getting an extra stateroom key?

WebmasterLeah

DIS Veteran
We're going to be cruising with my in-laws this January. Is it possible to get them an extra key to our stateroom so they can get in to put the kids to bed if we're out? Last time we cruised with them, we had connecting doors, so I've never run into this before!

You can go to guest services with them and have access to your room put on their key card. It's really easy.

We've always had to get an extra key card. I don't think it's possible for one key card to open 2 cabins.
Go to Guest Services and they will issue a second card.
FYI if you like to carry the cards in a lanyard the key card will not tap to open the cabin door with both cards together. I asked Guest Services for an extra pouch and then could tap the correct card to the cabin.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, they will need to get an extra room key to open the stateroom, you cannot have access to two staterooms on one key.

While I've been on only 3 Disney Cruises - I got off the most recent one in September - and I used my one key for two rooms - as did the others in my party. I've done this on two of my cruises - the first on the Magic and the third on the Fantasy (we were all in one room on our second cruise so it wasn't an issue)

We're going to be cruising with my in-laws this January. Is it possible to get them an extra key to our stateroom so they can get in to put the kids to bed if we're out? Last time we cruised with them, we had connecting doors, so I've never run into this before!
Yes you can Leah. Val & I have done this before when we sailed with Jamie and Connor in a separate cabin. Wait until you board then go to Guest Services. They get this request all the time. Have them prepare two extra keys, one for your cabin and one for theirs, for maximum access/flexibility.

While I've been on only 3 Disney Cruises - I got off the most recent one in September - and I used my one key for two rooms - as did the others in my party. I've done this on two of my cruises - the first on the Magic and the third on the Fantasy (we were all in one room on our second cruise so it wasn't an issue)
This is the first I've ever heard that one KTTW card can unlock the doors for different rooms. It's always been reported that you must get a blank (no charging privileges) KTTW for additional room access.

On the Fantasy, Nov 2014, we were given blank cards for additional room access. I can't remember for our 2007 sailing on the Magic, but I'm pretty sure one card was able to open two doors.

Since our kids don't need their key cards onboard and don't have charging privileges anyway, we've always just held onto one of their cards to access their room. (They are in a room with our caregiver.) She can't get into our room but there's no need for that. But as others have said, it sounds like there are other options available, too.

Thanks for the help, everyone! I figured it was probably an option to get an extra key, but wasn't sure since I've never done it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter