Germany tour

kidslovemickey

Earning My Ears
Hi all! My parents are considering the Germany tour. One question they had was if they have to do the bike tour, or is there another option? Neither one of them are bike people and would rather skip that. Thanks for any help!!

We have been on other ABD trips and "opted" out of the set tour selected and the guides were quite fine with that. In Alaska we skipped the days activity and decided to tour Denali Park and they even dropped us off at the tour bus stop for the park and made sure that we were picked up after the tour finished. The guides do go above and beyond making sure you are happy so long as your choice does not infringe on the time schedule of the trip.

We are doing Germany in June and my DD is not a bike rider either. I asked my TA what other options were and she said they have a ferry ride on the lake instead. I'll find out for sure in June and am planning on doing a trip report when we get home.

We are doing Germany in June and my DD is not a bike rider either. I asked my TA what other options were and she said they have a ferry ride on the lake instead. I'll find out for sure in June and am planning on doing a trip report when we get home.

Looking forward to your trip report! We are taking that trip in July! :-)

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Hi all! My parents are considering the Germany tour. One question they had was if they have to do the bike tour, or is there another option? Neither one of them are bike people and would rather skip that. Thanks for any help!!

My 80year old Mom and I did not bike on our Germany trip. It was fall and the trail was full of leaves with a light rain that day so trail was slippery. We found this out after the bike ride was over from those who did bike. There were 3 of us who opted out. There was no planned extra activity for us but the bus driver took us to a local grocery store so we could buy our good chocolates and wine. Then we went back to meet the bikers and have a nice lunch-I think archery was that afternoon after the bike ride at the same place as lunch. It was a camp ground and slow season so I don't think they had other options available when we traveled. I guess I would be proactive and assume there is an option other than biking so they line something up for you. Have a wonderful trip-we loved it.

I'm not a bike rider either. When our family took the Germany ABD in June 2011, I rode on the ferry, while my husband and daughter rode bikes. It was a pleasant cruise around the lake, and the ferry had indoor and outdoor seating. We picked up the bikers after their ride so we all ended up together.

So is it a choice between biking or ferry ride? The way I read the itinerary, I thought they were two separate activities. I would want to do both! Lol. ;-)

So is it a choice between biking or ferry ride? The way I read the itinerary, I thought they were two separate activities. I would want to do both! Lol. ;-)

On our tour, the ferry picked up the bicyclists after their ride, then we all rode together on the ferry to our lunch location. It's a shorter ferry trip for the bicyclists, but you still get a ride!

On our tour, the ferry picked up the bicyclists after their ride, then we all rode together on the ferry to our lunch location. It's a shorter ferry trip for the bicyclists, but you still get a ride!

Oh good! Lol. We missed a chance to go down the Seine in Paris, so we were hoping to get another chance on a European river. Lol :-D

Why did you miss the Batobus on the Seine? :(

Sayhello

Ha! Yes the Germany ferry is on a lake, not a river. Oops. Lol

In Paris the ride down the Seine was not a group activity. We were given tickets to use on OYO time. We had a very busy day at Notre Dame and the Louvre and decided to pack our things and catch our breath before the finale dinner. It was a wise move, as we had time to "close the bar" that last evening with our new friends and not need to go back to our room to pack for our early flight the next day.

Of course, NOW we have reason to return to Paris! Lol

I found this on
lonelyplanet.com

Taxes & refunds

Prices for goods and services include a value-added tax (VAT), called Mehrwertsteuer, which is 19% for regular goods and 7% for food and books. If your permanent residence is outside the European Union, you can have a large portion of the VAT refunded, provided you shop at a store displaying the ‘Tax-Free for Tourists’ sign and obtain a tax-free form for your purchase from the sales clerk. At the airport, show this form, your unused goods and your receipt to a custom official before checking your luggage. The customs official will stamp the form, which you can then take straight to the cash refund office at the airport.

I found this on
lonelyplanet.com

Taxes & refunds

Prices for goods and services include a value-added tax (VAT), called Mehrwertsteuer, which is 19% for regular goods and 7% for food and books. If your permanent residence is outside the European Union, you can have a large portion of the VAT refunded, provided you shop at a store displaying the ‘Tax-Free for Tourists’ sign and obtain a tax-free form for your purchase from the sales clerk. At the airport, show this form, your unused goods and your receipt to a custom official before checking your luggage. The customs official will stamp the form, which you can then take straight to the cash refund office at the airport.
This is true in a lot of Europe (such as England & France). The problem I've come across it that the line at the airport can be HORRENDOUSLY long. And you have to do it *before* checking in or going through security. I'd give yourself an extra 2 hours just to get your VAT back. And then 2 hours to get through check-in and security.

Some countries, you can apply for a refund as soon as you get home, via mail, as long as you have the forms and do it within a certain period of time.

Harrod's refunded the VAT for me, but, without telling me, deducted 30% of my refund as a fee.

Sayhello

This is true in a lot of Europe (such as England & France). The problem I've come across it that the line at the airport can be HORRENDOUSLY long. And you have to do it *before* checking in or going through security. I'd give yourself an extra 2 hours just to get your VAT back. And then 2 hours to get through check-in and security.

Some countries, you can apply for a refund as soon as you get home, via mail, as long as you have the forms and do it within a certain period of time.

Harrod's refunded the VAT for me, but, without telling me, deducted 30% of my refund as a fee.

Sayhello

We ran into the same problem at the airport and just threw our hands up and said C.O.D.T. (cost of doing the tour)...:rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter