• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Gettin Tossed from the Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last june we stayed at the GF and each and every time we went swimming there was someone checking ID's. They seemed really on top of it.

Okay so another thread brought a very interesting debate between my wife and I. I am well aware pool hoping is not allowed and I have NO interest in hearing peoples opinion on it.

I have been going to Disney for 30+ years and never, not once have I been asked to show my resort id at the pool. Now I know many of you have in fact been asked to show your id and actually seen people tossed.

So what I want to know is this, WHY did they target you or the people you saw? I can think of some pretty obvious ones for sure but am very curious.

Also Storm Along Bay is a completley different type of place so forget that one. Sorry.

Gee you're awfully picky about what you want to hear. You got some heated discussion going yesterday too, huh.

We (me, DH and DS12) were staying at the GF in March 2008 and took the boat over the to the Poly for our ADR at Ohana's which was at 6:20. We were fully dressed and we were checking out the resort as we had 35 minutes to kill. We decided to stroll by the pool and we stopped to admire the volcano. We were standing there talking and that's when a CM asked us to show our resort ID. :confused3 I explained to him that we were there for our ADR and showed him the paper to prove it. He said thank you and sorry to bother you and we went on our merry way. Now, I can see if we had our bathing suits on and what not but we didn't even look remotely close to pulling up a chair.:lmao: Not sure what prompted the CM to ask us but it did not bother us. Out of the 15+ times that we have stayed at WDW (outside of SAB) this was the only time that we have been asked.

I've been carded at the WL and at CR (of course BCV/SAB always). I think I'm carded because the life guards didn't want to see me in a swimsuit. Too bad, I had room IDs each time!

On a serious side, my 15 yo grandson was at the quiet pool at BCV in May this year and the guards (resort guard not life guard) carded him whenever he was at the pool in the evening without us. He was alone and just sitting in the hot tub. He said it was racial, I say she didn't have enough to do (sadly, he was probably right).

I've never been carded at a value or moderate pool. Only delux pools.

Flame suit on, having seen an id check while pool hopping and not being checked ourselves I'd say they are looking for a certain type of people. We have never been asked to leave any pool and if we were I would not see it as I problem we could just go to our own resort pool.
We started going when pool hopping was allowed and encourage by disney a bit like when mugs had a lifetime refill.

I've been carded at the WL and at CR (of course BCV/SAB always). I think I'm carded because the life guards didn't want to see me in a swimsuit. Too bad, I had room IDs each time!

On a serious side, my 15 yo grandson was at the quiet pool at BCV in May this year and the guards (resort guard not life guard) carded him whenever he was at the pool in the evening without us. He was alone and just sitting in the hot tub. He said it was racial, I say she didn't have enough to do (sadly, he was probably right).

I've never been carded at a value or moderate pool. Only delux pools.

Not that your grandson was up to any mischief, but it's probably not a bad policy for the guards to let all teenage boys know that they are on the radar.

Last june we stayed at the GF and each and every time we went swimming there was someone checking ID's. They seemed really on top of it.

In may this year the CM checked our ID at the GF.

It was not very busy at the time you could easily get chairs in the afternoon.

I think they may be cracking down.When I was at SAB in Sept there were Cms at most areas of the pool,particularly where towels were handed out that checked /issued wristbands.The Cm actually made me go back to my room and get my Dh 's and DD KTTW BEFORE they would issue any of us wristbands.Then they walked the pool area checking bands.Other trips to BC they checked but not as much as my recent trip

In may this year the CM checked our ID at the GF.

It was not very busy at the time you could easily get chairs in the afternoon.

I think they might be more strict about it during the hotter summer months and the monorail resorts are a lot easier for pool hopping so I am guessing they get a lot of folks from the parks wanting to cool off for an hour or 2 before going back into MK. So my guess would be Poly, GF and CR are going to be a bit more watched than say AKL or WL ...simply due to the monorails.

We were seated next to some people at the Poly pool who were asked for ID last summer. When they couldn't produce it, they were asked to leave. The "guests" didn't make a big fuss. They seemed embarrassed to be caught and kind of slunk out. By the time security got to our section, we already had our room keys out and in plain view, so they walked on by.:confused3

I wish they had done this during our stays at the Poly.

I think they might be more strict about it during the hotter summer months and the monorail resorts are a lot easier for pool hopping so I am guessing they get a lot of folks from the parks wanting to cool off for an hour or 2 before going back into MK. So my guess would be Poly, GF and CR are going to be a bit more watched than say AKL or WL ...simply due to the monorails.
Have to agree. I've been to WDW at every time of year....at all level of resort. I haven't seen anyone 'carded' from Nov-April. But, I have seen it in mid-June, August and Sept. If the pool is busy, or if someone has reported a group to the lifeguards, the lifeguards will come around, asking everyone to show an ID. I have seen people asked to leave at both the Volcano Pool at the Polynesian, as well as Luna Park at BW.
But, at SAB, where you are supposed to have wrist bands, in order to use the pool, I have seen many guests without those on. Drives me nuts...I have to squeeze into a hugely crowded area, in order to get three seats together, and there are large groups with no bands on at all. I realize that many kids hate those wrist bands, but still...a rule is a rule.

Not that your grandson was up to any mischief, but it's probably not a bad policy for the guards to let all teenage boys know that they are on the radar.

I agree. I know my son (who is almost 15) has been asked by lifeguards before at OKW and other resorts "you are staying here right?". He's a good kid but when he's alone, away from us, he seems to get targeted more in the way of lifeguards asking him questions!

It was VERY hot when we stayed there :lmao:

I wonder how non guests use the bathrooms?
We did not use them ourselves but when we took a little stroll in the evening we did see that to get in the bathrooms you need your resort key.

Defiantley NOT encouraging pool hoping. And I wanted to be specific because the Pool hoping "issue" is s sperate debate that has been argued ad-naseu and Storm Along Bay now employs the wrist band so that is an obvious one.

It simply came from a debate where I figured you had a be a total druken fool or obviously stand out in some way. I see that is not the case and I find it very interesting.

It was VERY hot when we stayed there :lmao:

I wonder how non guests use the bathrooms?
We did not use them ourselves but when we took a little stroll in the evening we did see that to get in the bathrooms you need your resort key.

I guess that's another way the resorts make non guest *run* from the area :rotfl2:
To be honest I would want the bathroom's in the pool area accessed by EVERYONE ... the alternate is just plain GROSS :rotfl2:

I always thought some pool hopping was alowed.:confused3 Besides that fact, i know non WDW guests do somehow sneak in to use the pools. Last January friends of mine came across a local resident but non guest having a medical condition at one of the pools. He did not want anybody to be notified because he did not belong there.

We stayed at YC a couple weeks ago for a week and I was asked to show my room key at the entrance. I don't mind that a bit. The pool is for people who pay to stay at that resort.

We stayed at YC a couple weeks ago for a week and I was asked to show my room key at the entrance. I don't mind that a bit. The pool is for people who pay to stay at that resort.

:thumbsup2

I am not a picky rule follower at Disney ~ I don't care if you re use your refillable mugs or try to sneak extra people in your room or any of that crap but stay in your own resort pool thank you :hippie:

If you want to pool hop at the WL then pay the money to stay there. There is nothing worse than paying $400 a night for your resort to have the pool packed with non resident guest. It seriously stinks.

Been going to WDW for over 19 years, multiple times a year, stayed at almost every single resort, have never ever been ID'd, never seen anyone removed and was actually guilty of pool hopping myself..back in 91 my inlaws were on site and we were offsite and we spent the day with them at the CBR...no one ever questioned us at all...but I would not do it again

We have been asked once and that was a few days before Christmas day in Dec 2005 at the Wilderness Lodge. The temperature was a cool 65 degrees and my wife and myself were lying in the lounge chairs when we were asked. There was hardly anyone at the pool area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter