"Get this written or it won't be a PRE!"-Our Slightly MAD!!! PRE-Trip Report!

ksimpson

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone. This is our first EVER Pre-Trip Report! We've never done a TR at all! So, I do hope you will enjoy tagging along with us as we prepare for another fantastical adventure at our most favorite place on the planet! Before we spill the beans on our itinerary, let's get you up to date on the what's what, and who's who:

So, we started planning and paying for our September trip sometime around March and until this morning (only 3 days til we depart), for me the anticipation hadn't really taken hold. But it's finally beginning to sink in and the excitement is turning these last couple of days into a torturous count-down frenzy. You know, the already-looking-at-the-clock-a-dozen-times-an-hour kind of countdown! Yes, I know that sounds ludicrous to most people, but if you are on here reading trip reports...chances are you are all too familiar with these emotions, lol! So, without any further adieu, let me tell you who WE are:

Me- Kevin - 34, husband to my best friend and Disney partner-in-crime, and seeker of every-day hidden Mickeys (just for fun)
IMAG1248.jpg

Monica - (doesn't tell her age and is a threat to my very existence if I were to break this golden rule), my beautiful wife and the reason I have this ridiculous obsession with all things Disney!

IMAG2677.jpg

No children to speak of yet, except for 3 four-legged ones that will be spending the week in the comfort of home with a close friend as their sitter who happens to be one of my wife's best friends.

28777_386301938060_576468060_4021309_4352652_n.jpg

Here we are from MNSSHP with the Cadaver Dans (Dapper Dans) in 2008

100_7004.jpg

Yes, we're the ones dressed like we just escaped from the Hall of Presidents...(we were actually asked that too)

Before I continue with our upcoming trip, I will attempt to briefly lead you up to where we are now...

This is actually MY first trip back to the World in 2 years! My DW has revisited thrice since then. Not fair, right? My thoughts exactly...until I REALLY thought about it, and had the roles been reversed I can't honestly say that I wouldn't have done the same thing! Anyway, to make a long story short, we had a trip planned for August of last year to stay @ AKV for an entire week and had to cancel at the very last minute due to a construction project that I was right in the middle of and had no way of having someone cover my duties. It was absolutely one of the WORST let-downs either of us could've experienced at this time. For quite some time after, things were pretty glum and the disappointment seemed to grow each day. We didn't even have a preliminary trip in planning phase or any sort of idea of when we would be able to go back together! For me, I had hit the Disney dry spell, but my wife was able to feed her need with a couple of small trips down with friends. This even helped me some...to see my wife be able to enjoy some Disney time since she had nothing to do with the cancellation of last year's anniversary trip.

So, we make it through the holiday season and into the first of the new year. Just a few short weeks later, we decide to take another gander at it, set a date, and began the expedition of planning this very trip! I feel as though the end-result of our previously failed trip had more of an impact on me than I had initially realized. I guess you could say that I have had somewhat of a reserved expectation and have even entertained doubts due to the lingering disappointment from last year. Well, I'm more than delighted to let all of you know that, for reasons unexplained, I woke up today and felt overwhelming excitement and utter anticipation for the first time in quite a while!! IT'S HERE, WE'RE REALLY GOING, AND...I...JUST...CAN'T...WAIT...MUCH...LONGER!!!

If you're still reading, GREAT, cause we've finally arrived at the part you all want to hear about...what in the World we are going to do!!
To start out, we are fortunate enough to live in Greenville, SC and due to that fact, we always opt to drive the 9 to 10 hours as opposed to flying. We rather enjoy the drive down and have our usual stops along the way. You may think we're bonkers, but we typically leave around 2:30a the day we are to check in and drive most of the way through the early morning hours. Our reasoning for this consists of several factors:

1. The nighttime and morning cooler temps are much better on the vehicle.
2. Considerably less traffic to deal with on I-95 and larger cities.
3. We enjoy stopping at the Florida visitors center to sip on some free Orange Juice!
4. We have strategically timed it to pass through St. Augustine just as the Disney Outlet is opening for a nice little souvenir stop.
5. IT'S MUCH MORE FUN TO ARRIVE BEFORE CHECK-IN AND RUSH TO A PARK THAN TO GET THERE IN THE EVENING WHEN EVERYTHING IS BEGINNING TO CLOSE, LOL!

Yes, we DO actually fill you all in on our crazy schedule, just go back to the thread board and look for part 2!

We've only got 2 DAYS LEFT to get this Pre-TR done, or it will turn into an actual TR! Ohh kaay! I'm too excited thinking about leaving as I type! Well, so far here is what our itinerary consists of, and we've actually started to keep in a more "go-with-the-flow" mindset than we used to...Coo coo cachoo (just ridin along the EAC...or should I say WDW). Anyhoo, if you're still with us, here is what we have planned so far:

DAY 1: SATURDAY, 9/17-Driving day/Check in @BLT.

No ADRs this day

This particular driving schedule usually has us arriving at our Disney resort some time between 12-1p, depending on what kind of traffic we run into on I-4 through Orlando, and we will be checking into Bay Lake Tower for the very first time! Woohoo!:woohoo: And a MK view Studio! :worship:

And since we are staying so close to MK, yep, you guessed it, once we fill up a memory card with pics of the room and resort, we will be heading straight to the park to kick off the magic! Usually we stay at the park til closing but circumstances call for a special blend of magic...we plan to head back to the room around 8 so that we can watch the EWP and Wishes from the balcony of our room!!!:lovestruc

Then, for the last few moments before we crash, we will attempt to put out some of our Halloween decorations in the room (yep, we are some of "those" people).

DAY 2: SUNDAY, 9/18-MK Day

ADRs-Ohana 5:20 (dinner)

After waking up to a so-so view...OR THE MOST SPECTACULARLARLY, AMAZING VIEW EVER...the MAGIC KINGDOM!:cloud9: we plan to see if we can find some coffee (DW has to have her coffee!) and take a leisurely stroll back to MK for park opening (will most likely turn into an all-out sprint to the gate!) so that we can hopefully catch the MK Opening show, which DW loves so much. Then, possibly get a little breakfast (cinnamon roll from Main Street Bakery anyone?) and it's off to get lost in a world full of fun! We'll probably do an early CS lunch @ either Gasparilla Grille or Captain Cooks. We want to take an early afternoon break back at BLT before we take the Monorail over to the Poly for a 5:20 dinner @ O'hana:lovestruc. After dinner, it's back to the MK for evening EMH til 1a!!

DAY 3: MONDAY, 9/19- DHS

ADRs-Kona Cafe 1:35 (lunch)

We hope to be up to experience park opening @ DHS and grab FPs for TSM, and maybe a quick breakfast @ Starring Rolls. DW keeps talking about how great the cupcakes are from here, and judging by the pic of this Butterfinger cupcake, I'm sold:

100MEDIA_IMAG2286.jpg

DW has a friend who is a CM in DHS, who she just went down to see last month (I know right!?) so if she's working then we'll stop by to see her on our way to ride STAR TOURS!!!!!! Now, my DW, having JUST been down to visit her friend who works at DHS HAS had the chance to ride the new ST, but me...well I've just been left out! :sad2: BUT NOT THIS TIME! I've heard great things about it, so I'm ready to experience it for myself!:yay: DW also wants me to do the character drawing in the Animation Building, which is something only she has done with her niece, and they loved it, so we'll see. We'll leave from DHS, and head to the Poly again for lunch @ Kona Cafe and then back to BLT for a little R & R. Then it's back to DHS for evening EMH til 1a. We'll break for dinner more than likely @ Toy Story Pizza Planet (our favorite CS for this park!).

And so far, that's our Days 1, 2, and 3! So what do you think so far?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to write a possibly "better" TR? Just curious:)

So we're up to day 4, and if I don't hurry up and complete our quick Pre-trip report, then it might be too late, since we leave TOMORROW NIGHT!!!:cool1:

DAY 4: TUESDAY, 9/20- Epcot/MNSSHP!

ADRs- Le Cellier 1:15 (lunch)

I should probably go ahead and warn you all that my DW has done one dinging review from a previous trip, so odds are she'll be doing dining reviews from this trip as well, and I don't blame her, since we will be eating at places we've never eaten at before, and heard great things about! We HAVE eaten at Le Cellier, and it's one of our FAVS, (as is 'Ohana) but we've only done dinner, so since it's still a 1 table service, we went for lunch. Well, this day is probably the most anticipated and dreaded days of our trip! How, you ask? Well, this is the day we transfer to another resort and leave our beautiful MK view room...only to find ourselves looking out over the Savannah from our balcony @ AKV! And it's also the day we attend MNSSHP!! And yes, we are dressing up!!

First to back up a little, we will start the morning off with a quick breakfast from the Contempo Cafe and have our luggage sent to AKV for when we arrive later. Next, we plan to hop over to EPCOT for a few attractions or country touring and enjoy our 1:15 ADR @ LeCellier:lovestruc After lunch, we'll move on over to AKV to take care of check-in and make sure our luggage has made it's way to the room. Again, pics of room and resort while we rest before getting dressed for the 'party!' Ok, I wasn't going to tell you, but we are dressing as the Mad Hatter and the White Queen:goodvibes Very stoked about our costumes since DW happens to work at a year-round costume shop! Once in costume it's off to MK for the MNSSHP for treats, rides, treats, maybe @ CS dinner, treats, pics with characters in their costumes and characters you rarely ever see, candy, Hallowishes, treats, the smell of the parade and did I mention candy and treats?

DAY 5: WEDNESDAY, 9/21- AK Day

ADRs- Jiko 7:10 (dinner)

Finally hope we make it to AK for morning EMH @ 8a and spend the entire day there til park closing where we have a clear view of EE across the water! We try to take in as much of this park as possible by strolling through the paths to see all the animals and checking out what's happening at Rafiki's Planet Watch along with our must-do rides and shows (which last time I checked our list, consisted of everything in the park, lol!) And to enjoy our early night in, we squeezed in a 7:10 ressie for Jiko! We'll call it a date night, I believe.

So, there's two more days we've planned. Even though this is a very LAST MINUTE Pre TR, I feel as though writing it all down is just making it all the more fun! Looks like I may try to get the last couple of days done, and then we'll be heading down before we know it!

Feel free to comment on anything:)

Just three more days to go! Trying not to think about how fast it will go by, so lets focus on the plans for the next day;)

DAY 6: THURSDAY, 9/22-MK or Epcot/DHS
ADRs- Sci-Fi 6:30 (dinner)

So we may change things up this morning and have a sit-down breakfast @ Boma before going back to MK or EPCOT (which will be my vote if I get the chance) for a few hours. We've had dinner there and loved it, and heard good things about breakfast, so figured we'd give it a chance. We may go back to AKV to have a look around the resort for a bit before we head back over to DHS for a 6:30 ressie @ Sci-Fi ,along with a showing of Fantasmic! to wrap up the evening. This should put us back at the resort fairly early to kick back on our balcony and see what creatures might be lurking around the Savannah. If it works ok, we might try to get some video with the cam-corder set on night mode so that we don't bother the animals with a flash. We shall see...

DAY 7: FRIDAY, 9/23- Epcot!
ADRs- Chefs de France 1:20 (lunch...with Remy?)

This happens to be our EPCOT day...ALL DAY!! WAHOO!:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo: I can already tell you that we will stick to our usual plan when entering the park in the morning...follow the MAD rush to The Land, go straight to the FP turnstiles for Soarin and snatch one before jumping in the stand-by line for our first ride of the day! Then we'll try to hit some of the other attractions in FW before taking a stroll to Chefs de France to have our lunch with Remy, if he's around. Since EPCOT will be open til midnight, we will most likely slide onto a couple more rides in FW on our way back out of the park and take an afternoon break back at the resort and view some of our four-legged neighbors again in broad daylight. When we get back to EPCOT, we get to focus more on the countries since this is the area we want to be in for Illuminations anyway. Seems to be a pretty good strategy for this park on a long day, but we usually keep our schedule fairly flexible and not so firm for those just-in-case situations.

DAY 8: SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 24 (And our dreaded departure day...):sad1:
No ADRs

Our last day...the dread of loading the car before saying goodbye to our 'home' and sulkily heading over to MK for one last time this trip. We'll attempt to soak in as much of the magic to take home with us as humanly possible and probably have our last meal @ Columbia Harbor House upstairs looking out the window toward Haunted Mansion and the Liberty Bell.

Since we drive, our set time to leave is usually around 1pm, but to this date, I don't think we've ever made it out before 3p. But if I were to set the time @ 3p instead, we probably wouldn't be on the road until well after 5p and I don't trust my own driving after midnight unless I've had a long, healthy nap sometime that afternoon. Not even 20 energy drinks help me out once my body decides to shut down, lol! My DW's teary eyes should start to dry up by the time we make it across the Georgia state line, at which point we will continue talking about all of our favorite experiences from this trip and when we want to go back! Gotta start planning our next trip! DW will make sure of that, and I don't mind one bit:)

This is a 'brief' summary of our trip so far, and as I said earlier, things could always change and we usually allow wiggle room to make needed adjustments to our plans. Looks like we're ready to go! I've enjoyed writing our first Pre-TR, and I hope you all will give us thoughts on our plans, and STAY TUNED for the TP that will follow when we return (oh and keep a weather eye out for my DW's (southern_belle21) Dining Reviews as well! We can't wait!

Well, looks like this was a boring PTR:laughing:, oh well! Guess I'll get the mods to movie it to the completed PTRs! Hopefully our TR will be a lot more fun than this. We're taking off tonight! See everyone when we return!

Well, looks like this was a boring PTR:laughing:, oh well! Guess I'll get the mods to movie it to the completed PTRs! Hopefully our TR will be a lot more fun than this. We're taking off tonight! See everyone when we return!

Can't wait to read all about your trip! You guys have a great time! I was tempted to take off today with the hubby and 3 kids for a last minute long-weekend getaway then I came to my senses and decided I would plan one for the first of the year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter