• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Genie+ park based priced!

Sample pricing has also been published. It will be cheaper for me across 4 park days in each of the parks with no hoppers.
  • Multiple Parks option will be $27.
  • Magic Kingdom will be $27.
  • Epcot will be $18
  • Disney’s Hollywood Studios will be $24
  • Disney’s Animal Kingdom will be $16.

We will be in HS on the 27th. My only concern is that app will be glitchy because of the new thing.

Ugh. This will, of course, drive up Genie+ sales. And that will make the experience worse than the status quo for everyone.

Until now, many people have concluded that Genie+ just isn't worth the cost at EPCOT and Animal Kingdom. With fewer people buying Genie+ for those parks, the Lighting Lanes are shorter and the standby lines are faster (without having to let as many LL people in). Now, more people will buy Genie+ for those parks, since it comes at a significant discount. That makes LL availability worse and LL waits longer, which in turn makes the standby lines longer.

Ugh. This will, of course, drive up Genie+ sales. And that will make the experience worse than the status quo for everyone.

Until now, many people have concluded that Genie+ just isn't worth the cost at EPCOT and Animal Kingdom. With fewer people buying Genie+ for those parks, the Lighting Lanes are shorter and the standby lines are faster (without having to let as many LL people in). Now, more people will buy Genie+ for those parks, since it comes at a significant discount. That makes LL availability worse and LL waits longer, which in turn makes the standby lines longer.
This analysis is sadly correct.

I will admit that I do like Genie+, but I’m not liking this new pricing structure. When Genie+ first started I paid $15 per person per day, which was ok. These prices now are making it very hard for people with large families. At least when we go it’s just my DD and I or sometimes my DH too. We aren’t wealthy people, but we can make it work. If we were a family of 4,5 or 6 (or more) then Genie+ wouldn’t be an option. It’s sad - I feel bad for the larger families.

Sample pricing has also been published. It will be cheaper for me across 4 park days in each of the parks with no hoppers.
  • Multiple Parks option will be $27.
  • Magic Kingdom will be $27.
  • Epcot will be $18
  • Disney’s Hollywood Studios will be $24
  • Disney’s Animal Kingdom will be $16.
Time will tell but I was actually thinking your scenario is likely to be true for most people. I would imagine the majority of people are purchasing single park tickets and will ultimately save money with the cheaper genie+ price for a couple of the parks.

Dynamic pricing and algorithms run rampant in the vacation sphere. I long for the “olden” days of price simplicity.

Is it cheaper? Is it more expensive? It’s really the never ending particulars that have become “too much.”

I love Disney but they are that one friend that just cannot help but complicate things!

Now I just go and bow down to the Genie Gods, but I no longer do table service except for one meal. Still feel blessed.

So...if you have a PH ticket and you do want genie+, but you don't plan to park hop that day, do you still have to buy the PH Genie?

I bought non-refundable PH tickets. With this change, I now wish I hadn't.

Last edited:
So...if you have a PH ticket and you do want genie+, but you don't plan to park hop that day, do you still have to buy the PH Genie?

I bought non-refundable PH tickets. With this change, I now wish I hadn't.
Which single park are you planning to go that day? If AK, then only pay $16 for G+. You don't have to pay the $27 for PH special (according to what I read anyway).

But it’s the parks a person would not normally get Genie+ for (if they are aware that it’s not worth it)

Sucks got those of us that maximize with park hopping 😬

The prices for Epcot and AK are a significant discount compared to the jacked up MK/hopper price. What a crock.

I haven't been to WDW yet since Genie+ took over, so my only experience with it was at Disneyland last summer. Due to the size of the park, and that you can't start booking things until park opening, it was pretty easy and extremely similar to Fast Passes, and only cost $10/pp. Getting educated on Genie+ for my trip to WDW for this Fall feels like I should be getting a PhD. It's too much work before I even look at the cost for our family of 5 for 9 park days. It would take a lot for me to spend over $1000 in just Genie+ if we get it every day.

I'm thinking that before too long, Disney will bring back the old ticket books and charge for every ride...if an E ticket currently costs $15-$22, what would the train cost nowadays? :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter