• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Germany June 2016 ABD

T Mick

Earning My Ears
Hi

Looking for other travelers that may be going to Germany June/July of 2016. Our adventure starts on the 24th of June.

For those of you who have gone on the Germany trip looking for tips on what to bring and maybe some good tips. There will 5 of us youngest being 10, my other children are young adults 21 and 25. This is also our first trip to Europe. I am getting really excited!!

Have a fantastic Day!

Terri M.

We loved this trip! Bring comfortable shoes, bathing suit, hat/sun visor, sunglasses, umbrella. Rothenburg is the best place for shopping. Many of the shops will ship home for you. We purchased a beautiful cuckoo clock that we had shipped home - I smile every day, thinking of our trip. There isn't much to do at the Waldeck castle in the evening, so you might want to plan to just relax at that time. If heat bothers you, bring a hand held fan. We visited in June 2013 - there was a heat wave!

We took the London/Paris ABD the year before, and the Central Europe ABD two years after - if you enjoy Germany, plan to take the Central Europe ABD next - lots of history meshes and really adds to the experience. DD is now quite the expert of Bavarian Princess & Empresses Elisabeth of Austria-Hungry, know as "Sisi"! Any specific questions, please let me know!

In Waldwick you are "on your own" for dinner and there are few choices to eat. The food at the castle was OK but not great. We ended up going to the local market and purchased wine, soft drinks, cheese, cold cuts and bread and had a wonderful picnic back at the castle. We did have lunch at a nice lake front restaurant the next day but it was quite a walk and all up hill on the way back. Bring lots of Euros for as Singingmom states they have great shops to buy German items. Most of the girls in our group bought the local dresses for the last dinner. There are shops in Munich where you can purchase them at a discount compared to the "authentic" outfits. It is one of ABD's best trips IMO.

We did this trip last summer, in mid-June. It was pretty warm for the entire trip (although, we did need light jackets on the bike ride)...until we got to Munich. It was 50-something and rainy the day we went to Neuschwanstein. So, be sure you bring at least one day's worth of warm clothes, and maybe a rain slicker, too.

I thought the meals that ABD provided were more than sufficient. You are on your own one night (out of two) in Waldeck (the other night, you eat at the hotel restaurant). I believe that was the day we did the bike/ferry ride and then had the "BBQ" lunch. That meal was VERY good, and it was more than enough food for the day. We did not want or need dinner that night. I thought the hotel in Waldeck had the best croissants (I fancy myself a croissant connoisseur). The hotel breakfast in Munich had this delicious rice pudding with a fruit compote that you could put on top, and the two together was just amazing!

As far as souvenirs go, I thought the best ones were in Rothenburg. The Kathe Wohlfahrt shops (there is more than one) are great. We didn't buy anything that had to be shipped home, though. Also, spend your free afternoon in Rothenburg "walking the wall." There are numerous places to get on/get off, but we walked for hours. I thought it was really cool, and you get some great views of the city (and it's free). The church in Rothenburg is also amazingly beautiful, and worth a visit (for a small donation). We also did a boat ride in Heidelberg (not free, but reasonably priced) that was very enjoyable.

I'm giving you a link to my trip report, in case you want to take a look. Have a great time! We are headed to Italy this summer, on the Amalfi Coast/Florence ABD.

http://disboards.com/threads/6-12-15-6-20-15-germany-trip-report.3418633/

In Waldeck, our guides recommended a local Italian restaurant in town. Seemed like we ALL ended up there, and it was a hoot, since the owners did not speak English and were quite overwhelmed with all of us converging! It was delicious food and great fun. The owners did their best to play charades with us, pointing at the menu, etc. One of those lovely memories. But, oy, that walk up the hill to the castle is exhausting. They should have a golf cart shuttle! :cutie:

Enjoy

If you like to drink ....... Ask for Local Beer ( 1 liter == large ) or Local Area Wine .in a " carafe " rather than in a bottle.

If you need Water & Sweets then Shop at Aldi or Lidl

We (myself & 12 yr Daughter) are doing the June 3 Germany ABD. She tells me everyday how many more days. We can't wait!

We are thinking about Germany for 2017....I will start looking at trip reports and suggestions...we go in vacation in October, so it will be an end of season trip, most likely. Thank you for listing some great suggestions!

There is a small pharmacy on the corner near the hotel in Rothenburg called Marien - Apothem.

They had the best cough drops / throat lozenges and the round tin has a picture of Rothenburg on the front.

Across the top, it says Rothenburger Hustenzuckerli.

When we were there...they were 2.30 euros per tin.

They made great / inexpensive souvenirs.

I still have the tin on my desk.

Kevin@DreamsUnlimitedTravel.com

There is a small pharmacy on the corner near the hotel in Rothenburg called Marien - Apothem.

They had the best cough drops / throat lozenges and the round tin has a picture of Rothenburg on the front.

Across the top, it says Rothenburger Hustenzuckerli.

When we were there...they were 2.30 euros per tin.

They made great / inexpensive souvenirs.

I still have the tin on my desk.

Kevin@DreamsUnlimitedTravel.com

That was one of my favorite buildings in Rothenburg, too. It's so quintessential German. There is a pic of it at twilight (which is when it looked the prettiest) on page four of my trip report.

I spoke to ABD yesterday and they said we are at 60 days and our trip is still a go. She said it should not be cancelled now unless there is something out of their control but not for lack of interest. Fingers crossed she is correct it went from 15 people in Feb to just 12 now........ I am going to stop worrying so much since we made it to 59 days and counting. Of course we are flying in 5 days earlier into Brussells so that is a whole other concern. I get emails from STEPS warning about visiting Belgium every week now. :(

My family and I are on the June 17th trip. We cannot wait. This is our first adventure by Disney :)

I spoke to ABD yesterday and they said we are at 60 days and our trip is still a go. She said it should not be cancelled now unless there is something out of their control but not for lack of interest. Fingers crossed she is correct it went from 15 people in Feb to just 12 now........ I am going to stop worrying so much since we made it to 59 days and counting. Of course we are flying in 5 days earlier into Brussells so that is a whole other concern. I get emails from STEPS warning about visiting Belgium every week now. :(
12 people on your Germany ABD?! How lucky you are! If I remember correctly, I think we were 27. Loved this trip!

To 2003Eeyore

Stop worrying over Brussels ..... you will be fine .... forget Steps ( whatever it is )

Relax & start thinking positive about your trip.

To 2003Eeyore

Stop worrying over Brussels ..... you will be fine .... forget Steps ( whatever it is )

Relax & start thinking positive about your trip.

Thanks Woodview I will. We are super excited. We have friends we are staying with for four days in Belgium so I am sure we will be fine!

I think it is great that you registered with the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program. Living overseas, we get updates all the time. Basically, be vigilant and avoid crowded places...( :confused3 ..that always makes me laugh.) Still, we travel on! I hope you have a great time in Germany.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter