Generalized Anxiety Disorder - anyone?

frostedpink

Mouseketeer
Hi, just wondering if anyone else here has Generalized Anxiety Disorder? I’ve been struggling with this for years. In fact, I can’t really remember a time when I felt carefree and wasn’t worrying about SOMETHING.

What sort of coping strategies do you use to calm yourself down when something stressful/upsetting happens in your life? I’ve had a couple of incidences lately when small things have happened that have caused full blown anxiety attacks for me and it takes me a couple of days to recover. I really need to figure out a way to manage my first initial reactions to a stressful event…like within the first 2 minutes. Because if I don’t stop the anxiety at that point, it just takes off and I’m at its mercy.

I also struggle a lot with ruminating thoughts about either current or past stressful situations. My mind tortures itself for hours on end. Days even. I always go to the worst case scenario and beyond. I get embarrassed to even talk about how far my worries go. I can play the ‘what if’ game for hours and come up with some pretty impressive scenarios.

I use 4-7-8 breathing. Breath in through your nose for 4 counts, hold for 7, exhale through your mouth for 8 counts. Repeat 4-5 times. This takes about a minute, and you will seriously be relaxed. Do this at least twice a day for a month. More often as anxiety dictates. :-D

I don't have suggestions for you, but I could have written your post because I am exactly the same way and I am also embarrassed by the downright lunacy of my fears. If my husband and or kids don't pick up their cell phones, I'm sure something terrible has happened to them. If they or I experience any pain, my mind immediately goes to cancer. I worry all the time about getting fired, even though I've only had good performance reviews. Everytime i let my dog in my fenced backyard, I have anxiety about him getting loose and disappearing or getting hit by a car. I worry about news stories I see, political elections, everything. It's a very difficult way to live and I'm truly envious of people who can just live their lives without the stress of constant anxiety.

You're not alone. I don't have coping mechanisms and I won't do drugs or shrinks. Just not for me. I'm interested in seeing the other responses, though.

Thank you MNRose!! I will try that.

SandiR, I am an expert at turning a molehill into a mountain. The smallest event that most people wouldn't even think twice about becomes irrational and obsessive thoughts

Two books to recommend for you that have lots of ideas and therapies:

The Wellness Book

The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook

Both are available on Amazon. Good luck. :flower3:

Step 1: Find a good therapist to work with on finding the root of your anxiety. That's key. Coping techniques and medication only go so far, you really need to know the WHY

Step 2: Start paying attention to what starts your spiral. For me, I have automatic negative thoughts or intrusive thoughts (meaning, I think of "bad things" happening out of the blue). I used to indulge them, but now I realized that I cannot. I have to stop them, even to the point of saying "nope, not going there" out loud.

Step 3: Distraction techniques. Games work better for me than books or tv. IN a pinch, I try to do more complicated math (counting up by 6s or 7s, trying to multiply large numbers). Typically, if I feel myself starting to settle into a panic attack, I can kind of disconnect and play a game on my phone for a while and it's pretty successful.

Step 4: Stop feeding the wrong wolf. That means I can't participate in behavior that causes me to be more anxious. I have "cardiphobia" which means I worry something is wrong with my heart. (There's not. I'm healthy). I can't do things like google symptoms, check my pulse or do other activities that support my anxious state

Lastly

Step 5: Find a good medication while you work on steps 1-4.

Used to suffer from it amongst a plethora of other conditions but was successfully treated with medication. My brother still battles with it. It's more serious than people give it credit for.

I have always been a worrier, but anxiety hit me more with menopause. Medication did not do much for me, but I have found daily morning exercise and tai chi have helped me cope. I still spend too much time when I should be sleeping thinking about things that happened or might happen. Cognitive behavioral therapy books may help some too, especially the Feeling Good Handbook by David Burns which helped me some.

I spent a couple of months totally stressed out over my son's move to NYC -helping him find apartments, uncertainty about some issues, apartment fell through, another trip to find another apartment. I couldn't sleep, couldn't eat until about 3 in the afternoon each day, was a mess. Eventually it worked out, but I have found my daily exercise class is very helpful. I am facing another stressful event with my DD and I am trying to keep those feelings under control.

Last edited:
Im not sure if I have that or some other disorder but what I am sure of is that I need to be on some type of medication ::yes::

One thing that may or may not possibly help is taking a B Complex vitamin every day. Apparently B vitamins can help diminish the symptoms of anxiety.

i have had periodic episodes of anxiety over the years and have found that consistently taking a B Complex everyday has really seemed to help me.

May be worth a try since taking one can't harm you....our bodies expel the extra through urine.

Good luck to you!!

I do not have it but other family members suffer. Good advice from 3Gsandme.

As far as your issues, part of it is to recognize that this is a part of you and something you need to learn to manage, just like anything else in your life. Acceptance can go a long way with helping you move forward to the next steps.

The rumination is not an easy thing to deal with. A therapist can help you develop "tools" to learn how to manage your issues. What works for one person, may not help another. It is very personal.

I hate to say this but you have to watch out for depression. In some people the rumination is so severe that it can lead to depression.

Starting with a therapist is a good first step imo.

That being said if you are debilitated by your issues (unable to apply the therapists strategies for example), I would see a psychiatrist and get some meds help plus see a therapist.

Best wishes to you on your journey.:goodvibes

I use 4-7-8 breathing. Breath in through your nose for 4 counts, hold for 7, exhale through your mouth for 8 counts. Repeat 4-5 times. This takes about a minute, and you will seriously be relaxed. Do this at least twice a day for a month. More often as anxiety dictates. :-D

I don't suffer from general anxiety (more how the heck am I going to pay these bills? anxiety) but sometimes I have a hard time falling asleep because I am fretting about things. I learned this breathing trick a few months ago, and it works so well! I'm asleep within a few minutes. I definitely recommend it.

I agree with PP...find the root cause.

I use this technique for pain.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter