, but you will be spending money for drinks and food, so there's some stress involved there.

Once you're on the boat, unless you want to buy alcohol, it's pretty much all included! So nice to be able to say "gee, both desserts sound good, I'll just have half of each!" I almost NEVER order dessert in a restaurant because I just think it's too expensive, but on the ship, it's all included. The entire trip is just very relaxing because you can choose to do almost nothing, or to enjoy many different activities. It's completely up to you.

Have a great time!

Hi. I wanted to add my assurances and to let you know that you are not alone. My family and I went through some trying times and I was looking at our cruise as if it was going to be the "all there is" type magic.

A day before we left, we had some disturbing news about my health, not fatal. So, again God has put my life into a cleared perspective. Our cruise was great because I took everyday as it came-without pushing and pulling to make my will everyone's will.

Take Care

Ursula

Potterpixieprincess- I guarantee that the moment you step onto Main St. in the Magic Kingdom, your heart will fill with joy.

As for the expense of the cruise, the trip doesn't last just the few days you are on the ship, but lasts as a lifetime of happy memories.

Have a wonderful time!!

Kate,

I know just what you are feeling. Just before our frist time at WDW I kept thinking back to the big amusment park that I grew up near and I wasn't all that excited. I kept remembering the extreme heat (Texas heat), rude employees and lines that went on for days. So needless to say my hope for Disney was low. However from the first moment we arrived on main street I was hooked! I looked down at my feet and the ground was clean! Nothing like the parks I knew!

As far the cruise, I have to you that there is one big problem that everyone here has had to face. How soon can I get back on board! You have no choice but to relax. It's a wonderful cruise. About a month ago I too left my well paying job because I was so unhappy. I will be returning to school the week after we return from our cruise. Remember no matter what happens on your vacation, life will still be there waiting for you to return. So you can worry your vacation away or enjoy it 100%. My vote is for enjoying it.

By the way I am sooooo jealous you leave so much sooner than we do!

We had the same "cold feet" as you guys. We had no idea what the Disney "MAGIC" was......We quickly learned what the cast members meant when they said, "Have a Magical day!" Now we are Disney maniacs. Perhaps if you get a book on visiting the parks with suggestions about what to see and where to eat. We felt better when we had a 'plan' to conquering the parks.

My motto regarding vacations is "you can not put a $ on memories made. They are truly priceless!! And no one can ever take your memories from you. They live in your heart forever!!"

Leave your worries behind you for the week. There is no room in a suitcase for worries!!! Things always have a way of working out. Give your worries to the Lord and put faith in their place.

Have a magical trip!!

Oh my! Being that you only know what a cheap, dirty amusement park is, you would be blown away by the magic and joy that hits you with a trip to WDW! There is no place like it!

The ship is beautiful, spotless and a dream come true. :)

As far as your DH's application, try not to think about it (there's nothing you can do anyway while you're away) and take on the Caribbean outlook: "No Worries" !!! :teeth:

As far as the expense, it is expensive, but look at as a treat you so deserve and enjoy every second. And they you will!

Have an awesome trip!!!!

after a 1 day trip to disneyland as part of a trip to la for a wedding and doing knotts, universal hollywood in 78 i never got to wdw until 89, for our honeymoon, made it back in 96, 98,99,02,03, bought dvc and have never looked back, 1st trip home 12/03, 2 trips planned this year,may, dec and waiting out rofr for add on dvc, as soon as that clears plan on booking 3rd trip, point being that the happiest place on earth is just that, nothing else compares, just remember to slow down a little, you'll enjoy more, it took me 3 trips to chuck the park commando style, you can't see it all in that time frame anyway, you'll see, it only takes a few encounters with magical cm's and you'll be in the disney mod, hooked for life here
pirate:

Thanks again--you guys are great! Oh, CM_Mom, we're actually doing the 3 Land/4 Sea that (technically) starts on April 29, but we tacked another day on at WDW. Plus, since we live in the west, we're flying out on the 27th (and I consider that the first day of our trip because it's so fun to actually kick off the vacation after waiting sooooo long!) And then we're spending another day after the cruise at Discovery Cove...and now we're contemplating spending the night near the airport the night before we leave for Orlando because our flight is an early one...this trip keeps getting longer and longer! But is that EVER a bad thing?!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter