General Universal questions for new visitor

dja14

Mouseketeer
I am working on our budget for our next trip for Aug 2016 (last full week and week of Aug/Sept before Labor day) We have never been to Universal but are huge Harry Potter fans so want to give it a try. I have a few questions I know someone can answer. (Mom, Dad, 3 teens, 1w/high functioning autism and 1 with type 1 diabetes-omnipod pump)

Can we see everything at the parks in 3 days? We love coasters so in addition to exploring the HP areas we will want to ride everything else. I have already rented a condo but have thought about renting a room for one night, do I need to? If I do, do the rooms have a mini fridge? (son is type 1 diabetic so it would be easier with one) They are older now so we can do lines but I would guess 20-30 minutes will be our max. We are not good in tight crowds (but this is the least crowded time we can go due to work) At Disney we usually do not spend all day in the parks but I am hoping to this time and I plan to at Universal (maybe 1 whole and 2 3/4 days?)

If we stay overnight is there anywhere close to grab a quick breakfast? Not necessary to be yogurt healthy but maybe protein/carb combo? No way will they sit and eat whole meal those days but we can't go and wait til later either

Can we get a roll away bed? They will let me make a reservation for 5 but I can't figure out where the 5th bed is.

Are the freestyle machines everywhere? Can you use the freestyle mugs in the counter service places? Are there any diet drink options in the HP area? (I know they won't have diet dr P but just wonder at options) How early do restaurants int eh parks usually close before park close? Does everything close (stands too?) I am trying to figure out if we need to carry more than emergency tablets

Thank you.

I can answer the length of stay. Three days should be enough. Pending on how much you see the first day and then two you can consider an express pass (unless you are staying onsite other than Cabana Bay you will get that automatically).

My son and grandaughter are both Type 1 diabetics. We stay at Portofino Bay hotel when at Universal and they provide a mini refrigerator at no extra cost to us for medical need for their insulin. I have heard they do this at Royal Pacific also.

We bought the Coke freestyle cups and there are diet soft drink options. The machines are spread throughout the park.

We stop at market before checking in hotel. We get muffins, fruit, yogurt, granola bars, water, diet soft drinks, juice and we have breakfast in the room. There is a Starbucks now at Portofino and they have breakfast options. You can download the Starbucks app and the menu on the app has the calories and carbohydrate numbers to help with blood sugar diet options.

We had no problem finding healthy option choices for our meals while at Universal. We liked Mytho's and the the family feast at Three Broomsticks in Hogsmeade.

We carry fast acting carbohydrates to help with any blood sugar lows that might occur, as well as fruit and snack crackers.

We had reservations at Mytho's for lunch so we did not have to wait. Mytho's is popular and there can be a wait.

You are doing a lot of walking and the extra exercise does bring down the blood sugar in diabetics. So having the extra snacks in between meals was nice to have.

Stay hydrated, wear your sunscreen and enjoy rest breaks as needed. Have fun.

Last edited:
I am type 2 diabetic (non-insulin). I try to keep to water (I also am on dialysis so I am limited to 32 ounces of water a day). I agree with the healthy food options.

there is a nightly charge for a roll away bed to be brought to your room if you are staying deluxe onsite.

I can't answer most of your questions, but I can say that you can probably see everything in three days, and our family planned to do just that. However, we took daily pool breaks and found that there were some things we really wanted to do over and over, so we missed doing several things. That was fine because we prioritized and did the things we really wanted to do, and like I said, did several of them multiple times. We could have easily spent 4 or 5 days in the parks without getting tired of them, though. For me, staying on site really made our Universal experience. I know you said you have already rented a condo, but if you can afford to add a night or two in an onsite deluxe resort, it will really enhance your trip - with express passes, accessibility (walk or boat to parks), and the beautiful resorts and grounds.

The roll away bed is $25 a night, I believe. Some people have said they bring their own twin air mattress. We brought a cot for our daughter (small- she is only 2) and it worked out fine, though the rooms in the Royal Pacific are small and you do have to squeeze in the extra bed. Of course, you have to do that with the roll away, also.

Thank you all. It sounds like I am on the right mental path. I think I will put the extra room in the maybe column for now but I know they would love front of the line. If not it sounds like we would be okay. Thank you also for all the type 1 and 2 advice. He has has diabetes for a few years now, so we know what to do, but we have not been to the parks since then. Sometimes a small amount of exercise can drop him really low, so it seems like we will be carrying our emergency stuff and some food for him as well

when you book, tell the reservationist you need a fridge due to a medical condition.
when the room scheduler starts assigning rooms about 5 days out, that person should set it up.
at checkin time, let the TM at the counter know you are expecting a fridge.
it is free due to a medical need.

when my son and dil checked to rpr in feb this year, the front desk held her insulin in their behind the room counter fridge.
their room was not ready and it needed to be kept in a fridge.
if you need that service, let them know as sometimes rooms are not ready at the time you check in.

stay on site and use the star service program.
in your room on the phone is a button of "star service"

ring them and ask to bring extra blankets so you can make a pallet on the floor.
ask for sheets, pillows, extra..
free no charge.
if you are there for one night, i can work and you'll save the rollaway bed costs.

I am working on our budget for our next trip for Aug 2016 (last full week and week of Aug/Sept before Labor day) We have never been to Universal but are huge Harry Potter fans so want to give it a try. I have a few questions I know someone can answer. (Mom, Dad, 3 teens, 1w/high functioning autism and 1 with type 1 diabetes-omnipod pump)

Can we see everything at the parks in 3 days? We love coasters so in addition to exploring the HP areas we will want to ride everything else. I have already rented a condo but have thought about renting a room for one night, do I need to? If I do, do the rooms have a mini fridge? (son is type 1 diabetic so it would be easier with one) They are older now so we can do lines but I would guess 20-30 minutes will be our max. We are not good in tight crowds (but this is the least crowded time we can go due to work) At Disney we usually do not spend all day in the parks but I am hoping to this time and I plan to at Universal (maybe 1 whole and 2 3/4 days?)

Three park days are good. We just did that with the park to park tickets I purchases from Undercover Tourist. They were a bit cheaper than getting them through Universal.
We stayed in a delux room at HRH. I got a great deal through cheaptickets.com. We had two queen beds and a pull out sofa (ask for an extra mattress topper to make it more comfy). We had a mini fridge in the room (free), so we hit the grocery store for waters, OJ, breakfast items and a few snacks. The delux rooms are big so for 5 you will have lots of room and not feel so cramped. Also, if you stay onsite you get the FOTL pass which saves you time in lines. We would never to Universal without that. HRH is also a quick walk to the parks or you can take the boat. We also LOVE the pool at HRH and spend a lot of time there.

If we stay overnight is there anywhere close to grab a quick breakfast? Not necessary to be yogurt healthy but maybe protein/carb combo? No way will they sit and eat whole meal those days but we can't go and wait til later either

I'm not sure. We always stay onsite and grocery shop for breakfast.

Can we get a roll away bed? They will let me make a reservation for 5 but I can't figure out where the 5th bed is.

HRH delux rooms sleep 5 very easily.

Are the freestyle machines everywhere? Can you use the freestyle mugs in the counter service places? Are there any diet drink options in the HP area? (I know they won't have diet dr P but just wonder at options) How early do restaurants int eh parks usually close before park close? Does everything close (stands too?) I am trying to figure out if we need to carry more than emergency tablets

We bought the "other" refillable mug and not the freestyle one. I paid about $9/$10 for it and if we wanted to refill with soda, we paid about a $1.50....I can't remember because we mostly just got water fills. It's good for life so you can bring it back for years and years. The Coke ones you pay for refills by the day. We aren't big soda drinkers.

Thank you.

I didn't read the other replies, but will give you my thoughts. We just returned. I'm putting my answers above. Hope that helps some.

Just an FYI Coca Cola Freestyle machines also have POWERADE and LIGHT LEMONADE - both of which are NOT soda and are not carbonated. I cannot have anything with carbonation but still get the cup. Secondly - if you are going for three days - buy the cups the first day and bring them back! Adding additional days to your cup is like $6.00 per cup per day so you will already be saving quite a bit of money. All they do is reactivate the chip on the bottom. $6.00 for unlimited drinks all day is quite a deal!!!!

IN HP areas - there are no drinks from any company like Coke. They have specialty drinks like Butterbeer, etc but nothing not recognizable in the HP world.

The refurbed Royal Pacific rooms have refrigerators. You could specify your need on your reservations.

Just an FYI Coca Cola Freestyle machines also have POWERADE and LIGHT LEMONADE - both of which are NOT soda and are not carbonated. I cannot have anything with carbonation but still get the cup. Secondly - if you are going for three days - buy the cups the first day and bring them back! Adding additional days to your cup is like $6.00 per cup per day so you will already be saving quite a bit of money. All they do is reactivate the chip on the bottom. $6.00 for unlimited drinks all day is quite a deal!!!!

IN HP areas - there are no drinks from any company like Coke. They have specialty drinks like Butterbeer, etc but nothing not recognizable in the HP world.

This sounds like a deal the more I hear about it. Next time I might get one. Powerade is great for me as is lemonade.

I'd add 3 broomsticks and Leaky Cauldron are on the 2 place in the parks I found you could get unsweetened Ice Tea that's not table service. The Leaky Cauldron doesn't have it listed but you can get it. I think there may also be 1 place in City Walk. I bought the Cabana Bay Freestyle Cup but used a "red refillable mug" I purchased in 2008 in the parks. Several of the fountain drinks also have PowerAde. I drink pop frequently but I also like other beverages as well. The $.99 refills with the red refill cups has served me well.

I have put the freestyle mugs in the definite budget column. Even my husband felt that in August it would be easy for the kids to run up a huge bill being thirsty. We typically carry water bottles (and still will at Disney) but for that cost, for a few days, will be worth it and fun, I think. I know we will still have to carry stuff, but at least we won't have to lug a diet six pack all day (that alone makes it worth it).

I really appreciate everyone's comments.

Thank you.

Funny, dja14, I started reading this to my wife and she thought I was writing it. :)
Many similarities.....
We are going part of the last week of August and the first week of September THIS year and we are adding Universal parks for the first time. (Front end of the trip for us, 4 nights at Universal and 6 at Disney).
We also have three teens and one is a type 1 diabetic with a pump (and thank god for the pump....makes life much easier, especially when traveling).
We're staying at Cabana Bay for 4 nights....confirmed they do have a fridge in our room....its a family suite and was surprisingly cheap. It gives us EE to WWOHP (only hogsmead, I think) but not the express passes. We decided that this time of year, it was the right option based on lowish crowds.
Based on other feedback, I am thinking we can see everything we want this time of year with 3.5 days....and a couple of those being EE. Also seems much easier to take a mid day pool break at UO with hotel being so close.
We plan to stock our room/fridge with food (limo/car service from airport includes a grocery store stop)and that will be breakfast most days. We go for a lot of cliff bar-type items....good balance of protein and carbs and KNOWN carb values.....one less meal to have to guesstimate for carbs. Also very fast and doesn't interfere with our early morning rope drop efforts. We save longer more expensive meals for lunch or dinner.
We haven't considered drink mugs yet, but your post is making me think about it.
One important diabetes related parks suggestion.....bring several extra infusion setups. The first big trip we had after my daughter was on a pump (10 years ago at his point) we ALMOST ran out of infusions. Wasn't considering loosing a couple to lots of swimming and sweating. Now we bring at least two or three more than we think we need.
We also ALWAYS keep some extra food with us....similar for stuff as for breakfast, cliff or granola bars (mini-cliff bars are super portable and durable, don't crush, about 15 carbs, good mix of fast sugar and slower complex carbs). We have learned not to count on being in the right place and time to get food when we really need it. You don't want to bail on a line or show for a low BG unless you really have to. Having stuff in our pockets minimizes the need. Also, mealtimes on a theme park day tend to be funky for us compared to a normal day, so having some extra food allows us more flexibility.

Sorry if I rambled a bit, but some of that was meant to either answer or at least coincide with your questions.

Hopefully I'll know more after Labor Day! Hoping for a good trip on our first jaunt into the dark side. :-)

Funny, dja14, I started reading this to my wife and she thought I was writing it. :)
Many similarities.....
We are going part of the last week of August and the first week of September THIS year and we are adding Universal parks for the first time. (Front end of the trip for us, 4 nights at Universal and 6 at Disney).
We also have three teens and one is a type 1 diabetic with a pump (and thank god for the pump....makes life much easier, especially when traveling).
We're staying at Cabana Bay for 4 nights....confirmed they do have a fridge in our room....its a family suite and was surprisingly cheap. It gives us EE to WWOHP (only hogsmead, I think) but not the express passes. We decided that this time of year, it was the right option based on lowish crowds.
Based on other feedback, I am thinking we can see everything we want this time of year with 3.5 days....and a couple of those being EE. Also seems much easier to take a mid day pool break at UO with hotel being so close.
We plan to stock our room/fridge with food (limo/car service from airport includes a grocery store stop)and that will be breakfast most days. We go for a lot of cliff bar-type items....good balance of protein and carbs and KNOWN carb values.....one less meal to have to guesstimate for carbs. Also very fast and doesn't interfere with our early morning rope drop efforts. We save longer more expensive meals for lunch or dinner.
We haven't considered drink mugs yet, but your post is making me think about it.
One important diabetes related parks suggestion.....bring several extra infusion setups. The first big trip we had after my daughter was on a pump (10 years ago at his point) we ALMOST ran out of infusions. Wasn't considering loosing a couple to lots of swimming and sweating. Now we bring at least two or three more than we think we need.
We also ALWAYS keep some extra food with us....similar for stuff as for breakfast, cliff or granola bars (mini-cliff bars are super portable and durable, don't crush, about 15 carbs, good mix of fast sugar and slower complex carbs). We have learned not to count on being in the right place and time to get food when we really need it. You don't want to bail on a line or show for a low BG unless you really have to. Having stuff in our pockets minimizes the need. Also, mealtimes on a theme park day tend to be funky for us compared to a normal day, so having some extra food allows us more flexibility.

Sorry if I rambled a bit, but some of that was meant to either answer or at least coincide with your questions.

Hopefully I'll know more after Labor Day! Hoping for a good trip on our first jaunt into the dark side. :-)

Thank you so much. It is nice to hear another families plan that is so similar to ours. I hope you all have a wonderful time.

Our son uses the omnipod and I have learned to take plenty along. Even though they are supposed to be waterproof and sweatproof, etc, we have found they only stay on about half the time (or less) So I am planning for that. And we always travel with food, everywhere, even if I think we can buy it. I have also dropped a bottle of insulin so we always take extra of that too. I am really trying not to be nervous but this is our first big trip since he was diagnosed. We have been on a couple short trips though, so I am planning with those lessons in mind. He is very sensitive to both carbs and insulin, which our dr has assured me is normal. I already planned ahead because of ours kids with autism, so I now add this but trying not to be crazy with it. I am worried about having to estimate so much with food, especially when I know the walking will change things. I am going to check the cliff bars, he really doesn't care for such things but I think we need something small like that. The one energy bar he does like is chocolate coated so I know that won't work.

I would love to hear how your trip goes and I hope you all have a wonderful time with only the best kind of excitement:)

I am planning our first trip for mid-December and one thing that I read is that, on most rides, you have to put everyone in a free locker (except it's not free for the water rides) unless you can put it in a pocket that zips up. If that is true, you may want to consider someone wearing pants with a zippered pocket so that you can have a few essentials with you while waiting in line. Someone please correct me if I have understood this incorrectly.

I am planning our first trip for mid-December and one thing that I read is that, on most rides, you have to put everyone in a free locker (except it's not free for the water rides) unless you can put it in a pocket that zips up. If that is true, you may want to consider someone wearing pants with a zippered pocket so that you can have a few essentials with you while waiting in line. Someone please correct me if I have understood this incorrectly.

True. Rides that require a locker have them for free while your ride. Very easy o use. Water rides do not have free lockers, but there are paid lockers near by. It's $3 for an hour and IMO, well worth it. Everything will get soaked. We rent a locker and ride as many times as we can in that hour. We store everything!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter