• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

*Get* a GAC!

gingerblue

Earning My Ears
I have Spina Bifida and while I am mobile (I can walk short distances, stand up for short periods of time) I own my own scooter and bring it with me to the parks. I also have some issues with my bladder.

My advice is this- no matter what you read, what you hear, what anyone else tells you- as soon as you go to your first park on your first day at Disney - GET YOURSELF (or your family member) a GAC (Guest Assistance Card) at the Guest Services. I have gone to Disney numerous times without it and the last several times I have gotten a GAC and it has made a TREMENDOUS difference. It only takes a few minutes to get one, and it can make a huge difference on your trip. There IS a reason why Disney provides them, so please make use of that service that Disney offers.

The cast members DO look at it EVERY time we pull the GAC out, and even if I pull up in the scooter, once they see my GAC and look at it, they almost always try and accommodate me as much as possible. It really does make a huge difference. Even if you think you won't need additional assistance get a GAC just in case. Being young and mobile I like to do everything myself, and consider myself able to do everything at Disney, but there are times when I am offered a service at an attraction that does help a lot, like an extra second to get into a vehicle or a way to pass "standing for several minutes" preshows, etc.

Once a lady pulled up in a scooter behind me and the cast member redirected her to another line and then told her she HAD to get a GAC for ANY services at all, including being directed to alternate entrances.

I know there is a lot of different opinions about this, but if you are truly disabled or have a health issue (even one that is not visible), or have a child with a medical problem, just go and get a GAC. It takes only a few moments and makes a world of a difference at Disney. A scooter or wheelchair is no longer enough to get extra assistance at Disney attractions simply because ECVs/wheelchairs have almost become a vehicle of convenience for quite a few Disney guests instead of being a necessity.

By the way- when you are done with your Disney trip, don't toss or scrapbook your GAC. The next time you go you can "trade it in" for an exact replacement so you don't have to explain your medical condition over and over. That was a tip I was told the first time I was given my card.

Get a GAC- Disney provides them for a reason and no matter what anyone tells you, they DO make a difference.

(Just wanted to share my opinion.)

I agree with you that it's just easier to get the GAC and be done with it, but I'm surprised you were told that nothing could be done without one. I'm curious to see what everyone else has to say, particularly Sue and KPev..

I don't have time to write much, but since most lines are mainstreamed, they are accessible to wheelchairs and ECVs.

IF someone has a wheelchair, ECV, walker or other mobility device and needs an accessible line, entrance or boarding area, they do not need a GAC to use those lines, entrances or boarding areas.
The majority of guests are in that situation and need nothing more than the ECV, wheelchair, walker or mobility device and the 'usual' accessible way in.
The majority of people do not need any extra assistance just because they have a wheelchair, walker or ECV and do not need a GAC.

If guests have other needs that are not met just by being able to bring their mobility device into lines, then they should discuss their needs with the CMs at Guest Relations.

Also, the hint about saving the old GAC does not necessarily mean you will not have to explain your needs again. It depends on the CM. From what CMs at Guest Relations have told me, they are supposed to ask what the needs are and whether the needs have changed. So, you may get asked or you may not.

I agree, definitely get a GAC if you need them to do anything other than let you in the line with a wheelchair or ECV. You do NOT need a GAC to use the lines with a wheelchair or ECV.

The CM in your story did the correct thing - lines are accessible, so she should NOT have been directed to do anything other than enter the stand-by line (or FP if she has FPs).

If you have any need other than the need to use your wc, then by all means, get a GAC! I get one to use in addition to my wheelchair because I have invisible needs that my wheelchair alone does not meet!

BTW, if you go to Guest Relations and ask for a GAC to use your wheelchairs in lines, they will say you do not need one - I have actually gone to each park and asked before my condition progressed and I needed the GAC.

KPeveler said:
The CM in your story did the correct thing - lines are accessible, so she should NOT have been directed to do anything other than enter the stand-by line (or FP if she has FPs).
::yes::
You are supposed to always use whatever is listed in the Guide for Guests with Disabilities as the accessible line without having a GAC.
Someone expecting to use something other than what is listed in the Guide as the "Mobility Access" would need a GAC.
BTW, if you go to Guest Relations and ask for a GAC to use your wheelchairs in lines, they will say you do not need one - I have actually gone to each park and asked before my condition progressed and I needed the GAC.
::yes::
And, if you insist and will not leave Guest Relations without one, they will give you a GAC that allows you to use the wheelchair accessible lines. Which is what you can do with the wheelchair without a GAC.

For the OP, the reason they look at the GAC when you drive up in your scooter is that the purpose of the GAC is to clue the CMs in to the fact that there is something else going on besides what is visible.
A scooter is visible and the CMs should route you to the accessible entrance/boarding (which in many cases is just the regular line) or Fastpass line, if the guest has a Fastpass.
Since you have a GAC and it is in view, the CMs are supposed to look at it so that they know anything on it says you will need something other than the accessible line/boarding for that attraction.

I have been fortunate enough to have never even considered getting a GAC, but this upcoming trip may be different--I honestly don't know. I am taking my 81 year old Mother, who has moderate Alzheimer's--but we can handle that. Her knees are the issue. She won't use a wheelchair (and is fine if we just walk slowly--which is difficult for "commando" me, though I'll do it for her) but I am concerned about her balance on any attraction with the moving walkway (such as Haunted Mansion, Peter Pan, Spaceship Earth). Those are the only rides which worry me---oh, and climbing the steps in Toy Story Mania. Would a GAC help with those rides at all?

A GAC would help with avoiding stairs and with boarding at the accessible area where moving walkways can be stopped ( but it can't be stopped on Peter Pan or Tomorrowland Transit Authority). All others can be slowed or stopped, including Haunted Mansion if you are not boarding at the 'usual' boarding spot. You would need a GAC allowing you to use the wheelchair accessible entrances if she will not be using a mobility device.
You will also need to explain what she needs in terms of the moving walkways. For most people slowing it is enough and thst is what is done. If she needs it slower, speak up.

GACs will generally not shorten the distance walked, so you may want to rethink dome ways to get her to accept a wheelchair. Maybe explaining she would be helping you by holding your bag or something. Some people often do well with a rollator - it's a walker with wheels and a seat. With one of those, she would not probably need a GAC because she would be using the accessible areas and she would also have a place to sit.

A GAC would help with avoiding stairs and with boarding at the accessible area where moving walkways can be stopped ( but it can't be stopped on Peter Pan or Tomorrowland Transit Authority). All others can be slowed or stopped, including Haunted Mansion if you are not boarding at the 'usual' boarding spot. You would need a GAC allowing you to use the wheelchair accessible entrances if she will not be using a mobility device.
You will also need to explain what she needs in terms of the moving walkways. For most people slowing it is enough and thst is what is done. If she needs it slower, speak up.

GACs will generally not shorten the distance walked, so you may want to rethink dome ways to get her to accept a wheelchair. Maybe explaining she would be helping you by holding your bag or something. Some people often do well with a rollator - it's a walker with wheels and a seat. With one of those, she would not probably need a GAC because she would be using the accessible areas and she would also have a place to sit.

Thanks for the quick response. I am debating about getting the GAC, but those moving walkways do worry me, along with the TSM stairs. (She has fallen twice at Disney previously, but luckily not been injured.)

I respectfully disagree with most of what you've said based on over ten visits to Disney World in the last year, but I'll let people decide for themselves what they want to do. I just wanted to make sure people heard BOTH sides of the story.

I am not sure what you are disagreeing with - Disney's policy is that you do not need a GAC to access rides with a wheelchair or ECV. Every time you were asked for a GAC at a ride when you were trying to enter the line stated in the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities, you were dealing with a misinformed or badly trained CM.

You may well have needed a GAC for reasons other than taking your ECV in lines, and I am not questioning your personal need for a GAC at all. I am just stating what Disney's policy is.

btw, I am sitting next to an attractions CM right now, and just confirmed that this is indeed the policy.

I agree with you that it's just easier to get the GAC and be done with it, but I'm surprised you were told that nothing could be done without one. I'm curious to see what everyone else has to say, particularly Sue and KPev..

Throughout the first "recent" trip we took with my ECV (and without using the GAC) I had several cast members recommend that I get one. That was the only way I knew about them. I followed their advice and it made a world of difference.

I don't know. I don't "appear" disabled (although my cane is snapped to my ECV and when I walk it's apparent) so maybe they recommended it because of my appearance or because when I got up it was very apparent I had both issues with balance and walking/standing for long periods of time.

I appreciate everyone's differences in opinion, but I stand by my post- a GAC changed my Disney experience and I really recommend people get one if they even *think* it might be of use to them in any way. There's absolutely no harm in getting one.

It's a personal choice, but I feel like many people are sort of discouraging people ask for a GAC. It's available for a reason.

Your milage may vary, I guess. But like I said, it's improved my Disney experience tenfold.

I don't know. I don't "appear" disabled (although my cane is snapped to my ECV and when I walk it's apparent) so maybe they recommended it because of my appearance or because when I got up it was very apparent I had both issues with balance and walking/standing for long periods of time.

I appreciate everyone's differences in opinion, but I stand by my post- a GAC changed my Disney experience and I really recommend people get one if they even *think* it might be of use to them in any way. There's absolutely no harm in getting one.

It's a personal choice, but I feel like many people are sort of discouraging people ask for a GAC. It's available for a reason.

Your milage may vary, I guess. But like I said, it's improved my Disney experience tenfold.

Yes, if you get off the ECV and have needs such as slowing down a ramp or needing more boarding time, then you definitely need the GAC. All Sue and I were saying is that you do NOT need a GAC to enter a line with a wheelchair or ECV. If you have needs beyond that (including needs related to boarding after getting out of the ECV or WC), then you do need a GAC.

No one is discouraging anyone from getting a GAC. We are just providing information. A lot of people think the GAC is a front of the line pass or something similar. Also, people think a GAC will be handled the same way at a ride every time they go. Neither of these things are true, and that is important information to have when planning.

Yes, if you get off the ECV and have needs such as slowing down a ramp or needing more boarding time, then you definitely need the GAC. All Sue and I were saying is that you do NOT need a GAC to enter a line with a wheelchair or ECV. If you have needs beyond that (including needs related to boarding after getting out of the ECV or WC), then you do need a GAC.

I agree with this 100%. It's NOT a fast pass. And it's not for simple health issues. But it's a useful tool that might change a person's Disney experience.

I guess what I was trying to say is this: you have any health concerns AT ALL besides simply needing an ECV/wheelchair (balance problems, heart issues, lung issues, bladder issues, kidney issues, sun allergies, etc.) please don't hesitate to get yourself a GAC and use it. Don't hesitate to go to Guest Relations and request one.

I apologize profusely if I offended anyone, especially the forum experts- I appreciate all the hard work that has gone into the FAQs and the thoroughness of the issues covered. But I have spoken to so many disabled people at Disney and outside of Disney who could have used a GAC during their visit and had no idea it existed or that it would have benefited them.

I agree with this 100%. It's NOT a fast pass. And it's not for simple health issues. But it's a useful tool that might change a person's Disney experience.

I guess what I was trying to say is this: you have any health concerns AT ALL besides simply needing an ECV/wheelchair (balance problems, heart issues, lung issues, bladder issues, kidney issues, sun allergies, etc.) please don't hesitate to get yourself a GAC and use it. Don't hesitate to go to Guest Relations and request one.

I apologize profusely if I offended anyone, especially the forum experts- I appreciate all the hard work that has gone into the FAQs and the thoroughness of the issues covered. But I have spoken to so many disabled people at Disney and outside of Disney who could have used a GAC during their visit and had no idea it existed or that it would have benefited them.

I agree - I use a wheelchair AND get a GAC. I feel like I have about 412 diagnoses (sorry, very frustrated with doctors right now!), and a wheelchair just does not cover all of them anymore.

The only point I disagree slightly on is that I think if a person is unsure of what their needs may be (as in, they are going for the first time after getting sick or had a change in their condition), try the park for a short while first. You can always get a GAC later. If a person cannot describe what their needs are, the CMs won't know what kind of GAC to issue. What I mean is that walking up and saying "I am epileptic" will not help them, but if you are walking around the park and just found out that your meds make you sun sensitive, then you can always go back to Guest Relations and get a GAC to avoid queues in the sun.

A lot of the attitude on this board is to get the GAC if you need it, by all means, but do not count on it as your lifeline. Things get handled differently often, and sometimes policy changes when you are halfway through a trip!

KPeveler said:
btw, I am sitting next to an attractions CM right now, and just confirmed that this is indeed the policy.
Huh? What in the world (no pun intended) are you doing posting from vacation? :teeth:

I agree - I use a wheelchair AND get a GAC. I feel like I have about 412 diagnoses (sorry, very frustrated with doctors right now!), and a wheelchair just does not cover all of them anymore.

The only point I disagree slightly on is that I think if a person is unsure of what their needs may be (as in, they are going for the first time after getting sick or had a change in their condition), try the park for a short while first. You can always get a GAC later. If a person cannot describe what their needs are, the CMs won't know what kind of GAC to issue. What I mean is that walking up and saying "I am epileptic" will not help them, but if you are walking around the park and just found out that your meds make you sun sensitive, then you can always go back to Guest Relations and get a GAC to avoid queues in the sun.

A lot of the attitude on this board is to get the GAC if you need it, by all means, but do not count on it as your lifeline. Things get handled differently often, and sometimes policy changes when you are halfway through a trip!

I'm so sorry doctors are not able to zero in with what's going on with you and give you a good, focused treatment. That's truly horrible. Spina Bifida is similar- there's a HUGE spectrum of conditions that go along with it and life is full of LOTS of surprises. A good day is when nothing new and scary is happening and it sounds like that's what you are going through :(

And you are absolutely right- if it's possible, it's better to see what your challenges are after going through the park for a little bit. My only addition to that suggestion would be once you figure out what you (or your loved ones) *do* need, don't hesitate to stop at Guest Services and discuss it with them and see if there's something they can do to help. Until the CM told me "hey, you should get a GAC" it never occurred to me at all that I would even need something like that. I truly thought my ECV and cane made it evident enough, but how could a CM know there's more going on besides me not being able to walk far or very fast? For instance, I had no idea walkways could be slowed (moving walkways + no balance = a scarier experience than any roller coaster in the world). And I'm sure there's other things that can be offered for people with health issues that I'm not even aware of.

Another thing- sometimes if you "check in" using a GAC at an attraction entrance, the cast member will call ahead to the loading area and they will be a little more prepared than if you simply coast through the line. On some attractions, disabled guests who come in the alternate entrance are given a special vehicle (whether they can transfer to a regular ride vehicle or not) or the ride vehicle might need to be redirected to the alternate loading area. Or you might need to be met by a cast member at some point in the line so you can get your wheelchair/ECV through the line to the alternate entrance (Splash Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain). Before my GAC I always drove my ECV straight through to the stairs on Splash Mountain and then had to backtrack and try to figure out which turn to make (I was mortified both times this happened- it's just that we get into lines and then I follow the herd of people moving forward and forget to keep an eye out for the little disability icons), but once I got the GAC there has almost always been someone waiting to "break" the chain in the right place to guide me in the right direction. But it all depends on cast members, individual attractions, and how swamped the attraction is.

GACs are definitely a "your mileage may vary" thing. But it's definitely a blessing for those who legitimately need it.

:confused3 Is this available anywhere except Kali River Rapids at Walt Disney World?

Depends on if you have FP or not, I guess, since some of the FP lines go to stairs. I've experienced it on Toy Story Mania- we are almost always are loaded on the side since the regular FP line goes to the stairs. I've also been brought to an alternate entrance for Tower of Terror- I think we rode an elevator (a REAL one that doesn't rocket down!) up to the regular loading area, but they were ready and waiting for us since a CM called to let them know we were headed their way.

Ah, okay, I've only been on TSMM once and didn't need the car taken off-line; but the alternate entrance to Tower of Terror didn't strike me as the ride vehicle being redirected.

I know the Grizzly River ride at DCA is set up like Kali, where a raft is captured in a non-moving nook for easy boarding where necessary; and I know Space Mountain at Disneyland has a rocket they can take off-line so Guests who need extra boarding time can have it without delaying the entire attraction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter