Getting back to the hotel after Fantasmic

EAW

Earning My Ears
We love Fantasmic, but are hesitant to go this year because we have limited time in the parks. Any suggestions for quick and efficient ways to get back to the hotel after the show is done? The lines for the busses are always so hectic!

We love Fantasmic, but are hesitant to go this year because we have limited time in the parks. Any suggestions for quick and efficient ways to get back to the hotel after the show is done? The lines for the busses are always so hectic!

Unless you want to pay for a cab, you really do not have any better choice than standing in the bus line.

There are cabs at the park. Or you could walk to the BWV and grab a bus to DD or a cab there. It could be a long wait for the bus to DD and you'd have to change to your resort bus there, which could mean another long wait.

Are you open to staying at the BWV or perhaps the Swan or Dolphin? If so, you could just walk back to your resort. Takes about 10-15 minutes at a normal pace - a little longer with small children. There is also boat service to those resorts, but the lines for the boats aren't any better than those for the bus.

If you are trying to avoid the mass exodus of guests and the long bus lines when the park closes, I have 2 suggestions.

1. Sit at the top of the amphitheatre, as close to the right exit (as you are looking at the stage) as possible. The second the finale ends, hustle (and I do mean HUSTLE) out the exit. This would put you near the front of the crowd, and hopefully you will arrive at the bus line before it is too long.

2. Dawdle. Let the crowd leave the amphitheatre ahead of you. Take the center exit (the one you entered from). Stroll slowly down the street. Get a snack. Stop for a bit of window shopping. Do a little night photography near the hat. If you can delay your exit from the park by 30 min. or more, the bus lines will be much, much shorter and you won't have to fight any crowds.

Another thing you could do is schedule a dinner ADR in the park for just after Fantasmic! finishes. Then by the time you're done eating, there should be virtually no line for the buses. It doesn't get you back to the resort sooner, but it does minimize the amount of "wasted" time you have. Besides, you have to have dinner at some point anyway, right? :)

As someone who just got back from WDW and experienced this a couple days ago, I would say plan ahead or skip Fantasmic. I literally cried because exiting was so horrible (not to mention we had two very tired crying, screaming children). Next time we will skip this or we will drive our car/take a taxi instead of waiting in the line for the buses. People can be so rude as well. We waited so long to board the Monorail Resort Bus. Handicapped and their whole families (sometimes 6-10ppl) cut the whole line every time the buses came. It really made me upset. I understand you need help, even if I did see you walk around the quick service restaurant before Fantasmic started for at least 10mins (this really happened!!), but my overtired children need help as well and it doesn't give you a reason to cut everyone in line (especially when the line is out of the chains and past other resort lines). Don't get me wrong, if you are truly handicapped and can't exit your chair/scooter then I understand. You can cut me in line all day long. We also had bad luck with our bus driver, who didn't seem very skilled in operating the bus. Fantasmic is great, but it's not worth going through all that again. Using a Fastpass+ is also not worth it (plenty of seating if you get there a little early). Get a taxi, take your own car, or leave the show a few seconds early to beat the flood exiting the park! If you can't do any of those 3 then don't go.

As someone who just got back from WDW and experienced this a couple days ago, I would say plan ahead or skip Fantasmic. I literally cried because exiting was so horrible (not to mention we had two very tired crying, screaming children). Next time we will skip this or we will drive our car/take a taxi instead of waiting in the line for the buses. People can be so rude as well. We waited so long to board the Monorail Resort Bus. Handicapped and their whole families (sometimes 6-10ppl) cut the whole line every time the buses came. It really made me upset. I understand you need help, even if I did see you walk around the quick service restaurant before Fantasmic started for at least 10mins (this really happened!!), but my overtired children need help as well and it doesn't give you a reason to cut everyone in line (especially when the line is out of the chains and past other resort lines). Don't get me wrong, if you are truly handicapped and can't exit your chair/scooter then I understand. You can cut me in line all day long. We also had bad luck with our bus driver, who didn't seem very skilled in operating the bus. Fantasmic is great, but it's not worth going through all that again. Using a Fastpass+ is also not worth it (plenty of seating if you get there a little early). Get a taxi, take your own car, or leave the show a few seconds early to beat the flood exiting the park! If you can't do any of those 3 then don't go.

Your experience at DHS is no different than park closing at any of the parks on any given day. Ranting on ECV/wheelchair guests was unnecessary. I believe the OP is well aware of the bus situation at park close. Which is why she was asking for ways to avoid the issue. But avoiding F. just because of the crowds at closing? Why not also avoid Wishes and Illuminations for the same reason?

I love Fantasmic and wouldn't skip it for anything. Minnie Mum's suggestions are great. We are dawdlers, ourselves. Last trip, we went to the (calm and quiet) Baby Care center (granted, after slowly walking in the throng of people to get there) and took our time feeding and changing our kid. We then ended up in a fun conversation with the guest relations CMs there, and by the time we were done with all that the park was empty, as well as the bus lines. We took a photo in front of the Mickey hat with an empty street! It was great. We walked right onto the bus, only one other couple was on with us.

Also, this was one of the nights when DHS closed early and there was only one Fantasmic show. That doesn't really help you get back to your hotel quickly (unless, as has been suggested, you stay at one of the Epcot/DHS area hotels and you can walk), but on those nights, you don't feel like you're getting back that late anyway, but its usually already too late to go to another park (unless you are hardcore and want to hit up the MK EMH til 3am or something).

If you are trying to avoid the mass exodus of guests and the long bus lines when the park closes, I have 2 suggestions.

1. Sit at the top of the amphitheatre, as close to the right exit (as you are looking at the stage) as possible. The second the finale ends, hustle (and I do mean HUSTLE) out the exit. This would put you near the front of the crowd, and hopefully you will arrive at the bus line before it is too long.

we did this on 10/22. we were in the F+ dining package at the top of the theatre, hustled, grabbed the stroller and got to the bus back to the resort pretty quickly. DHS closed at 7:30 I think and F+ was at 7:30.

Thanks for all the suggestions! We typically stay in one of the resorts within walking distance, but we are trying something new this time. With having such a short trip, we were thinking of skipping HS altogether, but I just love Fantasmic! Maybe we will try leaving a few minutes before the show ends!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter