Germany: Once Upon a Fairytale Meets Thread

Is it better to take cash, euro, or credit card? What is a good mix?

If you have a no fee ATM, take that and get your euros at the bank when you get there. Try not to go to the exchange at the airport. It is expensive. Take out about 400 euros at a time and get more as you use it up.

Definitely, take a no foreign transaction fee credit card.

We brought US dollars and never used them.

Just arrived home last evening .... What a tremendous trip!!! Our weather was PERFECT the ENTIRE time, although a few days did get a bit hot. No rain at all and I never wore a sweater or jacket. Words just can't describe the beauty of Germany. And the FOOD was better than I could imagine. Our guides were Frankie & Stephanie - two world class angels ! Love them to pieces ! We had a terrific group and laughed all week. Most nights a group of us went out afterwards to the local haunts. "Table for ten, please"! Lol

If anyone has any specific questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them if I can!

Now reality sets in and LAUNDRY!!! :-)

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Just arrived home last evening .... What a tremendous trip!!! Our weather was PERFECT the ENTIRE time, although a few days did get a bit hot. No rain at all and I never wore a sweater or jacket. Words just can't describe the beauty of Germany. And the FOOD was better than I could imagine. Our guides were Frankie & Stephanie - two world class angels ! Love them to pieces ! We had a terrific group and laughed all week. Most nights a group of us went out afterwards to the local haunts. "Table for ten, please"! Lol

If anyone has any specific questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them if I can!

Now reality sets in and LAUNDRY!!! :-)

So glad you had such a good time! Looking forward to you Report! :)

Sayhello

Just arrived home last evening .... What a tremendous trip!!!

Can't wait to hear more details about your trip!!! Any recommendations for shopping and dining during time on your own? I'm glad you had such a wonderful time!

Laurie

Can't wait to hear more details about your trip!!! Any recommendations for shopping and dining during time on your own? I'm glad you had such a wonderful time!

Laurie

Hi Laurie!

We enjoyed all our meals the entire trip - as proven by the 10 extra pounds I brought home! ;-)

Dining on your own places that we liked:
Heidelberg : (we were in Heidelberg one day before)
Cafe Rossi
Perkeo
Crowne Plaza's Bar menu

Waldeck:
We ate at a little Italian restaurant in town, recommended by our guides. It was a taste of "country German life", as they did not speak English. Food was decent and the atmosphere was fun. A good many of our group ended up there that night. :-). Other choices were a Greek restaurant and a beirgarten, or the castle's restaurant or room service.

Rothenburg:
We went to a Beirgarten attached to a hotel that specialized in the German "pizza" called Flammkuchen. I believe it was called Reichs Kuchenmeister. We ended up returning with a group of us two nights for after dinner drinks. We are convinced our pictures must be hanging in the restaurant now - labeled "Those Crazy Americans!" Both nights we asked for "table of 10" and had a blast!

Munich:
Schuhbeck's Orlando - located across from Hofbrauhaus. We enjoyed this meal while people-watching everyone on the square.

We ate outside everywhere. The weather was perfect. Remember that if you choose to tip, it is usually 10 % and you have to tell the server before they run the credit card.

***We did NOT eat at the famous Hofbrauhaus, but we did walk through to see it - both in the Munich walking tour and on our own. It was much too big, too warm, too noisy, and smelled. Lol. Also found out they don't do the cooking on premise. Nothing about it was appealing, just the folklore of it.

Shopping:
Best shopping was Heidelberg and Rothenburg. Heidelberg had more "chains".
Rothenburg was by far the best shopping for all things "German". Plus, that is the most time on your own for shopping. We splurged on a beautiful handmade cuckoo clock that will be shipped home. The Christmas store gave 3% discount. If you find a Steiff teddy bear in a Rothenburg shop that you love, buy it there and don't wait for the Steiff factory tour. The gift shop at Steiff changes their inventory and they do not ship back to the states. DD20 found one she loved in Rothenburg, then bought another at the factory. Not much free time at all in Munich, so don't wait for shopping there, except for lederhosen & dirndls. Best prices were in Munich and the guides can tell you how to find the shop.

Hope this helps a bit!

Great information:thumbsup2 Thanks!!!!

What is Flammkuchen?

Laurie

A thin crusted pizza like dish. The traditional German recipe is with onions & bacon, which DH said was delicious. DD and I had the caprese, which was mozzarella, tomato, & basil. DD & DH shared the dessert Flammkuchen, which is cinnamon, apple and creme friesche.

Such good food on the entire trip! Never ate so much bacon in my entire life. LOLOL

Never ate so much bacon in my entire life. LOLOL

Well I am up for anything with bacon!

I thought of something else - were you the one who was talking about attending Catholic mass on the trip? If not, I apologize, but I'm pretty sure it was you. I was just wondering where you ended up and if you visited any particularly beautiful churches on the trip. Also, did you notice any religious carvings or crucifixes in your shopping expeditions? I would love to find something like that while we're there.

Laurie

Well I am up for anything with bacon!

I thought of something else - were you the one who was talking about attending Catholic mass on the trip? If not, I apologize, but I'm pretty sure it was you. I was just wondering where you ended up and if you visited any particularly beautiful churches on the trip. Also, did you notice any religious carvings or crucifixes in your shopping expeditions? I would love to find something like that while we're there.

Laurie

Yes, that was me! ;-). We arrived in Heidelberg a day early and attended Saturday evening mass at St Anna's. it was all in German and the entire congregation sang beautifully. It was a lovely experience. It was a little difficult finding a mass - apparently the front desk at the Crowne Plaza had incorrect info. We took a walk to another church and found they did not have Saturday mass. They were preparing for a baptism service and someone there gave us a list of churches in the area with mass times. Returned to the Crowne Plaza and got directions. Ended up St. Anna's was even closer!

Unfortunately, we didn't have the opportunity to attend mass the following weekend, due to the time constraints in Munich.

If I had one thing could change about the tour, it would have been an additional day in Munich!

As for shopping - I think Rothenburg had some of the items you might be looking for!

Hi Laurie!

Rothenburg:
We went to a Beirgarten attached to a hotel that specialized in the German "pizza" called Flammkuchen. I believe it was called Reichs Kuchenmeister. We ended up returning with a group of us two nights for after dinner drinks. We are convinced our pictures must be hanging in the restaurant now - labeled "Those Crazy Americans!" Both nights we asked for "table of 10" and had a blast!

Thank you very much for posting this! I just went on the Reichs Kuchenmeister website, and saw the menu, it looks fantastic! I definitely plan to go there!

Jason

Thank you very much for posting this! I just went on the Reichs Kuchenmeister website, and saw the menu, it looks fantastic! I definitely plan to go there!

Jason

It was very good. Service was slow, but we found that throughout all of Germany! Lol
We had a lot of fun returning twice for drinks and dessert with some of our tour mates. Lots of laughter!

What was your best purchase, and conversely, what do you wish you had purchased but didn't?

We bought a beautiful hand-made cuckoo clock in the Christmas shop in Rothenburg that we are waiting to be shipped home and a few Steiff bears. I wish we had bought more gummi bears! Wish we could have bought chocolate but was afraid it would melt. Wish those homemade pretzels could last, too!

Don't wait to pick up anything at the airport.... That's where I planned to stock up on gummi bears but after going through security, there are NO shops or food at the Lufthunsa gate! Only 2 vending machines that take only euros! :-(

The delta gate had two good size gift shops where we bought kinder eggs to take home!

That is what I was expecting at Lufthunsa! I wanted Kinder eggs and gummi bears as souvenirs! :-(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter