• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Getting a pin code for free dining...

kbmartin

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone!

I would kill to get free dining for our next trip, but I don't think our dates will be quite late enough to qualify for the free dining promotion. Our dates aren't flexible. I'm a teacher and FD always seems to begin when I have to be back at school. We will probably head to WDW mid-August, with our latest date being the 21st or 28th, depending what the school calendar looks like. (It still hasn't come out yet... argh.)

I've heard that sometimes pin codes are sent out for free dining. Can anyone tell me what I would need to do to increase the odds of getting one? Any advice is welcome! Thank you!

Order a planning DVD, make and log in to MDE account and check dates often, order the free personalized maps. I don't think there is any guaranteed way to get a pin but these might help. The last time I got one, I had called and spoke to a CM about how I get a bounce back offer (I didn't realize at that point how they worked) she explained that I couldn't get one after we left the resort and I said "OK, thanks anyways". 2 days later I had an email PIN that said something along the lines of "come back and visit us". I would say anything that makes it look like you are seriously considering booking and you just need that nudge.

Yeah, I've been wondering how you get pin codes. We booked a bounceback so I'm probably not going to get one. It's a good idea to know about this for next time.

Both DH and I have MDE accounts and I ordered the planning DVD for both of us under each of our names. We both received pin codes - mine via email and DH's via snail mail. I've also heard that pricing out a vacation through MDE and saving it or cancelling it can be helpful too. Unfortunately there's no rhyme or reason! Do check all emails from Disney Destinations and scroll through them carefully - sometimes they can look like generic offers or emails.

Both DH and I have MDE accounts and I ordered the planning DVD for both of us under each of our names. We both received pin codes - mine via email and DH's via snail mail. I've also heard that pricing out a vacation through MDE and saving it or cancelling it can be helpful too. Unfortunately there's no rhyme or reason! Do check all emails from Disney Destinations and scroll through them carefully - sometimes they can look like generic offers or emails.

How awesomely lucky! Was it clear enough in the email that the pin code was for free dining.

I wish I was that lucky :)

Thank you all for the advice! I logged in and played around with vacation packages and did the same with my husband's account. I requested a DVD and did the same under my husband's account, too. For his, I said that I was not sure where we planned to stay on our vacation. Maybe we'll get some magic!

How awesomely lucky! Was it clear enough in the email that the pin code was for free dining.

I wish I was that lucky :)

It was if you read the email closely. You'll see a long series of numbers and letter which is the pin. But the wording and look of the email is the same as a general one which is why you need to look closely!

You can also get a pin code every year if you have the Disney Visa card. Usually if you have the card the free dining is available to you for several weeks before they open to public

You can also get a pin code every year if you have the Disney Visa card. Usually if you have the card the free dining is available to you for several weeks before they open to public

I have had the Disney Visa from day one and I have never gotten a PIN. And free dining (or any other promotion) isn't available to Disney Visa holders for a longer time frame than for non-Disney Visa holders - they just get a few days jump on booking.

I'm not sure how much the Disney Visa impacts pin codes, because the card is through Chase and not Disney. No one really knows how pin codes work but it seems as if pin codes are offered to people who initiate something with Disney - ordering the planning DVD, setting up an MDE account, pricing out a vacation, etc. May have been a coincidence if you got a pin code and are also a Disney Visa holder.

Also, when public free dining offers are announced, the booking window opens a only few days early for Disney Visa holders and then the rest of the public. I also think you need to be putting at least the deposit on your Disney Visa card to take advantage of it as well. I'm a Disney Visa cardholder, but book all my travel on my Capital One card (better rewards) so I was not able to take advantage of the early booking window for free dining last year.

All you have to do for the Visa preview is pay your deposit with the Disney Visa. You can pay the balance any way you want.

All you have to do for the Visa preview is pay your deposit with the Disney Visa. You can pay the balance any way you want.

What happens if you already have a package booked and you want to convert to the free dining promo? Do you have to pay the equivalent of $200 on the card?

What happens if you already have a package booked and you want to convert to the free dining promo? Do you have to pay the equivalent of $200 on the card?
yes, you will need to put a $200 deposit on the Disney Visa when you call.

My Brother in law got the FD PIN in 2013 and has no Disney account but does have an ESPN account; only way we could figure he got it.

Minimum deposit on a package reservation is $200, meaning you must pay at least $200 of your reservation at the time you book (unless you are within 45 days of arrival, in which case you must pay the full amount). If you are booking during the Disney Visa preview for package discounts then you must make this payment with a Disney visa card. You can pay the rest however you choose.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter