Genie+ $29 per day but most major rides filled so beware

Just make sure to do your math so your know how much your family is paying for Genie+ an ILL's over the course of your trip. There is a breaking point when it is simply better to add more days to your vacation to have more time to experience the parks and forget the Genie+ nonsense.
This is what I'm hoping works for us. We are going for six days and we always do two in MK and two in EP and one in the other parks, each. I think the only day I'm getting G+/ILL is our HS day, because I just don't see any other way to make a dent there. But otherwise I really don't want to mess with it.

We’ve been here for 17 days and we have had no problem using Genie +. We’re able to get on everything we wanted and most of that was sleeping in and just stacking rides for later. I get up at 7, book the first one and any ILL we might want that day, if any, and then sleep for a while more. We have not gone to a park before 10:30 for the past week and our trip has been fantastic.
Wow, that's an additional $1380 (for two people) if you booked G+ and ILL each day (and the average cost was $20 each).

For clarification, @DavidNYC and @SLThomas318 were either of you at Disney this week and sharing your actual experiences or, more sharing your thoughts based on data you are seeing online?

When I’m planning a trip I pay far more attention to other’s actual experiences when planning out a strategy, especially during the times when the parks are as busy as they currently are.
Nope, was not at the park... was just replying to the OP. I was shocked that he could not click on 1 of the 3 headliners at 7am at Epcot. I used genie+ over this past Thanksgiving (paid the $29 - ouch on the price tag, but the rest of our group had pre-bought it so we added it on) and while I didn't enjoy paying extra, it was useful.

For clarification, @DavidNYC and @SLThomas318 were either of you at Disney this week and sharing your actual experiences or, more sharing your thoughts based on data you are seeing online?

When I’m planning a trip I pay far more attention to other’s actual experiences when planning out a strategy, especially during the times when the parks are as busy as they currently are.
A mix of data and first hand reports from those I have helped with plans this week. I do not doubt that the poster was unhappy with what he was able to get with Genie+. Parks were packed and unless you were actively refreshing and modifying, you were unlikely to get a 2nd "headliner" by the time you were 2 hours past park opening. But based on the other first hand reports and the data we do do have - the fact remains that both point to nearly everything being available right at 7 and the vast majority still available until after park opening. Now - whether him saying "nothing was available" really meant "the only return times were really late in the day" I cannot say. Or maybe his phone was glitching. Or maybe he didn't start trying to use Genie+ until park opening. But accuracy is important and we have multiple data points that most rides he said were unavailable within minutes did in fact have availability at 7am and at least a while past park opening.

We are here now, it’s the busiest we have ever seen it, have done one Christmas trip before back in 2003, others have been summer school holidays. We have found rope drop as we are on site the best this holiday if you want to guarantee the rides. We did toy Story mania twice at opening yesterday with no queues and then the Mickey/Minnie ride twice also with relatively little queue second time around. 3 year old under who loves them and under height and braveness for slinky just yet.

Had previously done the Star Wars ones at rope drop on another day.
we did try a genie+ one day and my very brief summary is that whereas years ago, the best fast pass strategy was to get in early, collect them and get out, with genie+, to maximize, you do what’s suggested above, make it a two park day and get a break after an early start or recognize that its a later day unless lucky, we secured slinky, smugglers run, toy story mania and alien one, the others had to be show based after that but we stayed in the one park.
Did we get good value, I think just about as we could concentrate on other things once we were had a ride secured, enjoyed some characters, some shows, theming, coffee etc would I pay for it every day when from the UK and you generally have two weeks to cover the rides, no, if I just had 4-5 days here like a lot of the US audience who holiday in shorter blocks, definitely yes and that’s why it was introduced.
Also noticed a lot more of the vip tours this time, maybe after the entry price, genie+ it works out well if you want to blast the parks and go straight to the front and you are time short.
Different budgets for everyone, we don’t any sit down meals, take snacks into the parks along with breakfast so save on that and put the money towards to Xmas party where we managed to do the whole of MK pretty much in that evening but recognize that’s not a cheap party night.
Interesting, We were there 12/27/22-1/1/23 and I felt like the crowds were much lower than we've ever experienced at the holidays. This just shows how everyone has a different perception and everyone has to decide for themselves. I also didn't experience any "dirty parks" like other people have posted about and I am a clean freak.

The Genie+ thing that OP posted about is very true though. If you are not up at 7am booking an ILL and your first Genie+, good luck! MK is the best park for it because there are so many rides. DHS was okay, not great. It just sucks in general that you can't plan your day at all. We used to do morning parks, break at hotel in afternoons, and then back out in the evening for dinner or Disney Springs. Now, you are a prisoner to the times Genie+ gives you for rides and it spreads it out over the whole day. Not a fan at all. People say to keep refreshing, and maybe that works if you're 1-3 people, but we had zero luck with that with our larger party.

Last edited:

This is what I'm hoping works for us. We are going for six days and we always do two in MK and two in EP and one in the other parks, each. I think the only day I'm getting G+/ILL is our HS day, because I just don't see any other way to make a dent there. But otherwise I really don't want to mess with it.
We did 6 park days last March during peak spring break crowds. It was busy but we did just about everything without any genie+ purchases, as off-property guests. We skipped ROTR and Space Mountain but did everything else through early mornings/late nights.

I was at Disney from December 22 - January 1st. I did not set my alarm for 7 am but woke up on my own by 8 each day. I had no problem getting at least one "Tier 1" ride at any park by booking before 8 each day.

Just make sure to do your math so your know how much your family is paying for Genie+ an ILL's over the course of your trip. There is a breaking point when it is simply better to add more days to your vacation to have more time to experience the parks and forget the Genie+ nonsense.
The problem with this though is that it assumes that someone will get the same enjoyment from spending 4 days at WDW without Genie+ as they would 2 days with Genie+ (as an example). Personally, I would find 4 days standing in hour plus lines for everything to be absolutely abysmal, even if I got to do everything I wanted.

Interesting, We were there 12/27/22-1/1/23 and I felt like the crowds were much lower than we've ever experienced at the holidays. This just shows how everyone has a different perception and everyone has to decide for themselves. I also didn't experience any "dirty parks" like other people have posted about and I am a clean freak.

The Genie+ thing that OP posted about is very true though. If you are not up at 7am booking an ILL and your first Genie+, good luck! MK is the best park for it because there are so many rides. DHS was okay, not great. It just sucks in general that you can't plan your day at all. We used to do morning parks, break at hotel in afternoons, and then back out in the evening for dinner or Disney Springs. Now, you are a prisoner to the times Genie+ gives you for rides and it spreads it out over the whole day. Not a fan at all. People say to keep refreshing, and maybe that works if you're 1-3 people, but we had zero luck with that with our larger party.
In my experience this past week, at Magic Kingdom, unless you really wanted to do Jungle Cruise or Peter Pan in the morning first thing, you did not need to wake up at 7 am to make your first selection. So long as you made your first selection prior to park opening to start a stack it didn't matter.

Prices are variable based on demand. Christmas is the most expensive time of the year to visit Disney. From the reports I've seen, they are severely underpricing it.
So I used genie+ over Thanksgiving (day before, day of, and day after) and while I didn't enjoy paying $29, it did work well compared to previous times we tried it. A lot more availability. I was thinking the price point was helping in terms of demand. I did not compare crowd levels to Christmas break, so maybe this Christmas break was just bonkers compared to this Thanksgiving. My other thought was the recent change to allow people to modify without re-setting the 2 hr cool down. A positive feature for sure, but one that is going to add to the issues during the super busy weeks since there is only so much ride capacity.

I was there 12/27-1/2. On 12/28 we started at Epcot and ended at MK. We did LLs for Test Track (first selection). Peter Pan, Big Thunder, Space Mtn, Haunted Mansion, and Pirates.

12/29 for HS we did LLs for Slinky (first selection), TSMM, ToT, RnRC, Smugglers Run, and MMRR

12/30 for MK we had LLs for Peter Pan (first selection), Buzz, Pooh, Space Mtn, Big Thunder, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Small World, and Dumbo.

12/31–we did LLs for Test Track (first selection), Slinky, RnRC, TSMM, MMRR, and Smugglers Run. I booked Slinky after tapping in to Test Track at 1015 am.

I did not spend my time buried in the phone. Just booked something whenever I was allowed (either the 120 minute rule or after tapping in). The key is to grab anything at the time and then modify. Modifying does not reset your clock. So if you don’t see anything you want, grab anything so your 120 minute clock starts and then periodically check to modify to something better. I spent maybe 5 minutes for each selection.

We are done using G+ as we leave tomorrow and don’t want to pay another 29$x4 for the few hours we will be at MK tonight.

12/29: ILL for Safari, Everest, FOTLK, Kali River

12/30: ILL for Pirates, Christmas parade, Jingle Cruise, Space, Splash, Speedway, Buzz and Barnstormer (took a long afternoon break and rode everything else, including 7DMT standby except HM)

1/1: ILL for Remy, Frozen, Soarin’, Mission:Space

1/2: ILL for SDD, Smuggler run, Mickey and Minnie train ride, Rock and Roll coaster, Toy Story Mania and Star Tour

Was a VERY expensive addition to our trip but without G+ it would have been impossible to ride everything. With early entry (best strategy if staying onsite) and some ILL$ we did every ride that was on our list except HM (will do tonight standby) with only three 60+ min waits.

In my experience this past week, at Magic Kingdom, unless you really wanted to do Jungle Cruise or Peter Pan in the morning first thing, you did not need to wake up at 7 am to make your first selection. So long as you made your first selection prior to park opening to start a stack it didn't matter.
Yeah, MK is the easiest one for sure to be able to sleep in because there are a good amount of rides. I did want Jungle Cruise though, woke up at 7a, and got a 3:05p return time. Got a 635p return time for 7DMT at 7am. I definitely did not want either to be that late.

We’ve been here since 12/28 and are leaving tomorrow. We bought Genie+ on our Hollywood Studios day (1/1), but otherwise they priced us out of buying it. I refused to spend $153 extra a day (instead added several meals). It did help with Hollywood Studios, but our times were so spread out that it made for a pretty long and miserable day. I was also not able to modify despite constantly trying to do it (which took me away from family time). We are definitely not fans.

So, I had added to our tickets for length of stay when that was still possible and we are leaving today. genie + worked very well… got all the rides we wanted, never waited in any long lines. A couple days we slept in (I still started booked at 7am) and a couple days we combines Genie + with rope drops… was a great trip and very efficient overall, Modify is a huge success… especially if booking for a park hope. I was able to stack up Epcot in an efficient order with Modify to hit Test Track, mission space, guardians, then off to spaceship earth, soarin and remy before dinner in the UK (so minimize the walking back and forth). That was after an AM in Animal Kingdom hitting FOP and Navi with rope drop, the EE and Kali. We then had brunch at the resort and a nice bit of downtime. Overall, it worked very well. (Dec 31 - Jan 4 for our trip)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter